Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

R I P Brian Close

Tough guy Yorkshire cricketer .. youngest to play test cricket for England .. mentor to Lord Botham and Viv Richards .. died aged 81

CORRECTION: Brian Close has died aged 84 and not 81 as I typed above

Comments

• The passing of the greats from my teenage years are rapidly moving on ......Brian Close photographed after facing Wes Hall Charlie Griffith etc shirt off, chest all covered in bruises.......'just a scratch' he probably said.
  • What is it they used to say? 'You knew the summer had started when you heard the thud of leather on Brian Close's body'. Tough man and no mean cricketer.

RIP
  • Great cricketer, apparently hard as a coffin nail, lived his life his way a real one off

RIP
  • edited September 2015
    Think it was Wes Hall to whom he advanced half way down to the pitch half way through his run up from almost the boundary rope (no helmet in those days) bat primed as much to say 'come on then lets have it'. Wes pulled up rather sharpish in full flow and started holding his back in pain! They don't make em like Mr Close anymore. RIP
  • They say things happen in threes......

Fred Lucas, Ron Springett and now Closey.

Like Lincs above I remember that 1963 series against the West Indies. I was also at Lords in 1976 on a darkish afternoon/evening when Holding et al gave a 45 year old Close and a slightly less venerable John edrich a going over.

He stood up to it just as he had 13 years before.

RIP.
  • LenGlover said:

They say things happen in threes......

Like Lincs above I remember that 1963 series against the West Indies. I was also at Lords in 1976 on a darkish afternoon/evening when Holding et al gave a 45 year old Close and a slightly less venerable John edrich a going over.

RIP.

If any of our batsmen ever want to know what it takes to face fast bowling without protection they only have to watch this:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=60GAhXvU90k&feature=youtu.be

RIP Closey
  • Another great passes today.......RIP Sir.
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

They say things happen in threes......

RIP.

Yes, I remember Close's England comeback, along I think with David Steele being called up, to face the fiercsome attacks, that our other batsman could not face.

I remember Close, chesting the ball away. The bravest cricketer I've ever seen and ever will.

RIP.
  • Probably the toughest cricketer I ever saw, like a few on here I remember him being used for target practice by the Windies in 1976...he got hit by a succession of cannonballs from Roberts, Holding et al, and Richie Benaud drily observed "He won't rub that".

RIP
  • RIP Brian

It's hard to believe someone as tough as you can actually pass away, they don't make them like you anymore
  • there are some great anectdotes from his playing days and his skippering ...cant remember seeing/reading an autobiography but it would be a great read as his career spanned such a long period
  • Sorry, