Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Was there any point in staying up?

Comments

• Options
    It was important to stay up. But a little communication would help to make us feel like we matter a tiny bit in all this. It's Roland's club, (and we all know it was his cash and fair enough) and maybe that's the problem, it feels like that's the only person it "belongs" to, as far as he is concerned.
    Anyway, who knows, not me.
    I'm going to try and enjoy the World Cup, and hope in a few weeks Roly's Masterplan is clear and in place and that we all feel part of the bright new future again.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Similar may have been posted, I haven't bothered reading through all threads. Hamer no one can blame for going.

Basically, to me it appears that all 'high' earners are being let go. By Championship standards the likes of Dervite, Kermorgant, etc, are not on a great deal. Or at least they weren't.

However, to cut our losses these players are being allowed to leave. Morrison could be next and if you're Poyet what's the point in staying? The players we will see coming in are likely to be young unknowns or network players. These are obviously going to be earning less.

There will also be sceptics who claim that these young players are only there to be put in the shop window. There will likewise be some who say that because they haven't heard of a player they can't be any good. I've often argued against this way of thinking but I honestly would be more comfortable with a few experienced or semi-familiar faces. A mixture would be ideal.

It is very, very hard to match clubs like Bolton and Leicester but with the way things have gone I doubt that we'll see m/any proven Championship or League 1 players coming in. You can mention Gradel but that was purely a rumour and the alleged £1.5m fee (and high wage) goes against everything we've seen so far of RD.

So, this will leave us with very few players who we can consider Charlton stalwarts. Almost the whole spine of the team is disappearing. This is worrying, our spine wasn't the problem last season. And yes, I know a large part of the blame can be laid up on the previous owers.

Throw in the supposed spurning of Riga though, and I don't blame people for panicking at this early stage. FFP appears to be the aim but as @PragueAddick has said before, that should be achieved over time. To suddenly slash an already low wage bill will leave us dangerously under-equipped next season. I really hope I'm wrong but at current it looks like being another long and trying year.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Dave2l said:

It is worrying seeing the team dismantled, this time last season we was dreaming of a few quality editions and having a real crack at making the play offs. Now half that team amd coaching staff are gone.

Is Roland right? Time will tell, he risked in January by selling Yann and then appointing Riga. It paid off. Come August the squad will look very different to how it looks now.

Correct, by all means get rid of the dead wood, freshen it up, but not to the point of where no one is familiar with anyone else and we are starting from scratch in building a team.
    Starting from scratch ...as Chris Powell did? And succeeded.
    And Parkinson and Lennie
  • Options
    Good post RedPanda. I'm hoping the reason Poyet might stay, is because he will play.
  • Options
    As it stands at the moment - of the contracted regular 1st team starting players, only Hamer has left the club.

I'm more concerned that the management team hasn't yet been confirmed.

But there's 10 weeks still to go before it's time to panic.

Go and do some gardening, go to the beach and enjoy the summer.
    There's even a World Cup to amuse you.

• Options
    Gardening. Like your style..You got any daisy's? daisy roots?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

As it stands at the moment - of the contracted regular 1st team starting players, only Hamer has left the club.

I'm more concerned that the management team hasn't yet been confirmed.

But there's 10 weeks still to go before it's time to panic.

Go and do some gardening, go to the beach and enjoy the summer.
    There's even a World Cup to amuse you.

Cheered me right up ya cheeky devil...I'm gana do some gardening, I may even get a kebab!

