Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Manager - Likely Candidates

According to the Torygraph today, Mourinho is interested, along with Herr Sturtzbomber and Coppell's Italian cousin. I really hope they can get Jose. I believe he really can be the "special one"

Comments

• If the FA want him they had better move quickly, the bin dippers want to get rid of Benitez and are lining up Mourinho to replace him.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]If the FA want him they had better move quickly, the bin dippers want to get rid of Benitez and are lining up Mourinho to replace him.

This was being played down tonight.
  • How the hell is Harry Redknapp being considered? The little Englanders will be delighted no doubt
  • Agreed Rothko. I would rather Dario Gradi.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]How the hell is Harry Redknapp being considered? The little Englanders will be delighted no doubt

I would be flabbergasted if they went for 'Arry. The FA would be counting the days to when another 'Arry - Harris would get on his case. No chance of appointing him in my view. It would be as likely as appointing Nick Leeson to be Governor of The Bank of England.
  • I think we should go for Capello - He's openly said he wants the job, he's probably the right age (some would argue the opposite), his record is very impressive (i.e he's the won the league at every job he's had apart from the 2nd 1 year spell at Milan) and he seems like he might (that's a big might) be able to deal with the media.

He might not play pretty football but would we care if we won something? - I certainly wouldn't - I don't think I can handle never seeing England winning anything, mainly due to the ridiculous media circus that surrounds every tournament and qualifying.

Mourinio would be interesting as well but I can't see it.
  • Oh please let this be true

Mourinho interested
  • one name I've not seen mentioned is a current Premiership manager who played international football and played for top clubs in England, Germany and Spain, has managed an international team and has built a good Prem side who are aggresive but skillful or a relatively small budget.

Ok he's Welsh but otherwise why not Mark Hughes?
  • He's Welsh.
  • [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]He's Welsh.

And?
  • Sponsored links:

• I heard him mentioned yesterday actually - along with the suposed fact (or should that be FACT?) that the new contract he's just signed has a get-out if England come calling....
  • the bin dippers

LMFAO
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Oh please let this be true

Mourinho interested

Perfect Candidate bar Wenger for the Job. Can handle our gutter press does appear to be able to control his second brain in his underpants, think if this is true will be the best thing to happen to the National team for years.
  • Can never see Mourinho taking it, he'll still want to be club coaching for a few years yet, and he can take his pick from G12 clubs over the next two years as his stock is very high.

With the Champions League now, club coaching in Europe is head and shoulders above country management, which used to be the pinnacle.

I'd be very happy with Hughes, though i still honestly believe that when representing a country, it should be exactly that, formed from players and management from that country.
  • So you don't want Mourinho then?..
  • Mourinho is the perfect candidate in so many ways but like AFKA can't see it.

Just can't see him want to sit on his backside for so much of the time whilst he hasn't got the players.

If we had qualified, that would have been another story but would have required a decision from Barwick which of course would be a stupid to even think that might have happened.

Love to see him take it- can't see it, really hope i'm wrong!
  • we need somebody who can organise and make a team hard to beat so that it over achieves for it's status and also won't take any crap from Big Time Charlies who think they are better than they really are.

Stand up Mr Alan Curbishley.....

*Awaits howls of outrage and posts about how awful a manager Curbs is*
  • BBC News today say that sources close to Mourinho are playing down this report saying that he has not expressed any interest.....:-(
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]we need somebody who can organise and make a team hard to beat so that it over achieves for it's status and also won't take any crap from Big Time Charlies who think they are better than they really are.

Stand up Mr Alan Curbishley.....

*Awaits howls of outrage and posts about how awful a manager Curbs is*

I'm with you on this Len. Personally, given time he would do a great job. I don't think though that he is confident of his own ability to do it including handling the huge media hype.
  • I love Curbs and what he did for the club but I would hate for him to get the England job because the press would just tear him to pieces and we would cop a bucket of shit all over us as well in the form of, "All he's ever done is get a small club like Charlton promoted."

No thanks, I respect the bloke way too much to wish that on him.

I'd love Jose to get it and just stare those sanctimonious pricks of the press right back in their faces when they try and turn him over.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]So you don't want Mourinho then?..

I've thought hard about this, and i'm still not sure. There is no doubting his abilities, but part of Mourinho strengths is signing the right players to play a set way he wants. You can't do that so much with international players, you take the best from what is now becoming a diminishing pool. You also don't get the time withh the players to instill accurately the shape and style you want. I'm also convinced that with Mourinho, it would become even more of a media circus than it already is, and i doubt his ability to cope correctly with the criticism and intrusion that all other England managers have received.

