Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who's off the booze for January?

edited January 2008 in Not Sports Related
By the number of people logged in at 10.30 I'd say quite a few!
I usually do but since my major diet last year I don't feel the need. January is a much better month with a beer!
Not had one tonight........yet!

Comments

• have you finished on your diet now, how did it end up ? You made a big effort and should be very proud.

I lost about 3/4s of a stone in the last two months of the year, and have ramped up the healthy eating and exercise since the turn of the year, and well into it at the moment. Want to lose between another 3/4 to a stone. Not given up booze or anything because i always never stick to it, but i'm trying to be more sensible.
  • edited January 2008
    I lost 4 stone in total. I finshed on Nov 30th. Had a pretty heavy December. Put about 10lb back on which I expected. Being good again now, joined the new sports Centre in Eltham. Want to get back to between 13st 4lb- 13st 8lb.
  • I didn''t drink on new years day, does that count?

I really need to drop down from 17 stone, at 22 it's pretty disgusting, just have no idea how to do it ! I don't eat that badly and get a fair amount of excersise, oh well.
  • I am now 12 days into sobriety after boozing almost every day from the middle of November, feeling much better already although I do get a bit twitchy once I finish work and have to quickly distract myself.

I just need to get back down the Gym now.....

As for Stu, well, I dropped from 114Kgs (18 stones) in Jan '06 to 96kgs (15 stones) by the end of April by cutting the booze down to just two days a week, exercising 5 times per week for one hour at the Gym and really cutting down on the bread/rice/pasta and instead eating more fruit and steamed vegetables and grilled chicken and fish.

The weight just dropped off and once you start exercising you actually don't WANT to drink much grog or eat shit food because your body just does not want it, you lose any desire to consume any crap.

The problem comes once you get back on the grog again (like I did) and you start craving fatty foods, carbs and dairy stuff which in turn puts the weight back on and in turn makes you lose the will to exercise.

It's all a matter of will and not giving in to yourself.
  • I've been off Cigarettes and Alcohol for a week now and been down the gym 3 times already since new year and run for longer than i've ever run for in my life. Feeling quite proud of myself so far, and not finding the smoking thing difficult as yet. Although having said that, I haven't been out around people drinking and smoking yet so things could change although I'm expecting it to be easier as its cold outside and the no smoking in pubs, surely can't be more difficult than other times i've tried to give up.

I joined the gym in september and have been going 2 or 3 times a week since then, although all the good work that was starting to pay off seemed to go wrong over xmas, but i'm hoping it'll be ok as i'm back into the swing of things and only didn't visit the gym for 2 weeks over xmas. so i've only essentially missed 4 sessions.

I have a target of July as I'm going to Benicassim and then I'm going to be bridesmaid at my brothers wedding and as he's getting married to a 5 foot nothing skinny minny and her other bridemaids are the same, i'm going to be the odd one out at the back at nearly 6ft!!!

its a realistic target for me of 7 months to lose 2 stone I think. I've got a charity walk to do in May which I've got to train for as well which will help and I hope to get out on the bike at the weekends to boost the midweek gym sessions. If I can do a month with no booze I may do alternate months off the booze up to the summer as well. although I only drink vodka and diet coke or white wine, i'm sure cutting it out can't do any harm!
  • good luck Suzi, sounds like you're already well on your way.
  • im back on the saddle after nearly 3 months of neglect... only 3lbs put on but back at the grind now as holiday on 28th Feb.
  • I haven't had a drink in January mainly because I'm not well although trying to work through it. Stayed at home Monday though.

Having got this far I am considering carrying on but as I normally give up drink for Lent anyway and Easter is early I'm potentially committing myself to 3 months off it which is a long time!

I'm not a big drinker anyway (have to drive too often) but every so often, commitments permitting, I do enjoy a drink or five.
  • I've not had a drink in anger since christmas eve... only had a couple on new years eve as we were in a Disney park and it just wasnt necessary.

Feel better for it I must admit
  • Gave up smoking for New Year having started again last year after 3 years off, going well so far. Was going to try to stop the beers too but decided too big an ask at this point, but have reduced back to pre-December levels.

