Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options

So Sangakkara in as overseas player is a top move by the club experienced and a quality bat!

Azhar Mahmood in for T20's is a useful player in that format with bat and ball! One of the beat bowlers in the tournament last year!

Squad is starting to come together will hopefully add dilshan or another for T20

Batty named as captain which I think is not a bad moved as he is experienced passionate and knows the club !harsh on Gary Wilson who I thought did well last year and deserved a shot at it full time!

SO happy for you, canters.

:smile:

• Options

So Sangakkara in as overseas player is a top move by the club experienced and a quality bat!

Azhar Mahmood in for T20's is a useful player in that format with bat and ball! One of the beat bowlers in the tournament last year!

Squad is starting to come together will hopefully add dilshan or another for T20

Batty named as captain which I think is not a bad moved as he is experienced passionate and knows the club !harsh on Gary Wilson who I thought did well last year and deserved a shot at it full time!

SO happy for you, canters.

:smile:

Thanks FF glad to see you Kent fans can't keep away from our thread!
  • Options
    You can have Rory Hamilton-Brown back if you like. Oops, given away that there is another visitor to the Surrey CCC thread. :smile:
  • Options
    edited February 2015

You can have Rory Hamilton-Brown back if you like. Oops, given away that there is another visitor to the Surrey CCC thread. :smile:

Another one looking for attention.
  • Options
    RHB did alright for us.. nothing spectacular.. was always in the shadow of Maynard Roy DeBruyne and even spriegel at times.. would not get anywhere near our one day or t20 sides and struggle to get in our championship side... Thanks but no thanks!
  • Options
    Good to see the Surrey boys doing well for Ireland... perhaps part of the reason Wilson was overlooked for the captaincy is to do with the possibility of Ireland getting test cricket and him missing more matches...
  • Options

Good to see the Surrey boys doing well for Ireland... perhaps part of the reason Wilson was overlooked for the captaincy is to do with the possibility of Ireland getting test cricket and him missing more matches...

Or it could be that he isn't certain of his place in the side.

Surrey already have the likes of Burns and Davies who can take the gloves. I also wouldn't imagine Foakes signed unless he was promised some sort of prospect of playing as the reason he left Essex was due to James Foster.
  • Options

Or it could be that he isn't certain of his place in the side.

Surrey already have the likes of Burns and Davies who can take the gloves. I also wouldn't imagine Foakes signed unless he was promised some sort of prospect of playing as the reason he left Essex was due to James Foster.
    Out of the four if those mentioned I'd put Wilson as above them for batting and possibly his keeping too! Although with keeping it's hard to tell! It's clear that the club consider Burns keeping to be the least usef!! As When Davies dropped the keeping to concentrate on batting they gave him the gloves but he only lasted one innings and Wilson took over second innings even though in an interview he said as Captain he'd rather not keep!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Also good to see Sangakarra and Dilshan doing well in the world cup! Hope sanga can carry this on in all formats and Dilshan in the T20 for us this year!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sangakkara is, unfortunately, a great signing.

Not sure why you need that 5th keeper though ;-)
  • Options

We did say that about Graham Smith.. and that went well!
  • Options

And KP wasn't that much better given his £ to run ratio!
  • Options

And KP wasn't that much better given his £ to run ratio!
    Agreed and Maxwell was a flop a couple years back! In face I've gone off big names of much rather young hungry players especially if they came through the academy like Roy Burns Ansari Meaker Dunn etc
  • Options
    Looks like KP is not going to the IPL, will play for Surrey to get back into the England set up.
  • Options
    CHG said:

Looks like KP is not going to the IPL, will play for Surrey to get back into the England set up.

Don't want him! Really don't want him! Had too many big name flops in the last few years...
  • Options
    edited March 2015

CHG said:

Don't want him! Really don't want him! Had too many big name flops in the last few years...
    Oh dear looks like KP is on his way back to Surrey.

As the cynic Mark Butcher says, KP probably wouldn't have turned down the 1.5M dollars he was offered last year to play in the IPL but, as he's only getting 200K dollars this year, it wasn't that hard a decision as he is desperate to get back in the Test side.

