Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options
    Having some terrific batsmen means bugger all if our bowlers can't do anything.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Unless someone somehow produces a wonderspell of bowling, this has draw written all over it.

Absolutely! I'm a big fan of Curran but as for me he's a bowling all rounder and I'm not sure he's up to being one of three seamers.. I'd rather have meaker! Dernbach hasn't been firing today as he's been ill! And apparently Dunn hasn't been at his best! I know it's early in the season but with two games close together and the number of quick bowlers we have I thought we might rotate the quicks..
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Having some terrific batsmen means bugger all if our bowlers can't do anything.

Agree but it's funny as in previous seasons it's been our batsman letting the bowlers down!

To be fair at the start of the day we were looking at 400 but that didn't come off so the bowlers are in the field quicker than expected and Essex get a lift from the quick wickets! See my above post on Dernbach, Curran and Dunn.

And as much as I rate batty I think we lack a top class spinner!
  • Options
    So scores on the doors! Surrey pick up a late wicket with matt Dunn snaring browne caught behind for 143 including a quite amazing 26 fours! 17yr old Lawrence is 48 not out! And I think Mr One lungs nephew Jamie porter was in as night watchman! Essex 266 for 2!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Dan Lawrence of Essex becomes the third youngest to hit a championship ton in only his 2nd first class match.
    Currently 135 not out.
  • Options
    Apologies been in meetings all morning! A tough morning for Surrey here! As Paul says that 17 yr old kid is going strong and apparently he is looking class! Ryder is 46 not out! Essex 436-4 and one of those wickets is a nightwatchman! Dernbach hasn't bowled been suffering with a side strain after an illness yesterday! It has meant a lot of bowling for Dunn and Curran! I reckon they will need a rest after this game! To make it worse Batty has strained something so is no longer bowling! Not sure I'd he's still on the field or not! So ansari has been putting on a lot of overs... Roy and KP have also both had a trundle!
  • Options
    Essex 444 -4 a lead of over 100
  • Options
    Lawrence moves to his 150 off around 200 balls!
    Essex youngest ever centurion and the third youngest in the county championship! If he gets to 200 he will overtake our own Dom Sibley as the youngest ever championship double centurion!
  • Options
    Also congratulations to Jason Roy and Zafar Ansari both have been named in the England squad for the ODI series against Ireland! Very deserved although Zaf is a surprise! I rate him but not sure one day is his thing!
  • Options
    Ansari proving he is a wicket taker and has got Lawrence caught behind for 161 And Ryder lbw for 57!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dan Lawrence good friends with my nephew (no batting heroics today from him) and played together for Chingford last season winning the Essex Premier League.

Believe his parents were at the game today - well done Dan.
  • Options
    Still a long day for Surrey in the field and particularly Dunn Curran and Ansari! The three of them have bowled the bulk of the overs with dernbach and batty both suffering from injuries..

Essex 590-7
    Smith 43 no
    Napier 61 no
    partnership 91 Napier is going at better than a run a ball!
  • Options
    Napier out caught by Curran trying to go for Jason Roys medium pace! That'll be tea and I expect the declaration but not confirmed!
  • Options
    Essex 610 for eight!!
  • Options
    Not a good start for Surrey in reply! Ansari run out without scoring! Could have done with him having one of his dogged fighting innings where he gets 50 off 250 balls! And a run out in this situation is just unforgivable!
  • Options
    80-2 Surrey, looks like an Essex win on day 4.
  • Options
    Surrey end the day 95 for 2 burns 42 not out and kp at the other end on eight! With rain forecast for tomorrow let's hope for a draw! I must say these last two games have worried me slightly! Think there will be changes in the bowling department as injuries and and tiredness kick in...
  • Options
    Important day for Surrey gonna have to bat long and pray for rain!
  • Options
    Tweet from KP:

Just stood for 50mins on the morning commute. I'm afraid I've got some decisions to make...can you charter trains?!

In the real world, KP, that is what a lot of people have to do - every working day of their life too.
  • Options

As an Essex fan I pray for the threat of rain. That will mean cloud cover and a better chance of getting the win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As an Essex fan I pray for the threat of rain. That will mean cloud cover and a better chance of getting the win.
    Until rain comes and wipes out the rest of the day!
  • Options
    Start delayed by rain this morning!
  • Options
    A lucky escape for Surrey
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

A lucky escape for Surrey

Indeed it was.. didn't deserved the draw but rain washing out the last day helped! We need to move on and changes need to be made before the next game! Not a good enough performance with bat or ball!
  • Options
    so is it the pitches ? or is it Surreys bowling attack ? looks a bit weak in the spin bowling dept to me
  • Options
    lolwray said:

so is it the pitches ? or is it Surreys bowling attack ? looks a bit weak in the spin bowling dept to me

Both pitches have been good batting tracks but can't blame that! Need to be able to take 20 wickets on a match full stop..

I rate batty highly but I do think we lack a top class spinner and if batty gets injured we are gonna seriously struggle with ansari kapil and Van Den Berg the only spinners...

In terms of this match Dernbach had a side strain and barely bowled and when he did bowl was far from his best so I'm told! Dunn and Curran both had good periods last season but to expect those two to do that amount of bowling in what is their first full season is absurd! I think they will both go on to have good career's particularly Dunn but early in the season when we have so many experienced quicks in reserve to play them both was maybe naive!

I also have questions over Curran, in the youth teams he was very much a bat seven and fourth seamer all rounder which is fine but now he is batting at nine below batty so it seems in the senior team he is perhaps not good enough to bat higher? But then is he good enough to be one of three seamer? I don't know!

When we have Meaker who I feel is the biggest wicket taking threat we have had in a few years waiting in reserve and the experience of tremlett and also Linley who's wicketa were key to our last promotion season I feel we should have started the season with a little more experience in the quick bowling department! And over the season rotation would have allowed everyone a chance.

In terms of spinners I feel Batty and Ansari are good enough but I'd be worried if we lost one..

It must also be said that in the last match the batsmen should have done better!
  • Options
    Dernbach being injured was a big problem for you. He's not as crap with the red ball as he is with the white ball ;)
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Dernbach being injured was a big problem for you. He's not as crap with the red ball as he is with the white ball ;)

I think it's more of a he's a decent county bowler but can't make the step up to international and got found out a bit by all the extra research they do at that level so they were more able to read his variations!

In last year's t20 he was one of the best bowlers in the competition if you looked at the figures...
  • Options
    Good luck today to Surrey boys Jason Roy and Zafar Ansari for England today! Lining up against Gary Wilson and former Surrey player Kevin O'Brien!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    12 man squad named for the next championship game... tremlett in for the injured dernbach! I suspect tremlett and meaker will both play with Curran missing out!