Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

U18s set for title (ed. Champions)

Comments

• Edwards was my MOM, but I thought Regan wasn't the same after that dreadful tackle on him, which partly explains why Brentford had the midfield second half. The back 4 were terrific though, and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this team whenever I've seen them.
  • Addick90 said:

Who was number 5 then? Was surprised he was captain when I've heard our rb has been skipper last few games? Thought both centre backs played very well, konsa stand out for me.
    Edwards played awesome again, what a prospect, definitely in the solly mould.

It was Sevdar Bokciu
  • seth plum said:

Addick90 said:

Who was number 5 then? Was surprised he was captain when I've heard our rb has been skipper last few games? Thought both centre backs played very well, konsa stand out for me.
    Edwards played awesome again, what a prospect, definitely in the solly mould.

It was Sevdar Bokciu
    Saw him play at SL at the back end of the season. Thought he did very well and was SO "made up" at the final whistle.

Great to see lots of Addicks there tonight and to meet another Lifer...Stig !

We nearly didn't make it after leaving Dartford at 3.30....Bad accident on Blackheath meant a detour through Greenwich and were only in New Cross at 5.30. It didn't get much better but we finally parked up just after 7pm and almost ran to the ground alongside Terrell Thomas who had problems parking in the area. So, the only goal was missed but the end result was all that mattered.

Well done all the lads and their management team !

Onwards & upwards!

• Interesting game. We scored early on (can't comment on the goal as I was bust fiddling with my camera at the time), they pressed for the rest of the match. Early on we looked threatening up front, I don't think they liked our pace. The longer it went on though the more possession they had and increasingly we we became less and less threatening. I reckon the about 80% of the second half was played in the area between half way line and the edge of our box. I think we were playing 4-4-2, but at times it looked like 8-0-2 as there was so little a gap between out defence and midfield with everyone pushed back behind the ball. They passed it around very nicely, but didn't look like scoring until the last 15 minutes when they had three close shots, one of them an absolute screamer. We held out though, and it was great to see the lads pick up the trophy.

Good meeting Fanny Fanackapan & Soapbox Sam. Very nice people.

Only disappointment for me was that I though it would be a rare opportunity to do all four of the corner pubs in one trip. I visited three of them but the last one, The Royal Oak, was closed.

I've got a few pictures that I'll post over the next day or so.
  • edited May 2015
    10 wins in a row. 24 scored 6 Against. Not too shabby !

We defended too deep 2nd half and relied on them missing a few chances.
    Just like watching the 1st team under Peeters.

Archie Edwards is still progressing and has grown a couple of inches since i last saw him play.
    The 3 forwards were very good 1st half with powerful runs and good lay offs.
    But Lookman,Umerah, and Hanlan all struggled 2nd half and made me wonder is their fitness issues in all our teams ?

The first time i had seen Lapsie play and was impressed with his fitness and the simple passes he plays, also 16 year old Sam Bone had a strong 1st half but a bit off the pace 2nd half as we did the retreating act.
    Konsa and Bokciu were solid centre backs.
    Barnes just seem to boot the ball forward without finding a target
    and charlie-cook ,i need to see again to make a judgement.
    Mitov did a couple of crazy things tonight in goal but got away with it and seems quite a character.

as most of these lads are 16,17 or 18 and the best two U18
    are Joe Gomez and KAG.

Lets hope the good ones stay and play in the 1st team someday with Joe.

Thou the U21 will be the next step up.

• The kids must've been nervous which resulted in them sitting deep, natural reaction to hold what you have, not only did they win, they learnt a valuable lesson in managing excitement, fear and nerves to still come out victorious is a great bedding for them

Congrats all involved
  • For me, are best player on the night was the number 3 Archie Edwards. That was a master class in defending, he was up against avery good winger and had him in his pocket most of the game. Must say Brentford are a classy outfit, no wonder they beat us twice in the league games.
  • Saw Edwards put in a wicked cross 2nd half.

Only saw the 2nd half and while I'll admit it didn't look particularly impressive, there seemed to be a lot of exhausted players in need of a summer break.
  • We really do have a talented crop of youngsters, both at u18 & development squad level. One of the biggest tests for this new regime will be how they nurture them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wonder where they got the 656 attendance figure from? We just strolled in through the main gate. Was there a man with a clicker? Good game up against it in the second half but the defence as a unit did very well.
  • Well done to the Yoof. They have had a great will to win, togetherness and no little skill, all Season. I have seen us play better, but that doesn't matter as our determination pulled us through against a good Brentford team.
  • cafcfan said:

Wonder where they got the 656 attendance figure from? We just strolled in through the main gate. Was there a man with a clicker? Good game up against it in the second half but the defence as a unit did very well.