England still won't pick him and with Sanga and KP in the top five at Surrey it doesn't leave too many places for their up and coming batsmen does it?
  • Options

CHG said:

Oh dear looks like KP is on his way back to Surrey.

As the cynic Mark Butcher says, KP probably wouldn't have turned down the 1.5M dollars he was offered last year to play in the IPL but, as he's only getting 200K dollars this year, it wasn't that hard a decision as he is desperate to get back in the Test side.

England still won't pick him and with Sanga and KP in the top five at Surrey it doesn't leave too many places for their up and coming batsmen does it?
    Annoyed about this... will stop us developing a young player of which we have plenty! I feel of we knew he was coming we would have not got sanga as I don't see room for them both! Would have preferred a spinner as the overseas player! Would take sanga over KP any day!
  • Options
    No issue with a commited KP. He can just replace solanki in the batting line up. Still room for the kids. Also don't forget KP will be involved in the ashes come July
  • Options

No issue with a commited KP. He can just replace solanki in the batting line up. Still room for the kids. Also don't forget KP will be involved in the ashes come July

Yeh right. He has as much chance of playing in the Ashes as I have. And I'm a club 3rd team player who hasn't played for over a decade!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    So today we signed KP! I have no more to say you all know my views!
  • Options
    On a positive note Ansari and Dunn both played well for the MCC! Two top young players we have there!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I was there today!

...but I'm a Worcestershire fan, sorry :P

I was born in Surrey but support Worcestershire!
    I was converted because of Basil D'Oliveira. To the extent that I took a CSV placement just because it was in Worcester, where I lived for over a year.
    New Road is my second favourite sports ground of all time.
  • Options
    http://www.kiaoval.com/surrey-sign-kp/

There's the proof! Stewart seems over the moon which is more than can be said for me..

I just hope he is made to fight for his place in all formats and doesn't walk into the team at the expense of a youngster!
  • Options
    Its gonna be interesting should KP score tons of runs in first 6 games - England cant ignore him ! - if they do, then they risk running the ridicule game, We all know that Captain Cook doesnt want him, and will do anything to keep him out, but should the above happen, and he scores tons, and Cook fails v NZ, then what else can they do ?!
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see who keeps in this friendly! Davies Foakes and Burns playing! And who will keep for the season with Wilson and sanga still to come!
  • Options
    But good to see Ansari and Davies get a few runs today in the pre season friendly! Solanki didn't get many! If I'm honest I can't think see how he fits in to the plans this year! unless we get a lot of injuries! We have a lot of batsmen who are younger we might as well develop some potential!

Looking at this squad I can't help thinking we should expect promotion and fairly comfortably! And a decent stab at the other competitions!
  • Options
    As I said previously, despite what Surrey originally said re Ireland commitments, the reason Wilson lost the captaincy is because he won't get anywhere near the first team in the CC when everyone is available.

I would expect the line up to be something like this:

Burns
    Ansari
    Sangakkara
    KP
    Davies
    Roy
    Foakes
    Batty
    Meaker
    Dunn
    Dernbach

• Options

As I said previously, despite what Surrey originally said re Ireland commitments, the reason Wilson lost the captaincy is because he won't get anywhere near the first team in the CC when everyone is available.

Burns
    Ansari
    Sangakkara
    KP
    Davies
    Roy
    Foakes
    Batty
    Meaker
    Dunn
    Dernbach

Possibly but going on the last couple years and the averages I'd have Wilson above Davies In all formats!
  • Options

Burns
    Ansari
    Sangakkara
    KP
    Davies
    Roy
    Foakes
    Batty
    Meaker
    Dunn
    Dernbach

Possibly but going on the last couple years and the averages I'd have Wilson above Davies In all formats!
    Davies averages just under 40 in FC matches and there was nothing between Davies and Wilson last season - Davies 43 v Wilson 44 with Davies scoring two hundred more runs. Davies averaged 41 in ODs last season and Wilson just 15. In T20s Wilson came out better with 30 vs 17.

From what I can gather Davies has fought back from his troubles. He came out prior to the Ashes, was promptly dropped by England and badly affected by the death of Tom Maynard resulting in a bout of depression.

I would hope that his talent and bravery will be enough to justify him being given the chance to stake his claim.