Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Season Tickets for next season

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
If we do not go up.

What effect on season tickets sales will it have hopefully some plastics may go

Also to keep fans would the club offer the same as this season to keep people.

If we go up via play off would the club offer a discount to current season ticket holders as despite not getting automatic place, we are still up and still get the premiership money.

Thoughts?

Comments

• If we go up through the play offs, we'll get the freebie offer.

If we don't go up, i expect them to continue the offer again for next season.

I also expect a number of other teams to launch the offer this summer.
  • The free season ticket wasnt based on automatic promotion, it was based on promotion at the first attempt, so we still get in play offs or not.
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]hopefully some plastics may go

can I ask why you see this as a good thing?

they may not voice thier support as much as many on here or have been going as long but their money is as good as anyone elses. Today's plastic could turn into tomorrow's ultra given a few seasons.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]If we go up through the play offs, we'll get the freebie offer.

If we don't go up, i expect them to continue the offer again for next season.

I also expect a number of other teams to launch the offer this summer.

Not sure i agree that it will be offered again. Its a fairly generous offer and with the new impetus of money I'm not sure I would like to have put £Xm into the club and then effectively give away £5m of its money. I assume that those who put the funds in are those that will make the decision. Added to the amount of conspiracy theorists (or arseholes) who think the club are actually stopping themselves getting promoted on purpose I'm sure they will be a long debate about it.
  • [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]hopefully some plastics may go

can I ask why you see this as a good thing?

they may not voice thier support as much as many on here or have been going as long but their money is as good as anyone elses. Today's plastic could turn into tomorrow's ultra given a few seasons.
    Have to agree. They are bums on seats and money in the pocket in the end. If people don't go to away games and/or don;t sing for 90 minutes i think it is harsh to judge them as anything other than supporters.

That being said, if we do fail to go up and ST's need to be bought it may show how many people genuinely care. We'll see.
  • Anyone who believes the club are deliberately not getting themselves promoted need to go and jump off the nearest cliff, it makes no financial sense at all.

Offering the same deal again would in fact be very, very smart, it will garuntee the club £3-4m whilst we are still in the fizzy pop league and really need the money, ok, so upon promotion the club will lose £3-4m but it won't be as important as the TV money will be in. Yes the club would be worse off, but it gets the money in when it's most needed.
  • I thought at the shareholders AGM Murray said it wouldnt be extended next year if we didnt go up. Maybe others who were there or Henry could confirm.
  • I agree with Barts,if we dont go up i think our crowds will drop to between 17-15k per game.That is quite a fall the season ticket offer may help us sustian our current crowds.The extra money on offer plus the increased parachute payments far outweigh the free season tickets on offer.
  • While i like the money Plastics bring to the club

They are just so fecking annoying as they are clueless to the club and its history etc etc blah blah blah and so depressing to listen to.

besides that i love them all
  • edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]

Not sure i agree that it will be offered again. Its a fairly generous offer and with the new impetus of money I'm not sure I would like to have put £Xm into the club and then effectively give away £5m of its money. I assume that those who put the funds in are those that will make the decision. Added to the amount of conspiracy theorists (or arseholes) who think the club are actually stopping themselves getting promoted on purpose I'm sure they will be a long debate about it.
    [/cite]

Brunello,

I can certainly see that from an investor point of view. But i really don't think they have much choice, and long-term implications probably weren't full considered 9-nine months ago when the offer was made.

Of course it will boil down to two factors:

1. The financial position of the club if we don't go up.

How desperate will they be for short-term cash ? how can they 'sell' to the supporters to get them to renew ?

What possible other offers could work to improve short-term cash ? A three-year season ticket, paid upfront with no increase in price on promotion ? A 'tracker' season ticket, where a cash fee paid now will lead to a percentage-discounted season ticket for a set number of years ?

2. How strong do they believe the current season-ticket holders committment is to renewing on no promotion ? Could the club afford not just the income loss, but the reputational damage a chunky fall in season ticket sales would bring ? There is no guarantee that when people give up a season ticket, they will still buy match tickets on a regular basis. As we have seen with away support, once people are out the habit, its hard getting them back into it on anything more than an ad-hoc basis.

Is our support-base as a whole as committed to the club as those at other clubs ?

Would falling crowds give the perception of a club on a downward spiral, rather than one seeking to grow stronger ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2008
    I expect the cash injection has alleviated short term cash flow problems. I am not sure of the statement you make about not having a choice is right although I do
    agree with most of your other assumptions but for those that think it is not finacially viable I disagree. If we lost 5000 tickets in the Championship but sold 15000 rather than given them away in the premiership which one would bring the most money in? As I said the cash injection once alleviating the short term problems actually opens up the option of not renewing the offer. I suppose deep down I think they will it is not a foregone conclusion and not such a one sided argument as you and others put.
  • Henry, if you're still involved, how about proposing a Saturday or weekend season? We live in Berkshire and cannot get to midweek matches without taking 1/2 day leave. This makes a season unviable.
  • The bit about not having a choice, was related to how they see the strength and comittment of the support base, if the conclusion was less than positive.

I suppose a lot of it will depend on the run in the first team have into the end of the season, as i genuinely think that will have a big impact on sentiment of the less comitted fans.
  • edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Henry, if you're still involved, how about proposing a Saturday or weekend season? We live in Berkshire and cannot get to midweek matches without taking 1/2 day leave. This makes a season unviable.

