Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

U18s set for title (ed. Champions)

1234568»

Comments

• Here are some photos from the night: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7VFwg4
  • Good pics Stig. ( I like the Archie Edwards swinging left foot cross)

Just us well the Royal Oak was shut !

I went to the Princess Royal first, then the Griffin,which i preferred out the two, where i got chatting to a Brentford fan as well as a CL member who remained incognito ? Then was going to check out the new Inn but the 7PM early KO;
    KO that idea.
    I thought you were a member of the press when i first saw you, always nice to meet another good person from the CL Family.
    After what you said about FF and Myself i now know your a good judge of character as well :blush:
  • What are Aaron Barnes' prospects like as a backup for Right Back
  • Two nice pieces on Charlton player of post match interviews, and I am glad to say that Simon Clark saw it the same way as many of us with regard to Ezri Konsa.
  • edited May 2015
    seth plum said:

Two nice pieces on Charlton player of post match interviews, and I am glad to say that Simon Clark saw it the same way as many of us with regard to Ezri Konsa.

Konsa really impressed me, Seth.

I didn't realize until i got home that his fellow CB was Bokciu, and not Yao.
    This was when reading your report.
    Can you regular watchers of the U18 confirm the potential
    of our 3 CB's.
    I saw 3 U21 games last season and half this young side were involved but others
    were new to me.

The problem for Arron Barnes is that Joe Gomez has set the bar so high now:
    Osbourne, Pyke, And Lawrie wilson will endorse this view.

• A problem for me is that I remember the totally awesome Rufus and Primus centre back pairing years ago at this level, and nothing has ever been quite as good.
    The interviews rightly talk of development continuing, however John Cartwright once reminded me that Pele played in a World Cup final at 17 which reflects well on the progress of Gomez for example.
    However the young breakthroughs tend to be exceptional like Shelvey, Bowyer, Parker and even Konchesky, the more likely route for this present group of youth players is looking more like the Morgan Fox type situation. I do believe this present group has the potential to produce about three credible first teamers, and another half dozen or so who will make a living somewhere in the game.
    AFKA tells us about Yado Mambo's latest gig, and it is always very wise to be cautious when predicting the futures for the young players.
    Saying that, Joe Gomez looks set for a glittering career.
  • Barnes is a decent prospect.
  • @afkabartram @seth plum I missed what was said about Mambo?
  • @Kap10 signed for Hayes and Yeading
  • @Kap10 signed for Hayes and Yeading

Thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Luzon's failure to use KAG despite nothing to play for and a paucity of strikers leave me worried for our youth. Most of these kids won't go out on loan for at least a year, at 18, and will just be playing tepid matches vs sides who present no real challenge. At least full time training will improve them, if only fitness-wise. Only Thomas/Lennon of development squad seem likely to step up with KAG.
  • Konsa and Yao are a superb pairing. Both mobile, good in the air, seem to have a good understanding of each other's game. Very exciting
  • Luzon's failure to use KAG despite nothing to play for and a paucity of strikers leave me worried for our youth. Most of these kids won't go out on loan for at least a year, at 18, and will just be playing tepid matches vs sides who present no real challenge. At least full time training will improve them, if only fitness-wise. Only Thomas/Lennon of development squad seem likely to step up with KAG.

A counter argument could be that despite having senior players available Luzon promoted Gomez into a first choice in his position of preference. Maybe after his early season exploits KAG had gone backwards and he needs a period of retrenchment before going again in the new season.

I'm not worried about the youth, if they are good enough I believe that they will get played, but at the right time. Blooding the youth was originally part of RD's financial model allegedly.
  • Our record of giving youth a chance stands up to scrutiny and must be a selling point for the club in attracting young players. Compare it with a club like QPR for example. When you look at our team, we had half the team coming from our academy in some matches last season, and then players like Jenkinson, Shelvey etc… doing well elsewhere. This suggests there is not much wrong with our academy and winning the U18 title only confirms this. We do have some excellent prospects coming through, which the Brentford commentators attested to. We have to remember that some of the U18s were well under 18 – I think Bone is 16 for example.
  • When I have watched Barnes, I am always left impressed with his forward play and the fact that he is very vocal. A bit like Fox, however, I am less impressed with his defensive play and in particular his positioning.

That is why I like Edwards and THD as they appear to be defenders first, but (THD especially) appear to be improving in their forward play. These players are starting on a similar base as Solly and I find that encouraging.

The best of the U18's from what I have seen are Edwards, Konsa, Bone and Charles-Cook. It goes without saying that Gomez and KAG are added to what is, even by our recent standards, a pretty impressive group.
  • Bone was pretty lost the other night as their midfield moved it quickly and he looked very slow. However that was my doubt about Jonjo and he gets around pretty shatp now he has muscled up. Incidentally, Bees seemed to play much as their 1st squad whereas we were 4-3-3 but Guy prefers 4-4-2.
  • Bone was pretty lost the other night as their midfield moved it quickly and he looked very slow. However that was my doubt about Jonjo and he gets around pretty shatp now he has muscled up. Incidentally, Bees seemed to play much as their 1st squad whereas we were 4-3-3 but Guy prefers 4-4-2.

Bone is a year younger than all of those players around him so his fitness will not be at their level just yet, if you get the extra yard of pace he will be some player

• Thought we did well last season with 5 debuts and another 2 this year, saw the other day Reading have given 11 academy players their first team debut this season.

http://mobile.readingfc.co.uk//news/article/tariqe-fosu-academy-reading-derby-2440916.aspx
  • Sam Bone is an interesting footballer in that his birthday is right at the end of the academic year, August 24th I believe. There have been studies to suggest that sports people born September to February are more prevalent as they would've been the oldest kids in the year, but Sam would've been one of the youngest.
    However it would have helped Sam in terms of his experience being always playing against older kids, his size would have helped him there.
    But I also tend to agree with the above that although he is a big lad, other systems of growth and cardio vascular development and the like are still behind other youth players. Sam is definitely one to keep an eye on, but he is still a very young footballer.
  • Sam's dad is an ex-pro, and currently a coach running his own elite youth scheme in Kent. Some of the lads who've come through his set-up have got contracts with pro clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Here are some photos from the night: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7VFwg4

Were you sitting next to Joe and James? I think I spotted you :)

• I was right up the end with the parents - not sure why I was told to go there. Richard Rufus was near there too.
  • Well done to the boys! Congratulations! Do I see all the players wearing black footy boots? Are they banned from wearing coloured boots ?
  • Banned from coloured boots until they make a first team appearance I believe
  • Was checking the FA contract registration lists for any missing details for FM and it looks like Ezri Konsa must have signed a pro deal on his 17th birthday.

List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/10/2014 and 31/10/2014

Player Name Club Registration Date
    Konsa, Ezri Charlton Athletic 23/10/2014

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/registrations/october-2014.ashx?la=en

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/more/player-registrations
  • Not quite in the Gomez mould (yet) but I'd like to see him play men's football asap. Very impressed!
  • I haven't seen this youth side before but thought that Konsa really stood out in the Brentford game, especially with his distribution in the first half when we were more expansive.

Our big lads up front looked strong and fast in the first half but need to improve their movement (recognising there may have been an element of fatigue). There is some potential in this team, so let's hope the conveyer belt of recent years continues.

Our record of bringing players into the first time has been first class in recent years. I stand to be corrected, but I think it's some years since, for example, Wednesday brought a home grown player through.
  • Konsa looked excellent against Brentford