Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Away goal rule in extra time

Am I the only one who thinks the away goal rule should not count in extra time it's unfair on the home team as the away team have an additional 30 minutes to score goals.

Comments

• Or the home team have an extra 30 mins being roared on by their own crowd.
  • Not when it's Chelsea.
  • If it's Chelski, then yes. Hahaha
  • Not sure I agree with the away goal rule at all.

Having said that , I too am pleased Chelski are out.
  • Personally I think it should only count after extra time and not after 90 minutes as it is an unsatisfactory way to decide a tie, but better than pens.
  • It's a stupid rule, I don't care that they are out but Chelsea are supposed to have an advantage in the second game because they won their group and PSG didn't.
    No point rewarding PSG for coming second.
  • Did anyone want Chelsea to win?
  • Chelsea fans probably.
  • Away goals are utterly ridiculous. Anyone who seriously thinks the advantage of playing at home means that a score draw counts as a loss is insane. Both these games were draws, but one team went out because they didn't have to get on the Eurostar. It completely removes the competitive element; which team was better? Neither. Oh. PSG go through.

What?
  • Sponsored links:

• This is the most ridiculous example of away goals rule
  • Away goals are utterly ridiculous. Anyone who seriously thinks the advantage of playing at home means that a score draw counts as a loss is insane. Both these games were draws, but one team went out because they didn't have to get on the Eurostar. It completely removes the competitive element; which team was better? Neither. Oh. PSG go through.

What?

PSG. To play like they did with 10 men at Shitford Bridge was quality.
  • IA said:

This is the most ridiculous example of away goals rule

LOL don't remember seeing that before.

What?

Since when do we award wins to teams for trying hard? We didn't get the win for turning it around against Cardiff on Boxing Day and we really deserved it there. But we didn't score more goals than them so we didn't get it. I'm no Chelsea fan and I still haven't forgiven them for Parker (never forget) but it's frustrating to see such an illogical rule deciding a huge competition
  • I know it was slightly different but Chelsea went through on away goals last year against PSG. Swings and roundabouts come to mind.

What?

Since when do we award wins to teams for trying hard? We didn't get the win for turning it around against Cardiff on Boxing Day and we really deserved it there. But we didn't score more goals than them so we didn't get it. I'm no Chelsea fan and I still haven't forgiven them for Parker (never forget) but it's frustrating to see such an illogical rule deciding a huge competition
    I'm not disputing that, I just highlighted that you said which team was better and it was PSG. They deserved to win and especially with 10 men they were the better team. The rule is bollocks yes. There are too many nonsense rules these days to comprehend.
  • Am I the only one who thinks the away goal rule should not count in extra time it's unfair on the home team as the away team have an additional 30 minutes to score goals.

I'm always moaning about this one. In the League Cup they don't count away goals until AFTER extra time! It's utterly ludicrous. They don't count in the play offs though I think.
  • To go out on away goals is always bit gutting but its Chelsea so it dont matter.
    I'm fed up with their gamesmanship (cheating) and their Johnny big potato supporters who cant remember or choose to ignore what they were or would be without the money that has distorted and ruined football.
  • I think the away goals rule is flawed, like a lot of rules, but it's more annoying to me that this is only being discussed because Chelsea are on the wrong end of it.
    So what? Loads of other teams have suffered because of this and plenty of British teams have gone through in the past. I don't remember many complaints then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well today if Shakhtar Donetsk hadn't imploded and conceded a penalty in the 3rd minute (earliest red card in champions league history as well), they would have just needed a 1-1 draw or better to go through. With the 7-0 thumping we all know who was the better team, but if the 3rd minute sending off hadn't happened and they had gotten the 1-1 draw, I'd have been hotter than Death Valley in July if I was a Bayern fan. There are better ways to settle a tied aggregate. Shit just send them to penalties. Rule is awful
  • edited March 2015
    Rossman92 said:

