Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colchester's youngster with potential.........

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
I know i'm definately getting softer as i get older, but i know Lisbie is going to get proper pelters tomorrow, and i really don't feel comfortable with it.

Yes, i know he promised much but never cut the mustard, but i put that down to his own lack of top level ability, and a serious self-confidence issue, rather than someone who abused the priveledge of being a pro.

He never spoke out against the club, manager or the fans, despite long spells out of the side and regular flack when in it, and he overcome a life-threatening illness.

I'll laugh my head off if his shot hits the corner flag, and join in the 'same of Lisbie, f***ing useless' chants, but i won't boo him.

Views ?

Comments

• Super Kev did nothing wrong other than not be good enough you can not blame him that Curbs kept on picking him.

does not deserve any abuse and if anything should be welcomed back like jamal cambell ryce was against Barnsley
  • Incredibly unlucky with injuries which meant he never really got a sustained run in the side.

After nearly 10 years at the Club deserves a polite round of applause and certainly no abuse.

Put your house on him scoring tomorrow.
  • Yeah quite, if he does a Hughes I will be over the moon but won't boo the boy. Booing can affect youngsters
  • frustrating player but it was not his fault he was rubbish. no booing from me and i wont appreciate anyone doing it. £10 from me for him to score at anytime in the game as well
  • Booing him would be a no,no. He's still geting the splinters out of his backside from all the sitting on the bench with us. He may forget himself, and go sit in our dugout.
  • No need to boo. It's not like he bad-mouthed the club or caused problems. He tried his best. He was just useless.
  • He will get loads of abuse tomorrow which fairly sums up our support at the moment, people will rather boo him than support the team.

I for one will give him polite applause.
  • Hopefully there will be a smattering of "Super Kev" during the warm up and "You should have stayed at the Valley" after our fifth goal!!!!!
  • I agree when he looked like he was about to finally make a breakthrough he got injured. I will certainly give a short round of applause, is he actually likely to start?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]He will get loads of abuse tomorrow which fairly sums up our support at the moment, people will rather boo him than support the team.

I for one will give him polite applause.[/quote]

I think Southender has summed up well.
    Good on you mate for giving him a clap of appreciation.

Poor old SuperKev. What could've been, what should've been.
    Despite what some think, he had all the ability in the world.

If only he had mental strength & self belief.
    You can't really be a good standard professional footballer without it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Will get a clap from me
    Or like the bloke at the Hull game we should cheer him and boo the current players what a plum LOL
  • he'll get a clap from me... i mean who can ever forget that hatrick v liverpool games like that don't come along too often for us fans even less for kevin
    it's not his fault he was crap and stayed around for so long, let's hope we're not saying this about mclown in ten years
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]he'll get a clap from me... i mean who can ever forget that hatrick v liverpool games like that don't come along too often for us fans even less for kevin
    it's not his fault he was crap and stayed around for so long, let's hope we're not saying this about mclown in ten years
    why don't you call him Izale rather than McClown?
  • cos i can't spell izael
  • I can't see too many giving him pelters to be honest. Wasn't his fault he wasn't good enough and stayed too long. Polite appluase followed by a few laughs if he gets on.
  • I certainly wont be booing him - but also doubt I'll feel moved enough to clap him either. He's just an ex-player and surely they can come back sometimes without people having to show an emotion either way???
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]he'll get a clap from me... i mean who can ever forget that hatrick v liverpool games like that don't come along too often for us fans even less for kevin
    why don't you call him Izale rather than McClown?

hmmm , let me see. Perhaps cos he is a clown , he wears clowns boots and plays like one .
  • It is surpring the amount of former players who do score against us, so I certainly wont boo him - also he did not leave under a cloud unlike players such as Defoe, Murphy, Parker etc.

He will get a polite applause to thank him for his services (not only the 3 against Liverpool but the also the cracker away at Ipswich and skinning a certain Spuds defender during our annual beating of them at the Valley). It also wasn't his fault Curbs kept him on year after year without giving him a decent run in the team or getting someone to teach him to shoot with his left foot occaisonly - He was also a bit unlucky with injuries.

As long as he doesn't kiss the badge or give it the "ear" to the north Satnd when he does score he'll be alright.
  • Is it defo 3pm kick off tomorrow? I keep hearing other times.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]Is it defo 3pm kick off tomorrow? I keep hearing other times.
    I've rung the ticket office and they are saying its 12
  • Sponsored links:

• on web site it is saying 3pm on sky 3pm and i have been told to be in circle suite for 1230 for dinner i hope it 3pm
  • No need to boo i agree, but for gods sake why do we have to give every sub-average ex player who comes back a fckin round of applause? Why dont we just clap all the oppo, chant a few of their songs aswell? If its a returning legend, by all means give them their dues, but Lisbie?.....
  • [cite]Posted By: BrightonAddick[/cite]No need to boo i agree, but for gods sake why do we have to give every sub-average ex player who comes back a fckin round of applause? Why dont we just clap all the oppo, chant a few of their songs aswell? If its a returning legend, by all means give them their dues, but Lisbie?.....
    He dedicated 10 years of his career to us - yes he was not a great player but his professionalism and hard work deserves a touch of appreciation.
  • SuperKev is still a legend.

For all the wrong reasons, maybe.

But as one of the very few youngsters who came through our youth team and played in our Prem teams, scoring winners against Chelsea, Spuds & Liverpool - we should recognise that.
  • As well as his hat trick against Liverpool, I will always be grateful to him for that last minute winner at Stamford Bridge. What a wonderful moment!! He is/was a talented player who struggled with confidence & with injuries. Good luck Kev for the rest of your career.
  • That's exactly how I feel, Red_Pete.

Well said.
  • Not buying this talented player stuff.

He had that electrifying turn of pace over the first five yards that you simply can't coach.

But sadly he lacked the one other thing that you cannot coach, an instinctive goalscorers mentality.
  • Most definately not crap. You simply don't get to play football at premiership level by being crap.
    2001- 2002 his goals earn't us no less than 12 points. Winners at Ipswich, Chelsea, Spurs home plus another that escapes me.
    A very talented player who could do everything except score on a regular basis. Injuries and lack of confidence blighted his Charlton career. Had he played alongside a regular goalscorer such as Mendonca it could have been a different story.
    I'd give him a big round of applause if I could be there. Took a lot of unjustified abuse in my opinion, but took it on the chin and never complained.
    Good player and a very nice chap.
    Ps No I'm not his Dad
  • [quote]
    He dedicated 10 years of his career to us - yes he was not a great player but his professionalism and hard work deserves a touch of appreciation.[/quote]

He should have been given a testimonial. He could have come off the bench in it, with 20 mins to go.
  • edited December 2007
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Not buying this talented player stuff.

He had that electrifying turn of pace over the first five yards that you simply can't coach.

But sadly he lacked the one other thing that you cannot coach, an instinctive goalscorers mentality.[/quote]

He just didn't seem to have the mental strength, composure & confidence to be a top goalscorer at the top level.
    But when he had a run of games and his confidence began to grow, he was a different player.

Wasn't it Paulo Di Canio who said Lisbie was the most skillful & talented player at the club?
    What would he know about football, though.