Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Surrey ccc

Well we have a Kent ccc thread so I thought I'd start one to see if there were any other Sorry fans if not ill just have a debate with myself. We are a London club after all! I'm a kentish lad lived there all my life but my old man made me a Surrey fan from a young age! So what do we he think of the seasonseason so far? Expectations for the rest of the season? Can anyone make head or tail of Fords strange selections so far this year?

Comments

• I was there today!

...but I'm a Worcestershire fan, sorry :P
  • edited June 2014
    I am very much a Kent fan but lived within walking distance of The Oval for a short while when (very) much younger so saw a fair bit of Surrey then.

Off the top of my head a typical Surrey team I used to watch would comprise something like:

Stewart (Micky not Alec)

Edrich

Barrington

Willetts

Tindall

Storey

Long

Jefferson

Pocock

Harman

Sydenham

Younis Ahmed and Robin Jackman were there or thereabouts too.
  • Lived in Brockley as a kid, so just a bus ride away from the Oval. Started as a Junior Member in 1974.

Went to the 20-20 game on Friday at the Oval. A very good performance and enjoyable game to watch. We bowled and fielded well to keep the Middlesex total down and paced the reply well to win comfortably.

The injury to Graeme Smith for the second consecutive year has disrupted us again. We need to get some stability into the captaincy if we are going to progress back into the first division. Some of the youngsters are looking good but need more playing experience. Amla will help fill the gap left by Smith.

Looking forward to seeing KP in action on Friday against Essex in the next 20-20. It's a pleasure watching cricket at the Oval these days, the facilities are first class.

• Good to see its not just me! The 20 20 this year hope to be a goodun looking forward to seeing KP Roy O'brien Davies! Some big hitters there! Smith will be missed although Amla is a good replacement! Not sure why he's not playing today! Also not sure why Batty wasn't featuring to begin with and has now come in and been the difference! Solanki should be no where near the team! And Meaker has played less than I hoped! Tremlett looks past it to me!
  • Surrey man here. Simple reason. The Oval was my nearest first class ground when I first started going circa 1986.
  • Well why don't we have a Suffolk, Bedfordshire or even Unicorn thread too eh ;-)
  • Well why don't we have a Suffolk, Bedfordshire or even Unicorn thread too eh ;-)

Feel free to start them! ;) just couldn't bear to see Kent getting It all when we are a London club and Kent are after all pretty useless! ;)
  • Born and bred in Kennington and went to Archbishop Tenison's Grammar School so couldn't get any closer to the Oval.

Was a member of Surrey for many years. Slightly younger than Len Glover's team but the first game I saw would have had a team something like this:

Edrich
    Edwards
    Stewart
    Barrington
    Younis
    Roope
    Storey
    Long
    Arnold
    Pocock
    Jackman

Probably the best team I saw was that of the two Hollioakes, Stewart, Thorpe, Bicknell etc era. though the slightly earlier generation with Monte Lynch, Alan Butcher, David Ward, Sylvester Clarke and a young Ally Brown was great to watch

I think we need to be patient with the current squad; a lot of youngsters, new coach, lost influential captain (again). Looking good in 20/20.
  • Time to bump this after the fine win against Kent this evening. Couldn't make the game unfortunately despite being in London right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wel played Surrey tonight came out swinging and won with ease
  • How long before the England selectors have a look at Jason Roy? - certainly think he should be in the 20/20 and 50 over squads. In cracking form at the moment.
  • Surrey have loads of money and have massively under performed of recent years. With their resources they should not be in Division 2. The difference between Surrey and Kent resource wise is absolutely massive and showed in the game this evening.
  • Surrey man here. Simple reason. The Oval was my nearest first class ground when I first started going circa 1986.

Same here, although year after you Clem.

I live in Dartford now, however I was brought up in Catford...used to get the 185 bus on Stansted Rd all the way to The Oval. Great times....David Ward was a favourite!