• Options
    Of course there was a point staying up. Financially better than being relegated and more appealing to attract new players to championship than league one. Yes we have lost dervite and hamer but we don't know who's coming in yet and neither are irreplaceable. We fought hard to stay up with some very poor resources. We need to build again in this league with better attaching players. Being relegated and building again was not the answer and we could've been stuck in league one for longer this time as no guarantee we'd come straight back up. Give the board and new manager when appointed a chance to rebuild. Who knows we could be pleasantly surprised. Ok we could be shockingly disappointed as well but I'm hopeful of the former.
  • Options
    Was there any point getting up this morning?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Look I think we've all just had a stressful enough season, can we just turn off the stress tap for a while and bask in the thought of Wimbledon, the World Cup and Barbeques.
  • Options
    I keep reminding myself that RD is in this for the money and, therefore,that he needs the club to be a success if he is to achieve a profit on his investment. On that basis, I can't see that he will let us fall backwards from where we are now. Surely?
  • Options
    If Duchatelet wanted Charlton to go down and facilitate cost cutting and a rebuild he would have let that happen this season just gone. Why would he trigger a survival clause rumoured to cost him £4m by staying up if he wanted us to go down?
    Thanks to the previous owners Duchatelet has been able to release ten players not required. Hamer went so the question is whether Pope is good enough. We don't yet know the fate of Poyet, Morrison and Dervite but I am sure the club have an idea. I am equally sure the club know where they want to be by the start of the season in terms of budget and additional players.
    As Mundell and Henry state it is all about the quality of that execution.
    For what it's worth I suspect we have a nil chance of top eight next season. I think the club will loan and sign up 25-30 year olds to help the kids grow as a team...and await year after year of academy graduates.
    As Riga said "made in Charlton".
  • Options
    Dave21...How can you call yourself a realist when at the moment you haven't a clue how the team will line up, or how good our new manager will be. Glass half full ? You haven 't even got a glass !
  • Options
    And one reason for being ahead of the curve on FFP is that it puts CAFC in a very strong position in future transfer windows. Clubs like Brighton and Bournemouth may soon be selling players in order to comply.
  • Options

This is a bit like when you are doing some building work.

You've ripped out the old walls and fittings and the place looks a mess.

But if you get the right builder in he can rebuild it better than before.

But if you can't find a reliable tradesman or two then you are left with a mess.

Is that why we signed Polish Pete?
  • Options
    Hi panic knob
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Do you know what? I'm start to get a creeping feeling of excitement about these changes. Peeters as coach? God knows what players starting in August? I think I can't imagine anything worse than if we had survived last year and went in to next season with Kermo, Stephens, Hollands, Green, Pritchard all still in place and all battling for enough draws and lucky wins to stay up again. I respect all of those players for different reasons, but I'd rather see a fresh team and fresh tactics. Only one I'm really sorry about is Hamer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Do you know what? I'm start to get a creeping feeling of excitement about these changes. Peeters as coach? God knows what players starting in August? I think I can't imagine anything worse than if we had survived last year and went in to next season with Kermo, Stephens, Hollands, Green, Pritchard all still in place and all battling for enough draws and lucky wins to stay up again. I respect all of those players for different reasons, but I'd rather see a fresh team and fresh tactics. Only one I'm really sorry about is Hamer.

And Morrison and Poyet.
  • Options
    Down the vein not across the wrist is best!
  • Options
    D_F_T said:

Down the vein not across the wrist is best!

Shit i knew id done it wrong.

• Options
    you panic knob.
  • Options
    Panic Knob. Up there with Cockwomble as one of the best new CL terms?
  • Options
    When SCP signed all those players in 2011 only 1 or 2 signed in May and it was not untill the 22nd of June till next ones came in and look what happened.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

The point in staying up was to not get relegated, we did that

The appointment of "who's this bloke" Riga was to keep us up, he did that

it is quite clear to that RD had no intention of appointing him beyond the season end, JR made the right noises to us like "I love this club etc" but its not so long ago that we were losing games to Barnsley and he was clueless as he didn't know his best team, playing people out of potsition etc.

He was bought in for a job and he did it, I think that the permanent job was never his in the owners eyes.

The leaving of out of contract players is always hard to take and the replacements are not on the horizon which is equally worrying, there must be a plan however to sign players and not just network spares.

If we do not sign a goalkeeper, central defender and competent striker by August then your right we are odds on for relegation, in the same way that if I don't have any tea, breakfast, dinner or tea again by tomorrow night I will be hungry.

I don't think your a panic knob your like the rest of us a football fan that wants to know everything about our club and it's plans now, right away. It's a totally acceptable irrational trate and your not alone.

I too am worried but it's the not knowing more than the what's actually happening that is of concern I think, other than Bolton there are lots of other fans having the same debate and some of them are managerless as well.

I suspect this is a huge week ahead of us and if the WC starts and we are none the wiser than we really do have a problem.

Chin up Dave21 I still feel rosier than I did leaving Bramell Lane back in March

very well said. This Rigamania is rather misguided, he certainly did look clueless at times but was still a class manager.
  • Options
    was there any point of this thread?
  • Options

was there any point of this thread?

To get the term panic-knob in the dictionary.

"Panic-knob"
    A term of light hearted expression when a group set of individuals panic about something that might not be entirely necessary.
    It is mostly used as an affectionate term, for the group of people, that share the same fear about a subject matter, or a subject change.