Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Playoffs format?....

After watching the IPL playoffs today, it made me think that they have a cool, unique way of deciding their playoff final teams that maybe should be adopted in our playoffs to ensure a bit more fairness.
Game 1 is Team who finished 1st v team who finished 2 - winners go straight through to final, losers go to play winners of game 2 below.
Game 2 is 3 v 4 - winners go to play losers of Game 1.
Game 3 is Losers of Game 1 v winners of Game 2
Game 4 (Final) is winners of game 1 v winners of game 3.

So, essentially if you finish in the top 2 you get 2 shots at getting to the final.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Sorry, If I understand you correctly, the team that wins the league may not get promoted, same for the team that came second. I don't see that as fairer.

The play offs can be unfair to the third placed team, but that fairness is sacrificed to increase competition ( and allowed us to be promoted from the play offs). Sorry if I have misunderstood.
  • Kap10 said:

Sorry, If I understand you correctly, the team that wins the league may not get promoted, same for the team that came second. I don't see that as fairer.

The play offs can be unfair to the third placed team, but that fairness is sacrificed to increase competition ( and allowed us to be promoted from the play offs). Sorry if I have misunderstood.

Yeah but you can just move it down a few places and not include the top two.

I like the idea mentioned and it probably is fairer, just like the Scottish way of 6th v 5th, then winner v 4th, then winner v 3rd is fairer too. But, I think the excitement the current system in use over here brings is too precious to throw away and don't really see a point in changing it.
  • Kap10 said:

I presume The_President means 1st, as in 1st in the playoff positions!
  • Kap10 said:

Yeah but you can just move it down a few places and not include the top two.

I like the idea mentioned and it probably is fairer, just like the Scottish way of 6th v 5th, then winner v 4th, then winner v 3rd is fairer too. But, I think the excitement the current system in use over here brings is too precious to throw away and don't really see a point in changing it.
    Yeah agree with that, the playoffs are the best part of the whole season imho and I include the premiership, champions league and everything else on that. I don't care if it's entirely fair, it's incredibly entertaining, which is the real point of this football soap opera after all, so I say leave it well alone thank you very much.
  • The system I would prefer is:

Game 1: 3rd home to 4th
    Game 2: 2nd home to winner of Game 1
    Game 3: 1st home to winner of Game 2
  • I admit i wasn't keen on the playoffs idea when it was introduced. But it's undeniable that they do prolong the interest in the season and can produce some exciting games (1998 was good 'un)
    I would like to see them altered to be fairer to the most succesful team. The situation where a team in the 4th playoff position can realistically be twenty points behind the team in 1st playoff position and go on to win the playoffs seems to me to be very unfair. It does of course all come down to how well teams play on the day and the system I propose does not basically change that, but does make it more likely that the higher finishing team will win through.

Team A finished 3rd in the league ( 1st playoff position) They are automatically playoff finalists.
    Team B finished in second playoff position
    Team C finished in third playoff position
    Team D finished in fourth playoff position

D play away at C in a one-off game involving extra-time and penalties if necessary.
    The winners play away at team B again in a one-off game.
    The eventual winners progress to Wembley to meet team A who were automatic playoff finalists.

The positive of this system is it radically increases the chances of team A winning promotion.
    The negative is this system requires less games. Though that may not actually be a bad thing?
  • Leave it as it is. Next you'll be saying that it's unfair that promotion can be settled on penalty kicks. The comment above about the final being at the home ground of the highest place team is good at non-league level but ludicrous above.

In the Scottish championship playoff the team that finished second from the bottom in the SPL automatically makes the final.
  • The play offs can be a cruel mistress to the losing clubs but we all know and accept the risks.

I think they are great to be honest
  • seems a bit convoluted. I'd have playoff semis as only one leg with highest team at home and no extra time or pens - if a draw the highest team wins.
  • edited May 2015
    The only change I might make is 5th v 3rd and 6th v 4th in the semis.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2015
    Daggs said:

I admit i wasn't keen on the playoffs idea when it was introduced. But it's undeniable that they do prolong the interest in the season and can produce some exciting games (1998 was good 'un)
    I would like to see them altered to be fairer to the most succesful team. The situation where a team in the 4th playoff position can realistically be twenty points behind the team in 1st playoff position and go on to win the playoffs seems to me to be very unfair. It does of course all come down to how well teams play on the day and the system I propose does not basically change that, but does make it more likely that the higher finishing team will win through.

