Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I Need Glasses !

Yes, i know, queue the comments !! - bring em on !!!

Its come to that time in life when its quite obvious that i require glasses.
Years of looking at computer screens have finally taken their toll, and i have to succumb.

I can see perfectly long distance but struggle with books and computer screens etc.

Anyway, the question is, where do i start? Do i go to the Traditional Optician or do i go to Specsavers etc.?
What type of glasses ? - what are varifocals (as per Pragues thread )?

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Varifocals when your eyes can't sort out near from far- e.g food ingredients on a packet too small or blurred even with glasses. You drop the glasses a good way down your nose and the small writing becomes clear as can be. You are likely to be quite a way from needing varifocals yet i think, possibly just need standard glasses for reading. But go see optician. The harder part is choosing frames i find! (Now looking into Asda for this as per the other thread).
  • Options
    Specsavers really are very good every time I've dealt with them. You can get two pairs of glasses for £69 (but one get one free) so can get a spare pair or a pair prescription sunglasses if you want.
  • Options
    Hit the same thing about 12 months ago. I've been buying decent and mild non prescription glasses for the last year and they do help. The big thing though by going down this route is that buying over the counter specs does not allow for any difference there might be in the two eyes. One might be sronger / weaker than the other. I have in the last few weeks had my eyes tested properly and am gearing up to spend a fortune on prescription glasses for the first time.

Isn't getting old just great.
  • Options
    Is there a history of glaucoma in you family if yes then eye tests are free.
    I got my first double glazing last year and shopped around the usual places.
    Some offer reading sunglasses free and various other deals.
    Beware although it is an epiphany when you first wear them your eyes will get worse.
  • Options
    You can buy reading glasses off the shelf BUT if your main issue is with computer screens, I'd say that you should get your eyes professionally tested because the distance of a computer screen from your eyes is, often, neither one thing or the other.
    I might be out of touch here but do not all employers have a responsibility to pay for eye tests for employees that use computer screens?
  • Options
    Yes, I thought so: hse.gov.uk/msd/faq-dse.htm
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2014
    Have won glasses for reading since I was 12. Its no big deal. The trick is to get a pair that you like to wear that are stylish. Don't buy the cheapist geekiest pair in the store just because they are cheap. Buy a pair that you like. You then don't mind wearing them when you need to. Get a second pair for back up. Think twice before getting suckered into buying lots of extra coatings by Specsavers. It is how they make their money.

Varifocals are for short sight sight and distance. You may not need them, so don't worry about it.
  • Options
    Thanks evryone for your comments.
    Will Specsavers give me a proper eye test?
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2014

Thanks evryone for your comments.
    Will Specsavers give me a proper eye test?

Of course. Perfectly OK for a proper eye test. Look out for the voucher from work or £5 or free eye test coupons. Specsavers are fine. The flogging of all the coatings is a bit of pain. It can really bump up the cost of the glasses. They make you feel like you are not getting a proper pair of glasses without them. You don't have to bite.

Check the glasses in store before doing the eye test. If you don't like them go to another branch.
  • Options
    My left eye is shocking but my right eye is near perfect. Not sure if eye need glasses or not ? :) ?
    Had a test a few years back and optician said if it isn't effecting my everyday life then don't worry.
    Only really notice it when I try to clock a bit of crumpet in my rear view mirror!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    If you are ill, you see your GP
    if you have problem with your teeth , you see your dentist.

therefore it stands to reason that if you are having problems with your eyes you go and see an optician. let them see what is wrong with your eyes before you start wondering what glasses you may need.

Not hard to understand is it ?
  • Options
    Just reading the title of this thread I thought it was going to be a confessional by Viewfinder...
  • Options
    I told you you'd end up blind if you didn't leave it alone.
  • Options

I told you you'd end up blind if you didn't leave it alone.

