Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Sheff Wed | Sun 29th Dec 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

The last fixture of 2013 at the Valley sees Charlton face Sheffield Wednesday with the Addicks looking to build on an impressive 3-2 victory over Brighton on Boxing Day.

Both these sides have found it hard to really get going this season and with Charlton in 19th place and Wednesday in 22nd it’s really hard to decide which way the game is going to go.

However one stat that falls in the Addicks favour is that the ‘Massives’ have only one once on their travels this season and have only collected nine points from a possible 33 available away from Hillsborough (stat from BBC).

The Opposition

Since caretaker boss Stuart Gray took over after the departure of Dave Jones, things have slightly improved for Wednesday with Gray’s side picking up two victories, two defeats and a draw since Gray arrived in early December.

Despite Wednesday’s struggles, their squad does have the capabilities of causing one or two issues for the Addicks. 6ft 6in Atdhe Nuhiu will cause a few problems aerially, while doubtful loanee Connor Wickham could be the one to watch if he does pass fitness test on Sunday.

Sunday could also see the return of two ex-Addicks in the shape of Millwall-hater Jose Semedo and Petr Cech’s idol Miguel Llera.

Player to Watch

The player to watch this weekend is Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Jose Semedo. While this selection isn’t based on his ability, Charlton shouldn’t underestimate the performance that the ex-Addick is capable of. Semedo’s strength and ability to break up-play will mean Dale Stephens and Jordan Cousins will have to be on top form to overcome Semedo.

The Line –Up

After the Boxing Day win, it’s unlikely that Chris Powell will make any changes to the side although skipper Johnnie Jackson is back in contention after serving his three-match suspension for the red card against Yeovil earlier this month.

The return of Chris Solly at right-back seems to have given the Addicks a huge lift and has also benefited Lawrie Wilson who was pushed further forward to right-wing recently and scored two goals in that position against Brighton last Thursday.

Alongside Wilson in midfield should see Jordan Cousins, Dale Stephens and loanee Cameron Stewart line up while Jackson is likely to be on the bench.

Yann Kermorgant and Simon Church will probably continue upfront with Marvin Sordell remaining on the bench.

Prediction

A 1-0 victory to end the year in delight for the Addicks.

Comments

• Dour and physical 1 - 1
  • Another mercurial performance from Big Yann. 4-1. Addicks on a roll.
  • Another 3 points towards our promotion push.

2-0
  • I'm gonna go 1-3

are you going OP

I am heading for a 2-1

• After the joy of Boxing Day I see Wednesday putting up a more gritty wall than Brighton did and we'll see a 0-0 spectacular!
  • If the trains are still trashed we will be driving up for the first time ever, any suggestions on the best place to park ?
  • proper dull match , draw at best
    0-1 or 0-0
  • Sponsored links:

• A totally different game to Brighton.

Wednesday will come to stop us playing by fair means or foul, mostly foul. Five in the middle and Yann and Stewart kicked whenever they get near the ball.

They realise how important this game is to them just as it is with us.

Same team and same outcome; Addicks win by one goal margin.

Back Wood and Morrison, as ex-Wendies, to score
  • 3-0 to CP's Red And White Army
  • edited December 2013
    Don't think it will be an enjoyable match to watch what with the pitch and the opposition.

If I was having a bet, take a punt on 2-1 us revenge for last season.

• An unchanged team and another victory, 2-1. Two wins on the spin with another to come at Ipswich as the Addicks move to a more comfortable place in the table.
  • Whose going to bring the Belgian flag?
  • unchanged team, physical game, plenty of red & yellow cards, 1-1
  • Always after the lord mayors show with us...1-0 defeat...
  • 2-1 addicks......match thread from 2 pm
  • a team of addicks playing for their futures if the takeover is correct I stick with my 2-1
  • I've almost given up on making predictions - it's difficult to get enthusiastic when you can't see where the goals are coming from, but that all changed since Yann came back and Wilson stopped being shite (joke). So, I predict 2-1 to Charlton. Goals from Solly and Church. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm gonna go 1-3

Have a word with this fella will you!

http://www.owlsonline.com/?page=news&news_id=1106

The club was founded on 9 June 1905. A number of youth clubs in the southeast London area, including East Street Mission and Blundell Mission, combined to form Charlton Athletic. The club play at The Valley in Charlton, where they have played since 1919, apart from one year in Catford, during 1923–24, and seven years at Crystal Palace and West Ham United between 1985 and 1992.

Historically, Charlton have been also-rans in England and London. Alan Curbishley must be given great credit for the sustained run they had in The Premier League. You just need to look at what happened before and after his leadership to realise that. They’re a bit of a nothing club in the sense that they’ve never achieved anything of note, other than the FA Cup in 1947. Saying that, I have no real dislike or bad feeling towards them as a club. Trying to nick supporters from a club like Gillingham did strike a bad chord with me though.

Their manager, Chris Powell is a bit of a sour faced, miserable git. If he won the Champions League, he’d more than likely file a complaint with UEFA that the Trophy wasn’t polished enough. Did I mention boring too? I do think he’s done a reasonable job there though. The football they played when promoted from League 1 in 2012 was awful but effective. I’d take that - I mean we hardly played scintillating stuff ourselves.

Their fans? Pretty innocuous in my opinion. I don’t think I’ve ever met a Charlton fan.

What a stupid nonce
  • Lol, what a prat
  • A home win under our belts, a takeover more or less assured, the sun is shining and Sheffield Wednesday supporters the most deluded bunch of norvern monkeys in, well...Sheffield at least!

0-1 to the Owls

It's the Charlton way.
  • edited December 2013
    A preview that totally dis-respects the opposition. It must be that time of year we play sheff wed again. And oh' look we're above them in the league. AGAIN.
  • It will be a good test as I expect Wednesday to be defensive minded and we have struggled at home to these sort of teams of late. Would be good to see a repeat of some of the attacking play from the Brighton game.
  • I'm gonna go 1-3

Is that the yellow cards stat your predicting?
  • A very tight game in prospect. Think there will be very few opportunities in a nervous game. You would think the lift from beating Brighton would carry us through but we have found it difficult beating Weddies recently. Sadly 1-0 to them.
  • 1 - 0

Jackson free kick
  • Loco said:

I'm gonna go 1-3

Have a word with this fella will you!

http://www.owlsonline.com/?page=news&news_id=1106

The club was founded on 9 June 1905. A number of youth clubs in the southeast London area, including East Street Mission and Blundell Mission, combined to form Charlton Athletic. The club play at The Valley in Charlton, where they have played since 1919, apart from one year in Catford, during 1923–24, and seven years at Crystal Palace and West Ham United between 1985 and 1992.

Historically, Charlton have been also-rans in England and London. Alan Curbishley must be given great credit for the sustained run they had in The Premier League. You just need to look at what happened before and after his leadership to realise that. They’re a bit of a nothing club in the sense that they’ve never achieved anything of note, other than the FA Cup in 1947. Saying that, I have no real dislike or bad feeling towards them as a club. Trying to nick supporters from a club like Gillingham did strike a bad chord with me though.

Their manager, Chris Powell is a bit of a sour faced, miserable git. If he won the Champions League, he’d more than likely file a complaint with UEFA that the Trophy wasn’t polished enough. Did I mention boring too? I do think he’s done a reasonable job there though. The football they played when promoted from League 1 in 2012 was awful but effective. I’d take that - I mean we hardly played scintillating stuff ourselves.

Their fans? Pretty innocuous in my opinion. I don’t think I’ve ever met a Charlton fan.

What a stupid nonce
    LOL

I don't go in that forum, most use Owlstalk.