Team A finished 3rd in the league ( 1st playoff position) They are automatically playoff finalists.

D play away at C in a one-off game involving extra-time and penalties if necessary.
    The eventual winners progress to Wembley to meet team A who were automatic playoff finalists.

The positive of this system is it radically increases the chances of team A winning promotion.
    The negative is this system requires less games. Though that may not actually be a bad thing?

Isn't that what I said in less words in the previous post? :-) Tell you what. I'll like your post if you like mine!
  • Daggs said:

...The negative is this system requires less games. Though that may not actually be a bad thing?

It is if you are a money making organisation. For that reason, I suspect this will never happen.
  • As said above. The play-offs are the best invention in football if you ask me, one of the major positives of all the vast swathe of change over the last 25 odd years. Do not mess about with something that is working so well. Absolutely no need.
  • As said above. The play-offs are the best invention in football if you ask me, one of the major positives of all the vast swathe of change over the last 25 odd years. Do not mess about with something that is working so well. Absolutely no need.

100% this.

• The system I would prefer is:

Game 1: 3rd home to 4th
    Game 2: 2nd home to winner of Game 1
    Game 3: 1st home to winner of Game 2

I'd thought about that system, but there is also the danger of the highest placed team getting rusty, while the lowest team gets momentum from two good wins and taking that into the final!
  • Daggs said:

I admit i wasn't keen on the playoffs idea when it was introduced. But it's undeniable that they do prolong the interest in the season and can produce some exciting games (1998 was good 'un)

Isn't that what I said in less words in the previous post? :-) Tell you what. I'll like your post if you like mine!
    Having read your post again, yes i think it is the same. Except the last game would not be at 'home' It would be at Wembley.
  • Stig said:

Daggs said:

...The negative is this system requires less games. Though that may not actually be a bad thing?

It is if you are a money making organisation. For that reason, I suspect this will never happen.
    Ah yes! But you're forgetting how 'tired' professional footballers get .... :)
  • I think Rugby Union used to do something similar where the team at the top of the League went straight into the final and the next four teams played off.

The problem was that the playoffs took a couple of weeks whereby the League leaders were sitting about doing nothing while the other teams played.

Come the final the league leaders hadn't played for a couple of weeks and were off the boil and got beat by the qualifying team who had been playing for the last two weeks.

They've changed now to the top 4 playing off.
  • The answer to that is simply have the games over a one week period immediately after the season proper has finished. Any team having to wait one week, can surely train or play a friendly if they deem it necessary.
  • Sponsored links:

• It would be fairer to flip a coin or place money in a brown envelop directly to EPL and the most money wins.
  • How about a play-off in the Premier League between 4th & 5th, to decide the final Champions League place...
  • Unless a change will guarantee more money for the greedy b*stards who are doing their best to ruin the game we used to love, that change will not come. Not now, not ever. All future change will be designed to ultimately line the pockets of the likes of , (ahem!), Raheem Sterling.
  • How about a play-off in the Premier League between 4th & 5th, to decide the final Champions League place...

I'm sure the 'Big 4' at the moment would object to that unless one of them is in 5th.
  • edited May 2015
    During the first two stagings of the play-offs in 1987 and 1988, the four teams involved were the three clubs that finished directly below the automatic promotions positions, plus the club which finished directly above the automatic relegation places in the division above.
    This was part of the league's two-season-long restructuring that would reduce the number of teams in the top tier (from 22 to 20) while increasing them in the lower divisions (creating three divisions of 24 clubs); during these seasons, only one club (Charlton Athletic in 1987) that entered the play-offs in a relegation place managed to win the play-offs and therefore retain their divisional status (From Wiki)

Methinks this is a better format
  • Better perhaps but money will preclude it because you have a dozen or so prem clubs worried about being 4th bottom.

Mind you it could happen if only two were to be automatically relegated so that third bottom went into the mix with a possible CAFC-like get out of jail card. But then we might lose our record one day!
  • Leave the present format as it is. Adds a lot of excitement for a lot of clubs towards the end of the season
  • A brilliant article about the best CAFC match I've ever seen. Playoffs a gift to us from the NFL, which we all started watching in 1982 on C4.
  • MrLargo said:
    what a strange coincidence this article viz a vis this post