I wondered that. There was a guy at the top of the stairs with a clipboard, I wonder if he was doing 5 bar gates. I did wander up where he was; he told me that area was for Charlton directors only and asked if I was one (I was wearing a whistle and my Charlton tie). I wonder what would have happened if I'd said yes?
  • Since we won National League Two last night do we go into League One next season or does it not work like that ?
  • AFKA we bossed the first half and played well, Brentford were all about pressure second half as they chased the game, but all the best moments, the best footballing moments in the match, came from us. Learning to win is also a developmental skill.
  • Edwards was my MOM, but I thought Regan wasn't the same after that dreadful tackle on him, which partly explains why Brentford had the midfield second half. The back 4 were terrific though, and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this team whenever I've seen them.

Edwards - really?

Zane Westbrook (Brentford) was MOM by a country mile, head and shoulders above everyone else!
  • Sorry Essex disagree, even though Westbrook played well, as did Bradley Clayton and Herson Rodrigues-Alves for Brentford, the best player on the pitch was Charltons Ezri Konsa, and Lapslie and Hanlan were decent too.
    There were no country miles between the two teams as far as I could see.
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 2m2 minutes ago
    U18 starting XI: Mitov; Barnes, Edwards, Yao, Konsa; Charles-Cook, Bone, Lapslie; Hanlan, Umerah, Lookman. #cafc #MadeInCharlton

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 40s40 seconds ago
    Subs: Beeney, Bokciu, Carey, Maloney, Millar. #cafc #MadeInCharlton

Where's KAG?

Can someone confirm who is better KAG or Umerah?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 2m2 minutes ago
    U18 starting XI: Mitov; Barnes, Edwards, Yao, Konsa; Charles-Cook, Bone, Lapslie; Hanlan, Umerah, Lookman. #cafc #MadeInCharlton

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 40s40 seconds ago
    Subs: Beeney, Bokciu, Carey, Maloney, Millar. #cafc #MadeInCharlton

Where's KAG?

Can someone confirm who is better KAG or Umerah?
    From watching the u18's a couple of times recently and the development squad against Gillingham where KAG & Umerah started together upfront against a basically senior squad I'd say Umerah has incredible raw talent but KAG seems further ahead in his development, both have potential to be first teamers at Championship level.

Lookman & Hanlan look good prospects upfront too.
  • edited May 2015
    Essex_Al said:

Edwards was my MOM, but I thought Regan wasn't the same after that dreadful tackle on him, which partly explains why Brentford had the midfield second half. The back 4 were terrific though, and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this team whenever I've seen them.

Edwards - really?

Zane Westbrook (Brentford) was MOM by a country mile, head and shoulders above everyone else!
    Al, a few people said that but i watched this game only from the CAFC point of view and only noticed 11 Brentford shirts as i was watching the movement off the ball from our lads. The fact that it was a final and the bees had done the double over us in the league may of affected the tactics.

Winning 10 games in a row is a great achievement, and i would say this team can play beautiful football as well as winning ugly.

Jose Mourinho has endorsed this Philosophy and now we need to update Sparrows lane and become a big player in academy football.

• Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

Sorry Essex disagree, even though Westbrook played well, as did Bradley Clayton and Herson Rodrigues-Alves for Brentford, the best player on the pitch was Charltons Ezri Konsa, and Lapslie and Hanlan were decent too.
    There were no country miles between the two teams as far as I could see.

Fair enough Seth, we all see games differently.

I don't want to run the lads down because they have been exceptional all season and finished with a great run of results, but I was very dissapointed with them last night and felt we were extremely lucky to survive the second half onslaught that Brentford threw at us. But I do stand by my comment with regards Westbrook, I thought he was exceptional.
  • Not to take anything away from Westbrook, but after Charles-Cook was brutally taken out he wasn't the same player, which helped Brentford's midfield dominance.
  • I didn't follow the reasoning as to why we were so far behind in our season, having 3 games to play after Brentford finished. Perhaps those last few games just took their toll in the final. Good to see the grit & determination to hang on and defend resolutely. Can't wait to see what we can do when the Academy gets the Cat 1 status that the players & club deserve.
  • Enjoyed this. First time I've seen the U18s this season. Impressed with Konsa - looked very assured at the back and confident on the ball. Edwards was good at LB too. Lookman and Umerah looked decent when we broke forward as well.

Like the senior team, did all they could to secure a 1-1 draw. Invited plenty of Brentford pressure second half but in the end had to settle for a 1-0 win...
  • Yes, they have developing to do but topped their league. The forwards looked very dangerous early on but passed up some great chances to put team mates in for one on ones in the second. But they have shown they are the best team in their league and I'm sure a few will go on to make the first team in a couple of seasons.
  • Am I right in thinking that Edwards is a right back?? We need someone who can be back up to solly and so we can rest him if we need to.. If we have a youth player to fill that gap it will mean we don't have to bring someone in...
  • Am I right in thinking that Edwards is a right back?? We need someone who can be back up to solly and so we can rest him if we need to.. If we have a youth player to fill that gap it will mean we don't have to bring someone in...

No Canters, he's a Left back, to go with Fox,Wiggins and Holmes-Dennis

• Konsa was good but him and Yao (injured) are an awesome pairing.

Some real promise in that team

No Canters, he's a Left back, to go with Fox,Wiggins and Holmes-Dennis

Oh I see do we happen to have a RB?? More to the point is he any good??