I have similar difficulties lving in Sheffield and I have to travel overnight back from midweek games (Saturday 3pm games involve 17-18 hours away from where I live) - though I make up the half a day during the week. I myself will probably not renew my season ticket (though I am not ruling it out as I'd like to be able to) to try and concentrate on other things. Like creating the next generation of addicks supporters in the family line - don't want either set of pigs to get their hands on my future kids.
  • Alot of floating fans bought the season ticket on the free be trip if we go up if we don't go up they won't reknew you will see fans not renewing due to their current Economic climate and then die hard fans like myself who spend a three hour round journy picking and choosing games I forecast season ticket sales will drop to the region of ten to eleven thousand and floating support with away fans on average of an extra four to five thousand.We will not see as many away fans next season as this year we are a must for an away day on most visiting fans day out schedules next season this won't be the case
  • I guess the problem with a 'Saturday' Season Ticket is that the club won't know how many matches will be moved as a result of TV, weather, cup runs etc. If they don't know how many games there will be how can they price it?

I'm sure everyone would be up in arms if their season tickets cost more than going match by match.

Hold on a minute.........

How much did I pay for my S.T. last year?
  • How about some super dooper deals for long term STs?

5/10 year deals, fixed prices, regardless of what division we're in, not all payable at once or by signing up to a DD, include for 'free' seasons etc etc.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]I thought at the shareholders AGM Murray said it wouldnt be extended next year if we didnt go up. Maybe others who were there or Henry could confirm.

Aye. I'm 99 per cent sure he said that.
  • No decision has been taken on this.
  • I think if we dont go up and the offer is not rolled over it may be perceived by some as an empty gesture which cost the Club nothing.

There is always a danger in creating a precedent like this one that expectations follow.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think most people understand that the basis of the offer was to assist the club at a time when its income shrank dramatically. The fact that it would have cost the club nothing is neither here nor there, since the risk that it would was obviously real. There may be some silly people who think it gives the club an incentive not to go up, but anyone who looks at the numbers would know that argument is ridiculous.

In fact, the offer would be better value to the club in year two than in year one, because it has already banked the extra revenue from year one at no cost and now gets more extra revenue in year two. Over time that incremental income would exceed the cost of an eventual payout, although I accept the marginal benefit might fall year on year.

The point about expectations is a reasonable one. But so what if the case for the offer remains robust?
  • Sounds like you're putting up a good argment in favour of rolling it over, Airman Brown (if needs be, of course).

It would certainly play a part in our decision-making, as it did last year. It's quite a commitment to buy two season tickets, knowing that we will only get to about half the home games (from Scotland) - in the Prem it was a given, as then we knew we had seats at whichever matches it suited us to go to, even if the ground was sold out. Also when we couldn't make it, there were often other takers for the tickets anyway. That's all a bit different now, and the main reason currently in favour of keeping them is simply that they are good seats (and lucky ones so far this season). Plus, of course, our contribution to club coffers, but it's not always that easy to be generous just for the sake of it!
  • I think that what was intended has been achieved. A substantial fall in season ticket sales and crowd atmosphere (!!!) has been averted.

But next year the prospect of a paying Championship ticket as opposed to free Prem will I think lead to an even greater fall in season ticket sales. That may not be such a problem as last year but I think to maintain a push for promotion next year a further incentive/offer may be needed.
  • Bumped for Mr. Large
  • From the Sinking Thread...

I honestly think the fact they offered it once was good enough, if I felt that us as fans had played our part this season then maybe we could expect it again. But without going over old stuff I really think we've been poor and don't deserve the deal. I'll always get a season ticket with or without free deals etc.
  • I thgink that the deal should be changed, I always thought it was too rich, I am sure most, if not all would have signed up if it had been a half price offer on the Prem. ST. How about, if we don't go up, we'll refund half your season ticket, if you buy before 31st May?
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I thgink that the deal should be changed, I always thought it was too rich, I am sure most, if not all would have signed up if it had been a half price offer on the Prem. ST. How about, if we don't go up, we'll refund half your season ticket, if you buy before 31st May?
    Surly that should be if we DO go up!
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I thgink that the deal should be changed, I always thought it was too rich, I am sure most, if not all would have signed up if it had been a half price offer on the Prem. ST. How about, if we don't go up, we'll refund half your season ticket, if you buy before 31st May?
    Surly that should be if we DO go up!

I was hoping to get my money back :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Bumped for Mr. Large

sorry, was in OZ when previously discussed !!!
  • edited April 2008
    The free ST offer aside I think one of the other issues they need to address is the ST versus match day pricing.

I think prices in the East and West stands ranged from £500 to £525 this season (I'm pretty sure my ones were £500) while match day prices have generally been £20 - although I believe Preston was £15 and Palarse £25 which even out anyway.

On that basis 23 games at £20 avg is £460! So cheaper to go on a match by match basis rather pay in advance for ST. In addition I'm sure there are many ST holders who can't get to every home game because of work and holiday commitments etc who then miss games that they have paid for. (Not the case if you know you can't go and don't buy match day tickets)

In the Premier League there was obviously a pressure on seating availability hence the desire to keep better seats (or indeed get one for some games) but that is increasingly not the case in the Championship where attendance is very likely to fall still further after the current campaign.

I've had STs since Upton Park but I'm seriously considering buying on a match day basis for most games with the advantage (for me) of seeing games from different viewpoints around the ground as well as making a saving on the overall price plus the games that are missed by me or others (if pricing remains on a similar basis).