Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

streaming boxes for Netflix, Amazon Prime etc

Can anyone recommend any good, low-cost devices for watching Netflix & Amazon Prime etc. on the TV?
(my bluray player does BBC but not these two, so have to use PC)

Comments

• HDMI cable if your TV and PC/laptop has a HDMI port, and it is in reachable length to one another.

Otherwise I HIGHLY recommend one of these, takes 10 seconds to set up and can turn it on with one click of a button.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/digital-home/3465401/google-chromecast-release-date-price-specs-devices-services-uk/
  • PC VGA and sound cable into your tv... sorted.
  • I use a Mac Mini but its not cheap...
  • I also use my kindle fire micro hdmi to hdmi cable and device are about £100 all in.
  • We use our Wii for Netflix..works well and means we didn't need to buy another gadget
  • Chromecast...£30 simple
  • csr_cafc said:

Chromecast...£30 simple

What's that?
  • I use my PS3, but if you have Virgin (and probably Sky, but not checked) and use a TIVO box, you can access it through there, as there's a seperate channel for this. Seen it on Virgin, but I only have the V+ box and doesn't work for that.
  • Kap10 said:

csr_cafc said:

Chromecast...£30 simple

What's that?
    I would recommend Chromecast as a cost effective solution.....

http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/chrome/devices/chromecast/
  • edited March 2014
    Thanks all.
    Chromecast you seem to need some sort of android phone or ipad etc to control, is that right? I don't have any such device, so need something that you work direct with a supplied remote-control. Also don't have Virgin or Sky.
  • Sponsored links:

• Salad said:

Thanks all.
    Chromecast you seem to need some sort of android phone or ipad etc to control, is that right? I don't have any such device, so need something that you work direct with a supplied remote-control. Also don't have Virgin or Sky.

Plug it into your laptop/PC and can stream netflix from that, you press one button at the top right of your browser and it streams it onto your TV
  • PC different room and don't have laptop
  • edited March 2014
    Roku stick has even better reviews. I have the roku 3 and it's a lovely bit of kit , so easy to use and doesn't rely on stuff being beamed across like the chrome cast. Plus it comes with a remote which the chromecast doesn't .

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/roku-streaming-stick-hits-uk-costs-50/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQOBE9n-4bs
  • but I don't have smartphones etc. just want a nice old fashioned box!
  • edited March 2014
    You could always look on ebay for someone selling a knackered ps3 that no longer plays discs (cost about £80 to replace the blu-ray laser). Since the ps4 came out I'd imagine they'll be plenty of these knocking around pretty cheap. As long as it powers up to the menu, you're good to go...............

Edit: Or an xbox 360?
  • edited March 2014
    Something like this one............... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PlayStation-3-40-GB-Clear-Black-Console-PAL-/131149327634?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item1e891bed12

If you decide to go down this route, make sure you ask the seller what's wrong with it if not clearly listed and explain what you want it for. Avoid if it states YLOD (yellow light of death)
  • You could always look on ebay for someone selling a knackered ps3 that no longer plays discs (cost about £80 to replace the blu-ray laser). Since the ps4 came out I'd imagine they'll be plenty of these knocking around pretty cheap. As long as it powers up to the menu, you're good to go...............

I am 99% sure you need a gold subscription to access services such as netflix (even though they are at a further premium) so that rules out the 360.
  • Salad said:

but I don't have smartphones etc. just want a nice old fashioned box!

You don't need a smart phone for the roku stick. That's the biggest difference between that and the chromecast.

• Some great advice here, Roku looks good but for 1/3 the price I think I might buy Chromecast
  • Sponsored links:

• Huskaris said:

You could always look on ebay for someone selling a knackered ps3 that no longer plays discs (cost about £80 to replace the blu-ray laser). Since the ps4 came out I'd imagine they'll be plenty of these knocking around pretty cheap. As long as it powers up to the menu, you're good to go...............

I am 99% sure you need a gold subscription to access services such as netflix (even though they are at a further premium) so that rules out the 360.
    PS3 then, just plug in and go. Plus if you use a PS3 you can log into Netflix of other countrys and get a better selection
  • se9addick said:

Some great advice here, Roku looks good but for 1/3 the price I think I might buy Chromecast

1/3 price?

The roku stick is £50 and the chromecast is £30 isn't it?

• buckshee said:

se9addick said:

Some great advice here, Roku looks good but for 1/3 the price I think I might buy Chromecast

1/3 price?

The roku stick is £50 and the chromecast is £30 isn't it?

Sorry - I just had a quick google and only saw pricing of £90 for Roku, do you know where I can get one for £50 ?
  • Jumping in on this thread, can anyone recommend any good, low-cost devices for watching cartoon HD app from ipad on my TV?
    Apple TV or something else?
  • Jumping in on this thread, can anyone recommend any good, low-cost devices for watching cartoon HD app from ipad on my TV?
    Apple TV or something else?

http://store.apple.com/uk/question/answers/product/MC552ZM/B/how-do-you-connect-the-ipad-to-a-tv-to-watch-movies/Q9YAH2CTY9XHPXHKP
  • edited August 2014
    I waited to see if Amazon were going to offer something, they haven't, so time to act.
    Is it a toss-up between Roku, Apple and Chromecast?
    Also it looks like neither can charge from HDMI port so what do you do about keeping the charged?

Like that Roku has a remote since I don't personally have smart phone etc. although rest of the family do.
    Apart from lack of remote, Chromecast seems best value.
    Don't like that The Apple box doesn't seem to do iPlayer or C4.
  • The Roku little boxes offer more streaming services than the stick. I have a Chromecast which is great for using with Plex (media server on my mac) and Netflix. Needs more apps.

Roku is more expensive but personally I would go for one of them. Have an Apple TV that was leaving present from my previous job, hardly use it.
  • Salad said:

I waited to see if Amazon were going to offer something, they haven't, so time to act.
    Is it a toss-up between Roku, Apple and Chromecast?
    Also it looks like neither can charge from HDMI port so what do you do about keeping the charged?

Like that Roku has a remote since I don't personally have smart phone etc. although rest of the family do.
    Apart from lack of remote, Chromecast seems best value.
    Don't like that The Apple box doesn't seem to do iPlayer or C4.

You can mirror it from an iPad though and the quality's very good.
  • Roku all the way. Got a Roku 3 last weekend, it took about 5 minutes to set up (no exaggeration) and then I simply selected the OD "channels" I wanted (4OD, iPlayer, 5OD and itv player.) and logged in to Netflix. I ended up signing up for Now TV too, mainly for the comedies.

There's loads of other channels that may take your fancy too, like TED talks.

The remote control is surprisingly good, and I did the obligatory angry birds session. The neat thing about the remote control is being able to plug headphones in to it. Especially useful with the Spotify app on there.

The only downside; as an Amazon Prime subscriber it would've been a bonus for Amazon Instant Video to be compatible. But that's a small inconvenience as I never use it anyway. (Rumours are that Sky, a big backer of Roku, put pressure to stop Amazon being unable to take advantage of it.)

I'm not a TV lover, and the truth be told I don't watch any TV really; only ever with the girlfriend. In fact I don't have a TV, I have the Roku plugged in to my big HD LCD that I run my computer on to. In the last week I've ended up changed surprisingly.