There are two routes to go down in my opinion.

One is a decent manager, but who is effectively a mascot for the team, who does nothing more than taking the pressure off the players and getting them to enjoy playing for their country again and wanting to suceed with confidence. There is little time for them to introduce new shapes effectively, so they get the best players playing with pride in their country again.

The second would be someone who is distanced, but tactically astute, particularly to the top European game.

My preference would be the second, and with that in mind the only real choice for me is Fabio Capello. Played at the top level, internationally, has managed for 16 years at the top in Italy and Spain, winning an amazing 9 national titles and the Champions League, is more cautious and defensively minded which is better suited to international football, and he also wants the job, and has the character to handle all the crap that goes with the England job.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]So you don't want Mourinho then?..

My preference would be the second, and with that in mind the only real choice for me is Fabio Capello. Played at the top level, internationally, has managed for 16 years at the top in Italy and Spain, winning an amazing 9 national titles and the Champions League, is more cautious and defensively minded which is better suited to international football, and he also wants the job, and has the character to handle all the crap that goes with the England job.

& Does not speak a single word of English ?
  • we haven't got a friendly for 4 months, and gawd knows how long to our next competitive game, plenty of time for an intelligent man.
  • edited November 2007
    AFKA, I understand what you are saying but from the various things I have read and seen about him, his intelligence shines through. I believe that he has the analyical skill necessary to identfy strengths and weaknesses, and then to make changes to maxmise the resources that he has. He is also strong and unafraid to make difficult decisions.

Let me give you some example where I think he will make things happen.

a) The Lampard/Gerrard situation. There is no doubt in my mind that they could play togther effectively. The fact is that they haven't shown it. This failure has gone on for years. I think Mourinho will take a simple approach quickly which is

1) work out how they can be most effective together
    2) work out what instructions/training they need to do it
    3) communicate clearly to them what is required and ensure they understand
    4) Set them a challenge to make it work Mourinho's way
    5) Remove one or either from the team if they fail

b) Take the Croatia game. I don't think he would have gambled on players like Carson. There is also no way he would have changed a formation from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 for a crucial game without a serious amount of practice. If he had gone to 4-5-1, and the team went two down, he would have made changes immediately. Unlike the happless fool who was in charge.

c) I believe he has a psychology degree. Team building and motivation is clearly his forte. At Chelsea he inherited a team which was close to but never quite good enough to win the league and turned them into Champions. He can do the same for England.

d) He will keep focussed on what he is trying to achieve and not be blown off course by the media.
  • Bing, I don't think Gerrard and Lampard can play together, cause neither of them are particular clever footballers with the intelligence to do whats needed. I'll play one of those, and that would be Gerrard in a free role.

I'm all for Capello, I've never given a stuff about the manager needing to be English, and he'll learn English in time for next years qualifiers. You go with the best man available and he's it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Bing, I don't think Gerrard and Lampard can play together, cause neither of them are particular clever footballers with the intelligence to do whats needed. I'll play one of those, and that would be Gerrard in a free role.

I'm all for Capello, I've never given a stuff about the manager needing to be English, and he'll learn English in time for next years qualifiers. You go with the best man available and he's it.

I think that there is a chemistry problem between them - they just don't get on and I think they see one another as rivals. Gerrard was quoted as saying that he and Barrie are mates - this is a pretty telling comment as far as I am concerned. My view is that a good manager will sort this out once and for all and Mourinho is the one to do it. I have no doubt that were he the manager for the last four years, he would have ascertained whether they are able to play togther straight away and if not dropped one or either.

I am not anti-Capello, I just think that Mourinho would be better thats all.
  • they could play together because they are both good players. What is needed is a strong manager to tell them exactly what their roles are in the team, and the difference between both roles. If the player fails to adapt to his alloted role then he risks losing his place. Personally i'd hold Gerrard, protect the back four, with a tendancy to push him right if the winger pushes on, and give lampard the freedom to play the role he does so successfully at Chelsea.
    You can't ask them to play both their natural games, so something has to give. For me it should be Gerrard because i think he is more adaptable and Lampard is proved to score more from that position.
  • Gerrard doesn't have the discipline to do it, Rafa knows that, hence why Gerrard plays inside right for them, and Lampard needs to do more in an England shirt. If Gerrard plays on the right, you put Hargraves next to Lampard, and that might work in a 4-4-2
  • Can we do a combined Charltonlife application to the FA for the England job?
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Can we do a combined Charltonlife application to the FA for the England job?

No you'll confuse them, they don't know what they are doing as it is don't overcomplicate it for them!