Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Feature: Reactions

The What?
This evening, I'm turning on a long overdue feature that allows members to quickly react in different ways to discussions and comments. You'll see a set of buttons under each comment that can be used to highlight interesting discussions, suppress abusive comments, flag abusive members, and create more nuanced reputation profiles.

The Why?
We're always looking to create a better experience for our users, with the aim of making the site more pleasant and productive. There are many scenarios where one might find themselves agreeing with a post but unable to reinforce that with support in the form of a comment. Often, good content is met with a nod of the head, but nothing more and this has an effect on the kinds of comments that flourish within the group. This means that more negative and provocative content has the chance to dominate the mood of the Forum. This new feature will mean that members can give feedback to things they "Like" and find interesting etc. without having to actually verbalise their support when that is not possible or desirable. Likewise, members will be able to "Flag" unacceptable behaviour for the attention of moderators (Important Note: this is not to be used for content you simply don't like or agree with, but is reserved for content that violates the terms of service e.g. abusive behaviour)

There are other elements that will be used in combination with these new reactions in the near future as we begin to develop new ways of managing the community and providing a more pleasant and productive experience.

The How
As mentioned, you'll now see the active "reactions" under each comment. It's easy: the "Like" button works just as you'd expect based on use of social media platforms like Facebook. When a user's comment receives support they will be rewarded with CL points. These points will help to feed their reputation score and will help us to generate an engine for surfacing the best content (i.e. content with the most points) as decided by members. You'll be able to scroll through content that has earned support from members in the "Best of" gallery, which is to be found in the control panel to the left. Likewise, members will lose points for being "Warned" by admin or having their content "flagged" beyond a certain threshold of users.

Any questions, just ask!

Comments

• Any chance of an "eyeroll" button for those comments that aren't flaggable, but trigger an "oh gawd, not again" reaction? I appreciate there are pros and cons to this - it's probably not what you want if you're aiming for positivity, but might help minimise the bickering responses in threads such as those where Nathan's said something daft about his jobsearch, Len's having a rant about the EU, Rick's posted someting critical of the club, or someone's done the "look what daft things they're saying on Into The Valley" thing again.
  • edited December 2013
    Just tested them out, as a non farcebook user didn't know what it was all about
    Very simples and you can't mark yourselves all tho I'm not sure if I flagged myself ..... Don't think you can LOL and Like its one or t'other and you can't Flag an Lol or like
  • ....sorry I just read Kaps post, gonna Like it now
  • You can also see who has Liked or LOL'd your post don't know if you can see who's Flag'd the post I will test it out on Big Rob above
    #teenager
  • Definitely should have had an unlike button. Would be great fun to see the balance of like and unlikes to a comment .
  • I can see I've flagged Big Rob for abuse and also I could take it down by reclicking over it , can anyone else see I've flagged him ?
  • Not on my mobile I can't .
  • Prolly just shows me so I can unflag it
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't see who's liked or flagged me.
  • How do I get one of me informative, entertaining and sometimes comical posts in the Best Of bit?
  • BIG_ROB said:

I can't see who's liked or flagged me.

You've got 4 likes on the post that ends with a
    :)

• Oh, you gotta be on full site to who Liked your post
  • Have to say I'm not keen on the whole thumbs up/thumbs down thing in general. I've seen it elsewhere and it can turn a debate into a popularity contest and the reverse, regardless of the merits of the post or otherwise. From what I can work out you can at least see who's piling in with the thumbs up(?) so at least posters cannot hide behind their anonymity if they are agreeing with particularly nasty or offensive posts.

On the other hand if it helps admin and the mods out in any way then we all have to support it don't we.
  • Bournemouth, we are just playing around with new ways to try and hopefully improve and support the quality of content and usage. We'll give it a trial run and if it doesn't work over a period of time, we'll just remove it again.

The forum has stayed unchanged for two years now, so we always aim to try and freshen it up in certain ways occasionally.
  • Bournemouth, we are just playing around with new ways to try and hopefully improve and support the quality of content and usage. We'll give it a trial run and if it doesn't work over a period of time, we'll just remove it again.

The forum has stayed unchanged for two years now, so we always aim to try and freshen it up in certain ways occasionally.

No probs Barts, just putting my preference for a site where you actively/publically have to show support or otherwise out there. Not really a Facebook user so maybe a reflection of that too.

At the end of the day mate, if it makes your job easier and leads to an improved site for the majority then crack on and those grumpy old farts like me will just have to get used to it :-)
  • How about a submarine, so that after a specific number of votes the thread gets sunk :-)
  • BIG_ROB said:

I can't see who's liked or flagged me.

I like you mate but you already know that ;-)
  • I've just flagged ooh aah! Haha. I don't think that button is going to work out too well.
  • Sponsored links:

• I un flagged it.
    I think I might get into trouble!
  • Facebook et al are closed books to me but, unless I've got it wildly wrong, I can see potential for "ganging up" on individual posters by a tag team of opponents.

If oofing people off the forum is to be based on such criteria then diversity of opinion could quickly disappear down the tube.

• edited December 2013
    Can I make a request for the takeover thread, a couple of additional boxes, in the know and guessing, think that would help clarify things :-)
  • Curb_It said:

I've just flagged ooh aah! Haha. I don't think that button is going to work out too well.

Flag me again then I can see if when you flag someone they know you've flagged em
  • LenGlover said:

Facebook et al are closed books to me but, unless I've got it wildly wrong, I can see potential for "ganging up" on individual posters by a tag team of opponents.

If oofing people off the forum is to be based on such criteria then diversity of opinion could quickly disappear down the tube.

Perhaps you're right Len, looks like the mods are ganging up on you ;-)
  • edited December 2013
    The trouble for me is that most of my funny comments, jokes and good posts are historical and I am not going to get points for!

Gutted ;)

Good stuff btw
  • I got an Abuse against me, wtf was that for, it ain't telling me the why's and where fors
  • ...just give you a cheeky LOL @EastTerrace pal, but I won't be making a habit of it
  • BIG_ROB said:

I got an Abuse against me, wtf was that for, it ain't telling me the why's and where fors

That was me testing it out

I can see I've flagged Big Rob for abuse and also I could take it down by reclicking over it , can anyone else see I've flagged him ?

• I can see you flagged him, but don't know it's "you" if that makes sense