• Was at the game tonight! Pretty close to a seel out! Good atmosphere and a great win! What a season Roy is having! Not sure why we needed so many spinners and think we need one genuine wicket taking quick ie Meaker or dernbach in there! But then we won so no matter!
  • Jade pulled a hammy recently and meaker is only just coming back from a long injury. Packing the team with spinners has been Surrey way for last couple of seasons
  • It's an interesting bit of history that Surrey ended up with a main ground at the London end of the traditional county boundary, whereas Kent's is right down the far end, it could easily have been the other way round with Kent having a massive ground in the Deptford area, and Surrey being based in Guildford, with Kent being the rich county...

Same here, although year after you Clem.

I live in Dartford now, however I was brought up in Catford...used to get the 185 bus on Stansted Rd all the way to The Oval. Great times....David Ward was a favourite!

David Ward is (or was) a Charlton fan.
  • Brian said:

Surrey have loads of money and have massively under performed of recent years. With their resources they should not be in Division 2. The difference between Surrey and Kent resource wise is absolutely massive and showed in the game this evening.

This is true. The money on offer at Surrey has been daft and was the likely influence behind the rotten culture that seemingly manifested itself within the club in recent years.

Perhaps the sad business with Tom Maynard and it's consequences, will ensure the players now focus a bit more on getting the best out of their ability.
  • There have been a few good wins in the County Championship recently, so it seems things are looking up.

Stunning stuff from Roy yesterday. Then in walks Pietersen and casually smashes a 6. Lovely.

Dilshan's dismissal was pretty funny.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yep, Surrey fan too - seemed easier to jump on the 53 than schlepp it to Maidstone or Tonbridge. Although now living in Hampshire, i find myself going to the Rose Bowl more than Oval nowadays.
    Alrhough Roy's figures in 20/20 are great this season, to me , he just looks like a slogger, although not in the same mould as Warner and Finch - he just wants to slog everything - but he certainly hits the ball hard when he does connect.
    Although he went for some last night, thought Riley looks interesting - he's being touted as the next Graeme Swann, and def looks like he might be a good player - and also, he's an Addick.
    Looking forward to 20/20 Finals Day this year , as i'm sure both Surrey and Hampshire will be involved.Anybody know when and where it is this year?
  • Just found out - 20/20 Finals Day is 23rd August at Edgbaston.
  • Hampshire went through the mincer last Friday. Fair play to Kent, they had a go, especially Cowdrey. 70 mph bowling by Stevens and Ball ain't gonna get it done at this level - ordinary.

After years of trying, we've finally got the overseas player right. Dilshan balances up the team nicely.

Galatasary tomorrow night. If we can win there, we are on our way.
  • Simonsen said:

Brian said:

Surrey have loads of money and have massively under performed of recent years. With their resources they should not be in Division 2. The difference between Surrey and Kent resource wise is absolutely massive and showed in the game this evening.

This is true. The money on offer at Surrey has been daft and was the likely influence behind the rotten culture that seemingly manifested itself within the club in recent years.

Perhaps the sad business with Tom Maynard and it's consequences, will ensure the players now focus a bit more on getting the best out of their ability.
    There is still an arrogance about Surrey which does them no favours. I think they, Essex and Hampshire will walk out the Southern group in 20/20 but don't think they will be promoted though.

• Yep Surrey for me, was a member for years up till 2007.
    Was brought up in Catford so Surrey were my local team, no contest.
    A treasured souvenir of Adam Hollioake's shirt when we won the Sunday League in 1996. Had to pay a little taff £30 who was walking round the ground with after Adam threw it from the champagne decked balcony.
    Come on the ree!
  • Galatasary - a step too far.

Northstandsteve - Is he for real?
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Galatasary - a step too far.

Northstandsteve - Is he for real?

There was me thinking that cricket was a gentleman's game, no animosity to the other side and all that!
  • Very good win today at Colwyn Bay against Glamorgan.

Top-notch from Gary Wilson too - declaring when he was on 97 helped give us the overs we needed to win.
  • yes for me it was either a 75 bus to the rectory field (my then bus of choice to the valley) or the 36 bus to the oval from outside the library in torridon road ...the 36 bus won and i ended up a surrey man .The first surrey team i saw was very similar to Len Glovers