Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Danny Brock winner tonight 7/1 in the 10 to 9 at ffos las. I wasn't on it!
  • edited August 2014

Danny Brock winner tonight 7/1 in the 10 to 9 at ffos las. I wasn't on it!

At least a couple of us were on it.
    I had small ew early yesterday morning and got 16's.
    He's on a couple at Newmarket this evening. Not massive prices so may do singles and double.
  • He doesnt win them all - so pick carefully!! Im glad a few got on it.
  • Great stuff guys. Sorry about Mr Plum. Just ignore him.
    Another shocking day at Goodwood and Gallway. Fortunately dragged a profit out of the other meetings.
    Good tip/advice sonic.
    Lets turn this in to a bookie basher thread.
  • Going back to Danny Brock, his ride yesterday for the 7/1 winner was superb. Led from the front, went early and they couldn't catch him. All on a horse that had zero turf form. Considering 2nd was 25/1 and third was 16/1, he tore the better horses a new one. Impressed.
  • He is a mates - mates - cousin so have been watching him for a few weeks and have been impressed. I started off when he placed a 50/1 shot. Been up on him since but unfortunately was at a work do last night and wasnt watching! Its a shame Potter has left, could've got me that pint through him! ;-)
  • Great thread you have started here Absurdistan and great advice as regards ignoring the odd one on a wind up guess that happens every thread on here! Off to Lingfield tomorrow night as
  • Oops sent too early!!! Was meant to of added off to Lingfield tomorrow night but purely as a punter i don't enjoy the music nights as the quality of racing is poor and not sounding a snob you do get some idiots turn up at these nights.But I understand it brings in much needed money to racing and when a group of you go its a fun night out.
  • Great stuff guys. Sorry about Mr Plum. Just ignore him.
    Another shocking day at Goodwood and Gallway. Fortunately dragged a profit out of the other meetings.
    Good tip/advice sonic.
    Lets turn this in to a bookie basher thread.

Absurdistan you have flagged me 10 times for abuse on this discussion thread. In what way have I been abusive?
    You also encourage others to ignore me, but you are unable to ignore me yourself.

• Lets turn this in to a bookie basher thread.

There would be no Sport of Kings without bookmakers!
  • Sponsored links:

• This is an Australian article not written by animal rights people but César Albarrán Torres a Teaching Fellow in the Digital Cultures Program at the University of Sydney. Peter John Chen is a politics lecturer at the University of Sydney's Department of Government.

'While Australian society no longer tolerates the brutal treatment of animals simply for our entertainment in circuses, horse racing remains immune.

This lack of sanction is strange, as racing also represents an important element of our national gambling problem.

The exclusion of horse racing from Australia's ethical dialogue is a blind spot that needs to be considered, particularly in light of the recent near hysteria about the slaughter practices of "our" cattle overseas.

The track is big business in Australia. Last year, we hosted nearly 19,000 professional races, 11 per cent of the global total. Gambling and thoroughbred racing are inseparable in Australia. During the last decade, racing's gambling turnover has gone from $12 to $20 billion.

Expenditure on gambling as a proportion of household discretionary spending has almost doubled since the 1980s, driven by deregulation and new ubiquitous ways to bet. Online gambling tears down all sorts of spatial barriers: you don't need to reach the nearest TAB to bet.

Like with pokies, racing perpetuates the hold of the gambling industry over leisure markets in Australia. As demonstrated in numerous studies, this unproductive expenditure leads to the disruption of family and community life.

Racing is also inherently wasteful of life. Almost half of foals produced in Australia are not live births, and competition for a smaller number of more lucrative prizes means that most horses never make the cut to be a champion.

Over 10,000 will be sent to the slaughterhouse this year alone. If you've ever wanted to own a share in a racehorse, look at that can of dog food sitting on your shelf. You're already part of the industry.

At its heart, racing is a cruel sport that uses animals for our pleasure. Horses are bred, trained and forced to perform an unnatural spectacle. Races reaffirm the domination of humans over animals.

Through these rituals we proclaim Nature is there to be tamed and exploited. It is strange that it is the shady presence of gambling that makes this apparently okay.

When no wagers are at stake, Australians have tended to be more progressive in our treatment of animals in entertainment. Zoos have been remodelled to increase their specimens' quality of life and direct resources towards the conservation of endangered species. The use of exotic animals in circuses has been banned by many local governments in Australia.

Only in racing do we still let humans whip animals. Regulations that establish how much a racehorse can be whipped are just a way to appease the debate, but fail to address the underlying fact that whipping of any kind is unethical.

Some of us take solace in the argument that race horses have been bred over generations to "need" the racing life, just as sheep now must be shorn because selective breeding has led to excessive wool growth. While today's descendants of the Arabian horse are long of leg and swift, it's a mistake to see the way the racing industry manage their stock as anywhere near natural.

The industrial needs of the commercial racing industry take precedence across the whole lifecycle. Horses are artificially bred out of their natural mating season to maximise their time for race training and to lengthen the productive period of the horse's life.

Training bears no relationship to the health needs of the animal, as much as to optimise their economic potential within the industry's very small window of opportunity.

Those who defend racing argue that the animals actually enjoy the sport. "The horses are happy and like to run," they claim. However, horses exhibit a range of health effects that show that their management is purely in the interest of productivity.

This includes the health impacts of excessive training at a young age. Immature skeletons are subject to considerable stress, leading to early injury and death. Two-year-olds often exhibit stomach ulcers because the training regime denies them the opportunity to engage in natural grazing.

True, the most profitable horses become "celebrities", but that does not mean that they enjoy their 15 minutes of fame. Black Caviar is whipped as brutally as any other horse.

Others allude to tradition, painting critics of the industry as "un-Australian". But cultures change and traditions evolve through moral and ethical questioning.

