Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton and the Gallipoli campaign on the BBC

Charlton Athletic museum Trustee Clive Harris (SE7toSG3 to those on here) is an expert on more than just the Addicks.

He's also an authority on the Gallipoli campaign of 1915 and often leads walking tours of the battlefields and give talks on the matter.

Clive is too modest to say so I'll do it instead.

He'll be on the BBC with Dan Snow on Saturday as part of the centenary commemorations http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/anniversary-of-gallipoli

He might be on for 2 minutes or 2 hours but I'm laying even money he manages to squeeze a mention of Charlton in there somewhere.

Good luck pal.

Comments

• Nice one Clive
  • Good luck Clive - The 2016 Gallipoli fund is coming along nicely!
  • I will look out for you Clive

• Top man !!
  • Well done and good luck Clive.
  • That is very cool
  • Look forward to watching that. Good luck Clive.
  • Great stuff, Clive !
  • Thought Gallipoli was one of Leeds sick note players!

Good luck Clive
  • Thanks for the heads up, Ben.

The whole Gallipoli campaign continues to fascinate me. So I am well up for this!
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck today Clive.
  • Well done Clive
  • I'm off to Brum but am recording the programme and will watch with my cuppa tomorrow morning. Good luck Clive. Try to get a mention of the Addicks in!
  • He's a mine of information that Clive !
  • Did he get on much? Didn't see any of the coverage.
  • He did - for the whole broadcast. He was basically Dan's sidekick and 'expert' throughout the day. He told me it was a great day but absolutely chaotic behind the scenes.

No mention of Charlton though - I suppose he wants more of the same from the Beeb over the next four years. We've got Centenaries for Loos coming up in September, Gallipoli evacuation in December with Verdun in Feb and the build up to The Somme next July.

That lot should keep him busy.
  • Did very well on the expert commentary.
  • Don't forget Clive is giving a talk in the Museum on Tuesday evening about the early years of Charlton....from 1905 up to the FA Cup run of 1923. It will start at 7.30 and all are welcome. The cost is £10 or £5 to Friends of the Museum. Email cafchistorian@gmail.com to reserve your place. It will be a fascinating evening.
  • May have to book more security now he's a TV star.

Quick quiz. What's the link between Gallipoli and Charlton home games?

Shrapnel Valley cemetery?
  • Sponsored links:

No, not that but good knowledge
  • edited April 2015

May have to book more security now he's a TV star.

Lovely spot Raith, Major Hugh Quinn who gave his life and his name to Quinns Post is buried in there.

Thanks everyone for the messages of support and kind words, it was quite frantic behind the scenes but I think we were able present the day with dignity.

We tried to mention the multitude of nations that took part in the Campaign, not just our Anzac cousins that most people think of.

I will only consider it a real success if I make it Gogglebox next friday!

Can I answer the question Ben, whats the prize?

• The prize is a free evening out in the museum. This must be used by tomorrow night though
  • Tell them the answer but let's see if they can work out the link.
  • edited April 2015
    It's a tenuous link but 'Red Red Robin'
  • I was searching for this tenuous link on the net when I began to get the nods. I woke up with a start and blurted out “come on old son, wakey, wakey.”

… Still couldn’t get it though.

• The Turkish for red robin is mehmetcik (co-incidentally the nickname of one of the protagonists in Louis de Berniere's remarkable book Birds Without Wings). As in Dave Mehmet ?
  • Bill Cotton Snr saw action at Gallipoli. Mentioned by Clive during his talk at Charlton House a few weeks back. One of at least a dozen memorable facts from that afternoon but the highlight, for me, was being allowed during the break to look through the oldest surviving Board Minutes book and the entry about the Directors passing a motion not to have any dealings with Millwall Athletic. After watching the beamback, I wished we'd stuck to our guns on that one and not reversed the motion, on legal advice, a few weeks later as is also recorded.

The other army theme was that Clive insists our real, original rivals are the Royal Army Ordnance Corps who we played a number of times in our formative years and his idea for a game between us and their modern equivalent.

We wouldn't be the first set of fans to do it when their main rivals (and those who think it's Palace are plain wrong) are in a lower division but I'm all for adding to their pain by announcing that, once Rotherham have sealed their fate, we are officially ending our rivalry with the spanners due to them becoming an irrelevance and replacing them with RAOC.

Mind you, if it's true that the trouble, on and off the pitch, during our games against them made a modern day trip to the The New Den look like a pre-season friendly against Welling then maybe not!

• Remember Clive will be delivering his talk on the early years tonight at the museum.

Open from 7.00, talk starts at 7.30.

£5 members/£10 non-members.