I'm living proof that that's a load of old bollocks, my eyesight is perfect.
  • Options
    I realised a few years back it was the time to get glasses, like you I have no problems with long distance, you can get a free eye test at tesco stores that have an opticians and their glasses are cheap if you don't want to spend to much. It makes things so much clearer you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
  • Options
    Go to an opticians's, get a test. The test results belong to you, not the Optician so make sure you get a copy.

Personally, I'd spend more to get something decent, your eyesight is much more important than a new TV or flashy clothes. Anti reflective coatings look so much better, while thinner high refractive lenses are a lot more comfortable to wear than the basic thicker lenses.
  • Options

My left eye is shocking but my right eye is near perfect. Not sure if eye need glasses or not ? :) ?
    Had a test a few years back and optician said if it isn't effecting my everyday life then don't worry.
    Only really notice it when I try to clock a bit of crumpet in my rear view mirror!

No, you need a monocle.
  • Options
    I can highly recommend glassesdirect.co.uk once you have a prescription.
  • Options
    I've hit that time of life....10 hours a day working on a screen has finally taken it's toll at 46, have just picked up my first pair of varifocals - gonna take a bit of getting used to I reckon!!

not sure if I'd ever get on with contact lenses - any positive / negative experiences?
  • Options
    How many focal lengths do they have....2 or 3?

I got my first varifocals a couple of years back. They have 3 focal lengths. Took me ages to get used to them.....but I'm fine with them now. Was all a bit 'trippy' for a few weeks after I got them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pretty sure it's 3
  • Options
    You don’t have to buy glasses from the place where you get the test. Take the prescription and go elsewhere if they don’t have what you want at the price you’re happy to pay. 
  • Options
    ended up spending far too much on a pair - but given I'll be wearing them most of the time now, it was worth it
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Just seen the original post was from 2014...
  • Options
    I can recommend those half moon shaped glasses that you can see out of over the top of the lens.
    I find they don’t wear out so quick.😉
  • Options
    One thing Id certainly advise people going forward is look around online for your glasses now.

You can ask for a copy of your prescription when you go to Boots / Specsavers for your eye test

But its ridiculous how much you can save going through an online company now - e.g. I've got a designer pair of glasses that cost me about £150 in total, and thats because my prescription is really bad so need the extra thin lenses etc.

Had I done that through anyone like Specsavers, the frames alone would have been about £200
  • Options
    I can recommend those half moon shaped glasses that you can see out of over the top of the lens.
    I find they don’t wear out so quick.😉
    What the eyes??
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    One thing Id certainly advise people going forward is look around online for your glasses now.

You can ask for a copy of your prescription when you go to Boots / Specsavers for your eye test

But its ridiculous how much you can save going through an online company now - e.g. I've got a designer pair of glasses that cost me about £150 in total, and thats because my prescription is really bad so need the extra thin lenses etc.

Had I done that through anyone like Specsavers, the frames alone would have been about £200
    agree with this, I'm wearing a pair of diesel glasses at the moment that cost me something like £29 including the lenses.

if you subscribe to Martin Lewis' MSE email it regularly has links to companies selling glasses for under £30
  • Options
    I've hit that time of life....10 hours a day working on a screen has finally taken it's toll at 46, have just picked up my first pair of varifocals - gonna take a bit of getting used to I reckon!!

not sure if I'd ever get on with contact lenses - any positive / negative experiences?
     Same happened to me a year ago. Finally got a pair but I'm murder for not wearing them. My eyesight is going at a rate of notts!

Said to myself that I'm gonna treat myself to some laser surgery. Couldn't be doing with contact lenses
  • Options
    I have an astigmatism that means I cant wear glasses. I have to wear special scleral contact lenses. £55 each from the NHS.

I did read an article recently that said a University in Liverpool were researching & trialling glasses for people with my condition (keratoconus) and hoping that in the next few years they will be able to bring out glasses for me to wear. 

Never thought I'd be wishing I could just wear glasses.......