Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Could Church Be Converted To Winger

I think he has proved over the past few weeks he cant shoot like a forward does its either to weak or like today of target.
But he runs non stop and does have decent pace, not sure how his crossing is but personally I would be interested to see him instead of Stewart

Comments

• No - next.
  • His crossing for that last chance (where Kermo should've got a penalty) was fantastic actually. (Here's where someone tells me it was actually someone else...!)

Additionally, he did set up a nice goal for Jacko a few weeks back - and IIRC he took on a few defenders in the process.

I think it's worth a punt to be honest, as a striker I think he's woeful. It's a shame as he strikes me as a good hard-working and honest lad.
  • Preferably for another team.
  • Fair point, see what you mean, he does run and has confidence to run at full backs but not to sure how he would do tracking back to support our full backs. Would be intresting to see if he done any good tho as he can't shoot unless he is right infront of goal..
  • If Church could finish he'd be a quality striker but he can't.
  • edited December 2013
    Was thinking this during the game. The guy runs his nuts off and can put in an alright cross. It's not a long term solution but for days like today, it wouldn't be a bad back-up plan.
  • should convert to the 100 metres 'dash' in time for the Welsh team at the Commonwealth Games
  • edited December 2013
    Convert him into a benchwarmer or even a steward , works hard with no end product waste of time.
  • The bloke puts in 100% effort every minute of every game. That's it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I do believe he would bé equally adept as a winger as he is as a striker.
  • Only at Charlton would a headless chicken be put on the wing because he runs Lots

Was thinking this during the game. The guy runs his nuts off and can put in an alright cross. It's not a long term solution but for days like today, it wouldn't be a bad back-up plan.

• shine166 said:

Only at Charlton would a headless chicken be put on the wing because he runs Lots

Did you purposely ignore the part where I said about him being able to put in a cross? IMO it's a better bet than pushing Stephens out there.
  • I don't get it,we are so short on forwards so lets take one out of the front and put him on the wing,yeh right!!!
  • edited December 2013
    For one game I still think it would've been an alright shout.

Solly should be back in time for NYD and Wilson can play there again. Problem solved for now.
  • Hes not good enough as a striker or winger. Great workrate and likeable bloke but the sooner we replace him the better
  • I thought the same thing after the game actually.
  • doronron said:

I don't get it,we are so short on forwards so lets take one out of the front and put him on the wing,yeh right!!!

Strangely enough, we are more short of forwards WITH him in the team. Woeful.
  • Sponsored links:

• His finishing is awful but he has pace, stamina and is a decent dribbler. IMO the wing is the best place for him.
  • We should rotate him and Pritchard in the 'headless chicken' role in CM.
  • No I didnt, for me he just isnt good enough.

shine166 said:

Only at Charlton would a headless chicken be put on the wing because he runs Lots

Did you purposely ignore the part where I said about him being able to put in a cross? IMO it's a better bet than pushing Stephens out there.
  • Wingers need to be able to take players on, the second Church sees a defender he starts running out wider.... And wider....

• Church is shite .
  • Hes not good enough as a striker or winger. Great workrate and likeable bloke but the sooner we replace him the better
  • Perhaps the question should ask whether Green could be converted to a winger ?

Can Green be converted to a footballer is a better question
  • boogica said:

Church is shite .

Have you thought about trying a different diocese?
  • Great effort, really runs his socks off, unfortunately zero quality. He doesn't read the game at all and his finishing is woeful!
  • Church at right wing / half is not a bad idea. Maybe that would have allowed for Sordell or Piggott to play up front. Not having the pressure to be a main goal scorer may do him some favours as well. Got to be better than Danny Green who gives little support to the right back on most occassions. Stephens is not much cop at right midfield due to his lack of pace.

Church may end up like a Dirk Kuiyt type, ex Liverpool winger and occassional goal scorer. Maybe try it out against Oxford in the cup.