Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Powell is guest presenter on talksport, Colin Murray this morning

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Curb_It said:

Yann897 said:

Curb_It said:

Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

"It was my team that eventually kept them up"

Tell it like it is, Chris ;-)

Keep it classy Powell it was your team that stayed up but we was going down with you in charge .
    He'll always be a lot classier than you, mate ;-)

What a way to talk about a person you have never met ? !
    I imagine she's not alone in hoping that one would never have to meet you.

By the way did you ever find any charlton fans to drink with before the Sheffield game?

And why I are you bringing up the fact I was wondering where people were drinking I was in a group but wanted to drink with the rest of the Charlton fans but don't worry you get personal because you can but if I say something I'll be banned so you carry on and stay classy like the other bird being rude !
    Have you been banned before then? A few times maybe?

Nope , any more questions ?
    Something tells me you think you know me or something don't know why else you would be so rude to someone has just backed the club , would love to know ?
  • edited April 2014

Is there where i come to prove i'm more of a helmet than anyone else ?

Try again
  • Just ignore, not been the best of WUM it has to be said
  • edited April 2014

"It was my team that eventually kept them up"

Made me cringe a bit hearing that from Powell (I assume he actually said it from the quote). If it was your team, why were you not doing the same job and having them playing the same football as Riga? We all love him for past glories, but stay classy Chris.
  • Just ignore, not been the best of WUM it has to be said

I honestly don't get this and find it a bit insulting seeing as majority of the time I just write about the youth team ect and just because Iv said something about Powell that a lot of people seem to agree with I'm a wum ?
  • "It was my team that eventually kept them up"

Made me cringe a bit hearing that from Powell (I assume he actually said it from the quote). If it was your team, why were you not doing the same job and having them playing the same football as Riga? We all love him for past glories, but stay classy Chris.
    this I'm afraid, love Chris and yes it might have been 'his' team, but as VG stated, under his management we were only gonna go one way I reckon
  • Sordell might have been part of 'his' team but Riga got 5 precious goals out of him...

I really wish Chrissy well, he played a huge part in turning things around. But we were in a right pickle, and Bramall Lane was just awful... we can't simply assume that things would have turned around.

He was dealt a terrible hand this season. But has to move on, we have to move on, and I'm not going to regard RD as some evil force for moving him out.
  • Wasn't said as interpreted, will write up a bit later
  • I just hope we can all just move on
  • Sponsored links:

• Wasn't said as interpreted, will write up a bit later

Just to clarify afka what makes me a wum because I don't share the same views as you ? I can't see how you can see it when I go to every game and a few you games and always back the club , but you got people on here who slag the club off all the time and there fine .
  • Murray just asked if Powell would manage Millwall. CP: "Pass."
  • Couldn't agree more with some of the posts on here. Yes Powelly it was your team, but you couldnt manage them.

Much better off now that much is obvious.
  • edited April 2014

Just ignore, not been the best of WUM it has to be said

Who, Curb It? ;-)
  • It takes two to argue. A comment like ‘keep it classy Chris’ is going to get a reaction. Why do people have to take a side and use Riga’s undoubted achievement as a reason to knock Chrissy. Would Chrissy have kept us up if he wasn’t sacked? We are all entitled to an opinion – but I think it is fair to voice it respectfully.

My view is that I don’t know if he would have kept us up. A big factor was that the constraints that were being imposed on him, were definitely affecting him and this wasn’t helping him or the team. He had to sign up to the plan and the fact that he couldn’t meant going was probably right. That is without judging the plan right or wrong – and just avoiding relegation doesn’t make it right or wrong either.

As in most arguments, the issues are usually a lot more complex than people seek to make them. My view is that if Chrissy was fully backed and supported, he would still be our manager and we would have been in a comfortable position long before – maybe even with a Wembley experience to look back on! Riga has clearly been given a free reign over team selection and tactics, and I don’t think it is too great a leap to suggest that this was probably one of his conditions for taking the job on. We know that Powell had two of his best players sold and was put under pressure to play players that he and indeed Riga, didn’t think were good enough.

One thing I would always say about Chrissy’s teams is that they are resilient – so I don’t see the Sheff United game as being it. Having said that, the talk about a contract being on the table and not being signed for football reasons – whatever the truth was not condusive to success.

For me, we shouldn’t be looking to make points against a legend like Chrissy who has given us so much. He has had to battle against extreme forces for the past year or so and we have much to be grateful to him for. We also have much to be grateful to Riga for. He came in when the job could be deemed to be a poisoned chalice, and he got the team winning games. He quickly won over both the players and the fans.

For me – taking an anti Powell or anti Riga stance is ridiculous. We have reason to be grateful and appreciative of both. Why do people have to take the opportunity to knock Powell? They are the minority and they shouldn’t feel hurt when others stick up for him. He deserves and has the respect of most Charlton fans. If you do wish to voice the opinion that Powell would not have saved us this season - why not just say that instead of accusing a genuine bona fide hero as lacking class?

I can't fully express just how much I agree with this.
  • edited April 2014
    All the if's, buts and maybe's don't really matter. We stayed up. Chris had a big part of our history and I'll always respect the man for who and what he has done for our club.

Can we move on.....
  • Why have Charlton stayed up? CP: "There's three worse teams than Charlton. Simple as that."
  • Actually, that last quote of CP's annoyed me a little bit. Only a bit, mind. I'm not a WUM, honest. I'm a nice bloke. I'm smart, got a neat haircut. Oh, forget I said anything…
  • Sponsored links:

• hawksmoor said:

Actually, that last quote of CP's annoyed me a little bit. Only a bit, mind. I'm not a WUM, honest. I'm a nice bloke. I'm smart, got a neat haircut. Oh, forget I said anything…

To be fair, he probably would have said the same had he still be in charge.
  • Is there where i come to prove i'm more of a helmet than anyone else ?

We don't need anymore proof of that mate :-)
  • It's all a bit raw I think people should not look into or read into too much being said

F*ck off
  • Why have Charlton stayed up? CP: "There's three worse teams than Charlton. Simple as that."

Not very gracious. He was manager for 2 and a half years wasn't he ? I've had longer shits.
  • PL54 said:

Why have Charlton stayed up? CP: "There's three worse teams than Charlton. Simple as that."

Not very gracious. He was manager for 2 and a half years wasn't he ? I've had longer shits.
    Don't you'll get called a wum .
  • Yann897 said:

PL54 said:

Why have Charlton stayed up? CP: "There's three worse teams than Charlton. Simple as that."

Don't you'll get called a wum .
    I invented the phrase
  • PL54 said:

Maybe, but he wasn't treated very well at the end of those 2 1/2 years was he?
  • PL54 said:

Maybe, but he wasn't treated very well at the end of those 2 1/2 years was he?
    He fell out with his boss and got sacked - it happens
  • CP is inevitably a bit raw, he's seen his wife run off with another man, he still loves her, and is jealous when he sees his friends saying that her new guy is actually quite nice...
  • What a shitty thread. Will start a separate one on it but ask politely that people park all the sniping here please.