Well today if Shakhtar Donetsk hadn't imploded and conceded a penalty in the 3rd minute (earliest red card in champions league history as well), they would have just needed a 1-1 draw or better to go through. With the 7-0 thumping we all know who was the better team, but if the 3rd minute sending off hadn't happened and they had gotten the 1-1 draw, I'd have been hotter than Death Valley in July if I was a Bayern fan. There are better ways to settle a tied aggregate. Shit just send them to penalties. Rule is awful

Agreed. Except:
    a) That didn't happen though did it?
    b) But if we're doing 'what ifs' - What if you were a Shakhtar fan?
    also
    c) Sometimes the underdog scrapes through against a vastly superior team, which is a good thing isn't it?

Anyway, whenever any team goes out on away goals, obviously that team's supporters won't be happy about it. The supporters of the winning team? Not so bothered. But because Chelsea go out, suddenly everyone is up in arms about it.
    I'm not saying it's the best solution, (in fact changes to the rule have been gently suggested in the past), just that if it was such a shit rule, why haven't we all been loudly campaigning to get rid of it since 1965?

I do think it's flawed, but we all know the rules and so do all the players and managers. It's the same for everyone. Get over it.
  • edited March 2015
    Is it fair that Chelsea had an extra 30 mins at home to score a goal and with an extra man?
  • The rationale is to invite the visiting team to attack.

In reality who knows what effect it has.

Considering how difficult a goal is to get, I think the away goals rule in ET is pretty harsh. If the away team score a goal it makes it near impossible for the home team to get back in it.

Perhaps in et if it is drawn it should be given to the team that finished higher in the group phase?

Or perhaps whatever team doesn't have Diego Costa in it? I'd support that too.
  • I think the away goals rule is flawed, like a lot of rules, but it's more annoying to me that this is only being discussed because Chelsea are on the wrong end of it.
    So what? Loads of other teams have suffered because of this and plenty of British teams have gone through in the past. I don't remember many complaints then.

This. Rule has been in place for decades. Why are Chelsea loving media moaning now?
  • Souness was good value though
  • Diddums to the Blue Klux Klan
  • Did anyone want Chelsea to win?

I did.
  • I tend to favour the Golden Goal to decide the result in extra time.
  • Rossman92 said:

Well today if Shakhtar Donetsk hadn't imploded and conceded a penalty in the 3rd minute (earliest red card in champions league history as well), they would have just needed a 1-1 draw or better to go through. With the 7-0 thumping we all know who was the better team, but if the 3rd minute sending off hadn't happened and they had gotten the 1-1 draw, I'd have been hotter than Death Valley in July if I was a Bayern fan. There are better ways to settle a tied aggregate. Shit just send them to penalties. Rule is awful

Agreed. Except:
    a) That didn't happen though did it?
    b) But if we're doing 'what ifs' - What if you were a Shakhtar fan?
    also
    c) Sometimes the underdog scrapes through against a vastly superior team, which is a good thing isn't it?

Anyway, whenever any team goes out on away goals, obviously that team's supporters won't be happy about it. The supporters of the winning team? Not so bothered. But because Chelsea go out, suddenly everyone is up in arms about it.
    I'm not saying it's the best solution, (in fact changes to the rule have been gently suggested in the past), just that if it was such a shit rule, why haven't we all been loudly campaigning to get rid of it since 1965?

I do think it's flawed, but we all know the rules and so do all the players and managers. It's the same for everyone. Get over it.
    Well, no. If something is flawed and damaging the game you don't just get over it, you try and get it fixed. I was certainly complaining about the away goal before this match and the media have picked up on it as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/mar/13/the-question-football-away-goals

I think what's actually happening is that a lot more people watched this game because an English team were involved so it's generated more discussion, which is normal. The only reason it seems like it's only being discussed now is because of anti-Chelsea bias rather than the other way around. Just scroll up this page for evidence