Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pretty clear priorities for next year

From my perspective, if we really want push on to a playoff spot next year, RD needs to focus on:

High Priority
1. Hold onto JBG and Bulot (new deal for JBG, another loan for Bulot)
2. Sign a creative forward thinking central midfielder to pair with Cousins. I like Buyens/ Diarra/JJ but we are clearly missing the presence in the middle who can increase our possession percentages and also push forward to add some creativity to the attack.
3. Sign a new central defender to pair with Gomez.

Other priorities ( while these would be nice, given our budget constraints, are much less likely)
1. Sign a traditional no 9 to add depth at forward.
2. Upgrade left back. Fox has really improved this year but if we are completely honest, this has been one of our weaker positions on the squad

The question is how restrictive is our budget going to be. As much as we might like to resign TBH, Eagles, RJ as depth, we may need to rely on some upcoming cheap homegrown players as reserves in order to afford to upgrade our starters. There also is a chance that RD might have to sell some fan favorites (I.e. Wiggins, Gomez?) in order to fund the improvements.

Comments

• Church is surely going to be released so for me we need to sign 2 strikers. Will make a huge difference compared to what we have now.
  • edited April 2015
    MY IDEAL SUMMER WINDOW:

Need a new goalkeeper as I'm not a fan of Etheridge or Dmitrovic. I think Pope needs a League One season, I don't want him bench warming.

Need to look at finding suitable defensive partners for Gomez. Sell on Bikey as Luzon clearly isn't a fan and either sign up TBH and Johnson (the experience will be invaluable to Joe) or if not sign serious experienced replacements.

Think both full back positions are covered: Solly and Gomez on one side with Wiggins and Fox on the other. A two footed full back that can cover both sides is desirable rather than a necessity.

Sign Gudmundsson on a 10 year contract and bring in Bulot permanently. Mould the centre around Cousins, make an offer to Buyens and see if he takes it. Look for a Coquelin-lite as well as a central creative force for times when we can't break teams down on the wings.

Two strikers: Igor is deceptively good in the air but we need another targetman in the Kermorgant mould. A nippy striker who stretches defences would be useful. Hopefully KAG or Ansah can provide that if the budget doesn't stretch that far!!
  • Sign some bloke called Kermorgant, who is rejected by Bmouth as surplus to Prem.
    Also, sign that bloke Austin from today.
  • disagree signing a NEW CB is priority
    getting TBH to sign a new contract is a must for me

TBH and Gomez
    Cousins and Buyens

with Diarra as cover for CB and CM
  • I really hope we go for top six next season.
  • Alex Pritchard would be perfect but given his strong season, it wouldn't surprise me if some lower tier PL squads will look for him on loan or permanent
  • Sponsored links:

• Sign Gudmundsson on a 10 year contract...

This
  • Sign some bloke called Kermorgant, who is rejected by Bmouth as surplus to Prem.

He was bloody good
  • We need 2 new centre backs as tbh is shocking, once again Gomez showed tbh how to play football today. 1 left back, 2 strikers and 2/3 midfielders. But we will have to wait and see as there is some dead wood in our team that needs to leave. But as I back Roland from day one(and got slagged off for it) I believe he will do the right things on and off the pitch this summer.
  • Vetokele won the penalty today but dare I say it, we need another forward. For me he's been abysmal second half of the season. He should be our back up forward next season if we want to challenge
  • Clear priorities for who? What is RD's plans and hopes for us?
  • cabbles said:

Vetokele won the penalty today but dare I say it, we need another forward. For me he's been abysmal second half of the season. He should be our back up forward next season if we want to challenge

I wouldn't say abysmal myself but I agree that we need a striker who works really well together with Watt.
    For some reason they seem to me like they don't gel that well.

