Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• To those of us who are pre-decimal they look familiar.
  • Get yer thrupenny bits out!!
  • Pound coins are 30 years old??? No way can that be true surely...
  • "A competition will be held to decide what image to put on the "tails" side of the coin."

Here's my entry..................
  • It definitely calls for a sword.... where's Stig?
  • I like it, but how will I get my trolley at Morrisons?
  • Nah, it'll he Wayne Rooney held aloft a la Mooro after scoring the winner in the World Cup Final...wibble, wibble...nurse!
  • what happens to every single vending machine etc?
  • what happens to every single vending machine etc?

That part of the mechanism will be changed/updated. Most take lots of different coins anyway so this is just another change.

The vending machine firms or at least the owners will be happy with the change as it is driven in part by the huge number of forged £1 coins in circulation.
  • The recognition systems on a lot of them are based on weight not just size.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2014

Pound coins are 30 years old??? No way can that be true surely...

Yeah although the last Series D £1 note didn't go out of circulation until 1988.
    Monday 15 February 1971 was Decimalisation Day. I spent the weekend (incl Valentine's Day) converting handwritten bank ledgers from £sd to £p. What fun that was!
  • I remember when pound coins first came out and were accepted by cigarette machines. We knocked up crude moulds, filled them with water to make ice coins, crossed the road to the pub and quickly fed them into the machine in exchange for packets of B&H. The cash tray would be just full of water when they emptied it. I'm sure these machines wouldn't fall for such crude methods these days though..............
  • "these women love talking about money trig"

"I saw one of those old white fivers the other day"
  • The new coins come out in 2017 but the fake versions will be available earlier.
  • Stig said:

I know Tango got there first, but I couldn't resist.

Great Stuff Stig.
    Don't worry about Tango as he is at best Rolf Harris to your Leonardo.

• Surely it should be Douchalet, not Riga on the coin Stig? We all know he has aspirations of becoming an emporer..............
  • Pound coins are 30 years old??? No way can that be true surely...

You're right it's not true. 31 years old this year.
  • Great sub-headline from the Daily Mail in their article about the new coin- "It looks worryingly like the €uro"...... (hides head in hands)
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

So 30 years old until the anniversary date then?
  • To those of us who are pre-decimal they look familiar.

We were given plastic decimal coins to take home to help our parents and grandparents. My grandparents never got hold of it, they were all born in the 19thC

And we had to suffer Metrification too!

I learnt all about inches, feet and yards at Primary school and then had the ridiculous millimetres and centimetres suddenly thrust upon me at secondary school.

• edited March 2014
    MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

Nope.

Was introduced in 1983. That makes it 31 this year.
    If you were born in 1983, and you clearly were not, much later I'd say, you too would be 31 this year.
  • How did you do that with RD? Brilliant
  • ct_addick said:

How did you do that with RD? Brilliant

I like the subtle change in the bottom right hand corner.
  • Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

Nope.

Was introduced in 1983. That makes it 31.
    If you were born in 1983, and you clearly were not, much later I'd say, you too would be 31 this year.
    Can I be arbitrator here? The coin was introduced on 21 April 1983 to be precise. So its 31st birthday will be next month.

• cafcfan said:

Yeah although the last Series D £1 note didn't go out of circulation until 1988.
    Monday 15 February 1971 was Decimalisation Day. I spent the weekend (incl Valentine's Day) converting handwritten bank ledgers from £sd to £p. What fun that was!
    Did you just have to convert the s&d to p or did the £s change as well?

Pretty sure Riviera makes mathematical errors just in order to argue with someone!
  • cafcfan said:

Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

Nope.

Was introduced in 1983. That makes it 31.
    Can I be arbitrator here? The coin was introduced on 21 April 1983 to be precise. So its 31st birthday will be next month.

Exactly - so it is 30 years old.

Thanks for the clarification.