Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan Pardew - "what I learnt along the way"

In The Times today and sincere apologies if it on here elsewhere (I checked the first 3 pages) or if it upsets anyone.

Basically he didn't know what a mess we were in post relegation and that we lacked ambition....I did type the full (albeit brief) quote earlier but it didn't save.....

Comments

• Anyone got a link to this shambles? What a grade 1 arsehole.

1) We were in as steady position as anyone can be post-relegation with the payments and the Bent / Young money.... reinvest that well and you've got a couple of seasons to get us back and all is a-okay, doing fine thanks
    2) He must've had one of the biggest budgets in the division that first season back down so how can he say we lacked ambition.

You slimy Palace w*nker, shame on me for ever singing your name.
  • There were also some extremely laughable comments on not being given proper media training by Charlton and how he was naive about how to deal with the media while at the club.

As someone who was there I would strongly disagree - he was extremely media savvy and arrived from West Ham with lots of media training.

Bloody hell... We were his 3rd job... If he was coming to Charlton as a brand new Manager then I might agree with him but surely he should have requested media training @ Reading or West Ham!!
  • edited May 2015

There were also some extremely laughable comments on not being given proper media training by Charlton and how he was naive about how to deal with the media while at the club.

As someone who was there I would strongly disagree - he was extremely media savvy and arrived from West Ham with lots of media training.

Bloody hell... We were his 3rd job... If he was coming to Charlton as a brand new Manager then I might agree with him but surely he should have requested media training @ Reading or West Ham!!
    Too busy keeping the skeletons in th closet.
  • He's complete lack of accountability never ceases to astound me
  • Spending millions on rubbish players then filling the team up with rubbish loans might be a good place to start when he puts a career summary into the media training centre....
  • I think it's quite funny that the one blot on his managerial copybook is his time at Charlton. And unless he invents a time machine, there's nowt he can do about it.
  • He really is a prize tit
  • Sponsored links:

• There were also some extremely laughable comments on not being given proper media training by Charlton and how he was naive about how to deal with the media while at the club.

Too buy keeping the skeletons in th closet.
    Seemed to be able to handle that side of the media pretty bloody well didn't he!!
  • He is so arrogant it is unbelieveble. It's not is only blot on his copybook. West Ham in the relegation places despite having a lot of dosh spend; including deciding Tevez and Mascerano weren't good enough - laughable. Also not getting Southampton anywhere near the playoffs despite having biggest budget in division by along way.
  • We can but hope that Palace implode under his influence next season.
  • edited May 2015

There were also some extremely laughable comments on not being given proper media training by Charlton and how he was naive about how to deal with the media while at the club.

NS...not sure whether the story has changed, but this is the on-line version now. The comments about media training/savvy are in the WHam section, not ours.

What he learnt along the way

Reading

“I didn’t really have too many failures. I was building an exciting young team and enjoying coaching and naively thinking that’s what’s going to happen for the rest of my career.”

West Ham United

“It was learning about the media, what the media wanted. I was naive with the media: I had no training and I didn’t understand why people were attacking me. I learnt you couldn’t win all the time. I already had a thick skin but it started to thicken up at West Ham. I learnt about the politics of football and they were one of the reasons I left.”

Charlton Athletic

“I learnt the impact of relegation, which I had inherited. I wasn’t told how big an impact that would be. I was slightly deceived by the agenda.”

Southampton

“I like to think I set some good things in motion. Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain all went on to have great England success. I learnt that the relationship with the chairman is important.”

Newcastle United

“I was well armed. I am always confident I can make teams better. The club had just been promoted and they wanted a different approach. They didn’t want to sign older players such as Michael Owen. I learnt that you have to show strength and dignity.”

I take it that he learnt so much about the impact of relegation with us he thought he'd do his best to drag us through it again! Our Holloway!!
  • Didn't realise he wanted to sign Michael Owen for the Toon. What a prize kn*b.
  • Valley11 said:

I think it's quite funny that the one blot on his managerial copybook is his time at Charlton. And unless he invents a time machine, there's nowt he can do about it.

Southampton was definitely a 'blot' on the copybook. With the money they spent that year, they should have been in the playoffs, regardless of points deduction.

West Ham also ended badly for him.
  • He says "I learnt that you have to show strength and dignity.”

Very dignified when he had that spat with Pellegrini and you could lip read him saying "F*ck off you old c*nt".

A great lesson in dignity.

• Sponsored links:

• I like him.
  • masicat said:

I like him.

Each to their own. Would be interested to know what you like about him?
  • When pardont was at Reading I had a few jobs there and was shown around the ground by the sports science guy, he rated pardont really highly but always said not as highly As he rated himself

Said that pardont had also said on many occasions he wanted to manage charlton

• Didnt egg head call him a cancer in the dressing room?
  • LenGlover said:

We can but hope that Palace implode under his influence next season.

It will all come out in the wash. He is stain on football's underpants!
  • TelMc32 said:

NS...not sure whether the story has changed, but this is the on-line version now. The comments about media training/savvy are in the WHam section, not ours.

What he learnt along the way

Reading

“I didn’t really have too many failures. I was building an exciting young team and enjoying coaching and naively thinking that’s what’s going to happen for the rest of my career.”

West Ham United

“It was learning about the media, what the media wanted. I was naive with the media: I had no training and I didn’t understand why people were attacking me. I learnt you couldn’t win all the time. I already had a thick skin but it started to thicken up at West Ham. I learnt about the politics of football and they were one of the reasons I left.”

Charlton Athletic

“I learnt the impact of relegation, which I had inherited. I wasn’t told how big an impact that would be. I was slightly deceived by the agenda.”

Southampton

“I like to think I set some good things in motion. Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain all went on to have great England success. I learnt that the relationship with the chairman is important.”

Newcastle United

“I was well armed. I am always confident I can make teams better. The club had just been promoted and they wanted a different approach. They didn’t want to sign older players such as Michael Owen. I learnt that you have to show strength and dignity.”

I take it that he learnt so much about the impact of relegation with us he thought he'd do his best to drag us through it again! Our Holloway!!
    I was going on what was posted here http://addickschampionshipdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/pardew-was-deceived-at-charlton.html which made it look like he was talking about Charlton.

I'm glad it is now clear he was talking about West Ham because it was the suggestion he wasn't media aware enough by the time he arrived at Charlton which I found incredulous.

• So, he reckons he was right, and Charlton Athletic as a long established club were wrong? Excuse me, he used to play for us, if he had anything about him he could easily have got up to speed on any aspect of the club he was unsure about.
    I believe we were decieved in thinking he was any good, he landed here, sucked the remainder of our resources dry, bullied staff with his ascerbic tongue and arrogant attitude, and failed miserably.
    His touchline behaviour alone at Newcastle reveals more about his character than his self delusion when he reports on his experience here. Newcastle fans, West Ham, Southampton and us are all wrong are we Alan?
    Look in the mirror, you are riding the wave of a team already mostly assembled, at a poxy club that isn't close to sorting out it's stadium issues, and you're going to blow all their money on your latest vanity project. The amazing thing is you keep getting away with it Alan. In my opinion you are a deeply flawed character and sadly one day you won't get what's coming, because you have exploited your very limited ability to become a multi millionaire.
    You are the perfect example as to why life is unfair.
  • If Palace give him money, he will destroy them like he did us. Rein him in like Ashley did and they might get somewhere with him.