There is an increasing number of voices against bullfights in Spain and Mexico, two countries where this spectacular bloodshed is also seen as "traditional". Public opinion against fights in Spain has doubled in the past 15 years, and now stands at 70 per cent. This has led to bullfighting being banned in the Spanish region of Catalonia, even if it produced millions of euros in taxes and revenue.

Others argue that unless racing's critics don't use animal products of any kind (for food, clothing, medicine, or even as pets), their position is hypocritical. We need to exercise a high level of scepticism when such a ruthlessly pragmatic industry resorts to arguments based on ethical purism.

Animals have been exploited as cattle for millennia; however, drawing a moral equivalency between racing and other forms of animal agriculture is unsound. There is a key difference between their treatment as food and in an unnecessary entertainment activity.

In our immensely unequal world, many societies still need meat for nutritional reasons, but all societies can live without the exploitation of animals for leisure.

We need to reflect carefully in Australia about how easily we are alarmed by how other countries, most of which are perceived as "underdeveloped", treat animals. The recent outcry over the cruel practices in Indonesian abattoirs is a good example.

Some of the same people that were horrified by images of how Australian cattle is slaughtered overseas cheer at the races while an animal with pieces of metal nailed to its hoofs, with chemicals running through its bloodstream, and a jockey brutalising it with a whip makes millions of dollars for those who exploit it.

We need to exercise the same moral standards to our own behaviour that we project to our regional neighbours. The tolerance of recreational animal cruelty in Australia weakens our ability to talk with authority about the food production practices of those in developing nations.

In a more honest ethical debate, gambling and the fair treatment of animals should be at the forefront of this discussion.'

I think I recently read about established stables who have been drugging horses for one reason or another, which seems to be wrong.
    Many folk on another thread here say they are proud to be British, well this is a British law from 2006:

That animals have the right to have these needs either met, or not prevented from enjoying:

•need for a suitable environment
    •need for a suitable diet
    •need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns
    •need to be housed with, or apart, from other animals
    •need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.

If this thread was titled something like Horseracing Gambling Thread I would have not even read it, but the title of the thread invites discussion.

Simply by suggesting there is something dodgy about Horse Racing I have been subject to personal abuse, and my posts flagged for abuse. I think that may well say more about the people who wish to be antagonistic to the discussion than it does about me.

• Well absurdistan you flagged my lengthy post for abuse as soon as it was posted. care to say why, or are you taking the bullying approach?
  • edited August 2014
    Can someone change the thread title then FFS

Seth, you knew full well the aim of this thread. Whilst i don't agree with the personal insults, you did try and act dumb at the start and then revealed what you really wanted to post, which has rubbed people up the wrong way.

This thread is to talk about horse racing and betting, not about animal welfare etc. I don't know why you keep coming back.
    #LeaveItYeah
  • Can someone change the thread title then FFS

How about change it to the copy and paste bollocks thread
  • Can someone change the thread title then FFS

Seth, you knew full well the aim of this thread. Whilst i don't agree with the personal insults, you did try and act dumb at the start and then revealed what you really wanted to post, which has rubbed people up the wrong way.

This thread is to talk about horse racing and betting, not about animal welfare etc. I don't know why you keep coming back.
    #LeaveItYeah

This.

No reason why Seth can't start his own 'Animal Welfare' thread.
  • gone for
    Pethers Moon
    Shifting Power
    Extortionist
    Son of Africa
    Muteela
    & Rydan today.
    Would recommend avoiding all of these based on my record at Goodwood this week.
  • I posted because I was uncomfortable with a thread that in my view (and that of others) glorifies a cruel and damaging industry, and I extended my stay because smiffyboy was personally abusive and that provoked me to linger around.
    I accept that really this thread is supposed to be about gambling and probably not about sport at all, so I will leave it there as most of you have suggested.
  • seth plum said:

I posted because I was uncomfortable with a thread that in my view (and that of others) glorifies a cruel and damaging industry, and I extended my stay because smiffyboy was personally abusive and that provoked me to linger around.
    I accept that really this thread is supposed to be about gambling and probably not about sport at all, so I will leave it there as most of you have suggested.

you just can't help yourself!
  • ValleyGary eh?

This is what you posted at 11.05

'This thread is to talk about horse racing and betting'

Clear enough?

• Last time i looked Horse Racing was a sport?!!!

I don't even know why I'm biting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seth thanks for derailing my thread.
    My interest in horse racing is
    a) The horses
    b) The jockey's
    c) betting (small stakes for a bit of fun.)
    If it wasn't for horse racing, there would be far fewer horses in the world.
  • Go away Seth.

Anyway always have a little bet on Heavens Guest, hoping he can see out a mile in the 3.05

Fancy Moviesta in the 3.40
  • Absurdistan I realise that your sense of proprietary of this thread has led you to flagging me for abuse (something I have never done to anybody), and as I have said we ought to leave it there don't you agree?
  • It's not a sport :-)
  • Define "Sport". Is chess a sport? ;-)
  • Mrs Stig is off on a works do to Newmarket this afternoon. Anyone got any tips?
  • edited August 2014
    Danny Brock is riding Athletic tonight - Its a sign! He has had a 1st and a 2nd on this horse. 11/4 shot.

7:30 stig
  • I was going to back Horsted Keynes in the 3.05 Goodwood. Until I saw that Roger Varian has a record of 0-44 at the track. And this is a trainer who, away from Goodwood, has an overall record of just under 20%.
  • gone for
    Pethers Moon
    Shifting Power
    Extortionist
    Son of Africa
    Muteela
    & Rydan today.
    Would recommend avoiding all of these based on my record at Goodwood this week.

Boom.....................1 down