Saying that though, I bet at least 80% of the other championship sides are currently saying the same thing, "we need a new striker". There aren't too many decent ones around and we have two pretty good ones on our hands. I reckon the forwards we sign over summer are going to be back-ups/replacements for church.
  • I obviously hope we kick on from here. However,I think this summer we will find out what RD's real intentions are for us! In order to maintain Charlton as a viable shop window RD couldn't afford relegation - hence the transfer activity last summer and mid season. However we now have a number of players who have increased in value since joining: JBG, IV, TWWW, Hendo etc . Throw in Gomez and Buyens (who is a network player) and it's starting to look tempting. Wouldn't be surprised if we start to see these players offloaded and replaced in some sort of football "moneyball" experiment ........hope I'm wrong but didn't he sell off a large part of a championship winning SL side a few years back?

Agree with this. Best player on the pitch for the first hour.
  • I obviously hope we kick on from here. However,I think this summer we will find out what RD's real intentions are for us! In order to maintain Charlton as a viable shop window RD couldn't afford relegation - hence the transfer activity last summer and mid season. However we now have a number of players who have increased in value since joining: JBG, IV, TWWW, Hendo etc . Throw in Gomez and Buyens (who is a network player) and it's starting to look tempting. Wouldn't be surprised if we start to see these players offloaded and replaced in some sort of football "moneyball" experiment ........hope I'm wrong but didn't he sell off a large part of a championship winning SL side a few years back?

Last summer, but that can only happen here if big enough offer actually come in.
  • Disagree about fox, the lad is getting better and better. He also has a very decent left foot which sometimes goes unnoticed.

I also disagree about the no.9 signing I actually think that is a very high priority if we are, like you say, going to compete at the next level of this division. We can't rely on just watt and igor up front.

Agree with the rest :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Was thinking the same thing about next season when watching today's match, wondering how many would still be here and in next seasons team.

I have no idea what RD's ambitions are for next season, we have a decent first 11, but not a decent squad if we want to compete at the top end of the table.

Saying that I wouldn't be surprised if a new manager was brought in, in the summer, or if we get off to a slow start next season.
  • cabbles said:

Vetokele won the penalty today but dare I say it, we need another forward. For me he's been abysmal second half of the season. He should be our back up forward next season if we want to challenge

I wouldn't say abysmal myself but I agree that we need a striker who works really well together with Watt.
    For some reason they seem to me like they don't gel that well.

Saying that though, I bet at least 80% of the other championship sides are currently saying the same thing, "we need a new striker". There aren't too many decent ones around and we have two pretty good ones on our hands. I reckon the forwards we sign over summer are going to be back-ups/replacements for church.
    Perhaps a tad harsh but I just think he's completely gone off the boil. I know he's had the injury, but if that's still there then why is he playing when we've got nothing to play for. When watt put him through at the start of the 2nd half and he couldn't even hit the target. For me if he carries on like that then he shouldn't be first choice next season and we should look for someone else
  • Vetokele is not and hasn't been for a while the unplayable striker he was in the early part of the season
    Im not sure his value will have increased due to his massive drop in form in the second half of the season
    Let's hope he can get his mojo back because he was a sight to behold earlier on this season
  • Big close season coming up for Igor. Obviously has the ability to be a very good championship striker. He's proved that. What we don't know is if his undoubted loss of form was purely down to playing when not fit and in a team lacking in confidence or if it's more like his early success was never going to be consistently shown.

In my opinion I think the lad needs to rest, get fully fit and get a full pre season under his belt. A fully fit, confident Igor will I believe prove very effective again.

Not totally convinced that Watt and him are the perfect partnership. I think we need a new strike partner for both of them. Neither of Watt or Vetekole are that hold up player every team needs.
  • Priorities?

We need to build up our player ratings on FIFA. Joe Gomez's in particular is shocking.

Oh, and of course we need to increase our squad value on transfermarket.com
  • 1. Getting decking done
    2. Finish the bathroom once an for all
    3. Get down SE7 for a beer with the chaps, been too long
  • Brogib. Only no 3 should be a priority.
  • Good post, but don't agree re left back.
    Surely Fox & Wiggins have that covered at this level.

I'd sell one if we can get £500k+ as we have THD, Daniel (both with senior experience) Archie Edwards and Lennon can play there.
  • Get Alex Bradley Pritchard

• Rudy Austin.
    Matt smith
    Yoni Buyens
    Darren Bent