I am about to get the bike back out again as I was cycling to work in the summer but have stopped due to my hatred of getting wet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Off the booze? why???
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Off the booze? why???

Quite, drink is empty carbohydrates (just makes you fat) but if you eat a bit less and move a bit more it should not be sacrificed!!!! Under no circumstances!

In all seriousness if any of the gym goers have the option of a boxing facility use it or if you can afford it then one on one sessions with a boxing trainer will see pounds of fat fly off.

Don't see many podgy 14 stone boxers do you?? ;-)

All that said I could do with getting back to a sensible fighting weight!!
  • You don't see many fat alcoholics.....
  • Off the booze, 9 days and struggling, getting loads of headaches, I hope that is normal?
  • off the booze,crisps chocolate,cheese just eating fruit brown bread and chicken etc,wish i could afford gym and had time so walkin to work 2 miles there and back each day.
  • Never really understood this giving up things in January business, if you cannot give up something any other time of the year, why January?

Me I would say I have stepped up my drinking so far this year Pub had it's Staff Christmas Party on Monday & I went out on it for the footie last night & I am someone who never goes out Midweek! I am doing No exercise as have had an ankle ligament injury for six weeks now. Think I could quite get used to this drinking during the week & taking no exercise.
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Off the booze? why???

Quite, drink is empty carbohydrates (just makes you fat) but if you eat a bit less and move a bit more it should not be sacrificed!!!! Under no circumstances!

In all seriousness if any of the gym goers have the option of a boxing facility use it or if you can afford it then one on one sessions with a boxing trainer will see pounds of fat fly off.

Don't see many podgy 14 stone boxers do you?? ;-)

All that said I could do with getting back to a sensible fighting weight!!

I need to get more exercise but the thought of going to the gym bores be silly.

Started martial arts training last night, could bearly move when I woke up this morning!!
  • no point in giving booze up in january. the month is depressing enough as it is so why put yourself through more torture.

I liked the article in the paper yesterday about those who drink and exercise live longer than those who dont drink... i signed up with a personal trainer down my gym yesterday and went to the pub straight after. result.
  • as a matter of interest all the people who do go to a gym,how much do you pay?
  • i pay for two, work and council. Decided to use one for the first time last year on December 31st !!

Not sure where you live Steve, but i pay £35 for my Bexley council one, which includes all centres in the borough (gyms and pools) and free classes (not that i've ever been to one)
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenwich council one is excellent Steve. 39 quid but i dont think you live in the borough. you get to use charlton/arches/woolwich and the spangly new one at Eltham.

My one in the city is 62 quid. not bad for the city since it also has a pool and im an olympic swimmer.
  • I am gonna proper retox on saturday

Abstaining in january is for pussys
  • Not yet, but will be from the 10th.
  • Going for a ‘damp’ Jan as have 2 evenings out that I am unlikely not to drink at (one is a wine tasting evening after all). Then going totally dry February. Will try to adopt the same each year now I reckon.

Also giving up red meat for the same period!
  • Riviera said:

Not yet, but will be from the 10th.

Is that when the pub reopens after the yearly paint job?
  • This thread reminds me how annoying it is to have a January birthday. Lots of mates "detoxing"!

I'm going for a relatively dry January - only out maybe twice this month (actual birthday/birthday celebration), and then twice next (or once - if the Jacksonville Jaguars reach the Super Bowl then I'll be drinking Feb 4th, otherwise my mate's birthday around the 24th).

Just gonna cut down in general, though - December was heavy.
  • PopIcon said:

Riviera said:

Not yet, but will be from the 10th.

Is that when the pub reopens after the yearly paint job?
    No we only closed for one day this year for a deep clean. I'm off to Munich for a couple of days so it starts after that.
  • I make wine and have not had a drink in 2 weeks. Celebrated New Years with kombucha. I always need a break from alcohol after harvest.
  • No, but will be dry for a few days. 2 whole days without alcohol so far :smile:
  • Sitting in an airport having my last beer for the month, will try and cut down on all alcohol but cut beer out completely.