Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst goal you've ever seen for or against Charlton

Don't give extra points to a Millwall goal just because it's Millwall, or that Fulham one after Steve Artist got confused about which player had handballed it. The goal itself has to be savagely terrible. Points awarded for services to grotesque unbeauty.

My nomination is Bobby Zamora for West Ham on the opening day of the 2006/7 season. Maybe the worst goal ever scored. The Elk's air-kick on the line is maybe the most tragic non-harmful thing a human has ever done. And of course, it set up that glorious season beautifully.

Can't find the video of it, alas, but I want you to make up for this by posting plenty of your own. Bad goals only, please.

Comments

• Carl Leaburn managed the scrappiest goal I've ever seen. I'm sure many will already know which one I'm referring to. It involved the referee somehow stopping the ball on the goal line, and Leaburn saying 'f*** that' and pushing both ref and ball over the line.
  • Solly vs Boro last year in the home opener. Pinball in the box, instead of heading it out, Solly headed it right to a Boro player, 0-1 loss. Watching the highlights of this made it so much worse because of the painfully horrific announcer we had at the time
  • West Brom in off the puddle in the FA cup.
  • For us.....the Colchester OG that gave us a 1-0 win in the FA Cup in 1984. Not a Charlton player within 20 yards of matey as he rolled the ball gently through the legs of Alec Chamberlain in goal.
  • Remember Ben Hamer smacking a clearance into a Colchester striker and watching it loop back in over his head. That was bleak

Which was a game that had one of the best goals I have seen as well via Anthony Wordsworth.

Possibly the two single most opposite goals in a football match, ever.
  • Mike Salmon spilling what should have been a simple catch in to his own net vs. Brentford in the FA Cup.

We won 3-2 (David Whyte free kick in injury time), but everything about that goal was bad.
  • Racon miss kick clearance scunny away the day I knew that we were fucked for a long time to come
  • Dean Kiely's OG against Swindon. I cant recal that they had an attempt on target all game. Would have been our 13th win in a row so a game we were destined to lose.

Have to agree with this one. We were top and I think Swindon were bottom. Willie Carson got some abuse at half-time, I seem to remember.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dean Kiely's OG against Swindon. I cant recal that they had an attempt on target all game. Would have been our 13th win in a row so a game we were destined to lose.

Have to agree with this one. We were top and I think Swindon were bottom. Willie Carson got some abuse at half-time, I seem to remember.
    I remember this well, it was their only chance of the game and don't think it was even a shot, cross from the right wing which Kiely managed to flap behind him into the net.
  • West Brom puddle goal and Deano v Swindon will take some beating.
  • That Barness own goal at Upton Park was a classic of it's sort too...
  • edited May 2015
    The one that Matt Tees scored when the opposition keeper crashed the ball into Matt's shins. It went past the keeper and crept over the line as the keeper scrambled back to correct his mistake.
  • That sounds like a budget version of Jensen vs Man City
  • We were beating Sheff Utd in the seventies, who were in the top flight 2-1 in added time. Our goalie John Dunn ran to the corner flag to shepherd the ball out and instead conceded a corner. He stood there arguing with the linesman with me thinking you had better get back in goal or words to that effect. To late, 2-2 and we lost the replay.
  • Lee Bowyer at Watford. What a mess.
  • Simonsen said:

For us.....the Colchester OG that gave us a 1-0 win in the FA Cup in 1984. Not a Charlton player within 20 yards of matey as he rolled the ball gently through the legs of Alec Chamberlain in goal.

I was behind the goal and the ball didn't even reach the net - it sort of apologetically rolled over the line and stopped. This must have been the most undeserved victory Charlton ever got away with.

I'm pretty sure killer walked out of the club the night before because we re-signed Flanagan, never a dull moment in those days.
  • Apart from the cross from Joe Gomez I felt the second goal for Yoni Buyens v Reading this season was pretty horrible, just stuck his knee out and luckily diverted it into the net
  • Sponsored links:

• The goals vs Sunderland in 2003!
  • Simonsen said:

For us.....the Colchester OG that gave us a 1-0 win in the FA Cup in 1984. Not a Charlton player within 20 yards of matey as he rolled the ball gently through the legs of Alec Chamberlain in goal.

I was behind the goal and the ball didn't even reach the net - it sort of apologetically rolled over the line and stopped. This must have been the most undeserved victory Charlton ever got away with.

I'm pretty sure killer walked out of the club the night before because we re-signed Flanagan, never a dull moment in those days.
    Seem to recall we didn't have a serious shot. Shane Westley got a red card, Keith Bowen hit the post at least once and 0-5 wouldn't have been un-deserved.

You're right about the Hales resigning thing..."the club have treated me like a piece of meat." A few days later, they played together in a 5-2 crushing of Cambridge Utd!
  • Racon miss kick clearance scunny away the day I knew that we were fucked for a long time to come

That was Moutouakil (sp?).

Worst I remember was Peter Hunt's back in the early seventies - it didn't even go in the net!!! His shot whizzed past the outside of the post at the open end, hit the wall behind the goal and bounced back onto the field. All of the players trotted back toward the halfway line to await the goal kick and were amazed when the ref gave the goal!

• v Brighton late seventies.
    Brighton corner and I think I'm right in saying Dave Memhet volleyed it pass Jeff Wood (I think). He really caught hold of it.
    Our keeper later stated " I never stood a chance",
  • The balls up between Randolph and Paddy McCarthy at the Valley.
    Also when Fiertoft ? hit the post for Swindon and it hit Andy Petterson on the back and rebounded into the net. League cup I think.
  • Rossman92 said:

Solly vs Boro last year in the home opener. Pinball in the box, instead of heading it out, Solly headed it right to a Boro player, 0-1 loss. Watching the highlights of this made it so much worse because of the painfully horrific announcer we had at the time

Correction, this was Kermorgant not Solly
  • The van Persie volley at The Valley was not a bad effort.
  • Rossman92 said:

Rossman92 said:

Solly vs Boro last year in the home opener. Pinball in the box, instead of heading it out, Solly headed it right to a Boro player, 0-1 loss. Watching the highlights of this made it so much worse because of the painfully horrific announcer we had at the time

Correction, this was Kermorgant not Solly
    Do not swear
  • The Sunderland game was hilarious. I remember watching SSN and Kammy was covering our game. He described the first as a 'crap shot from Fish'.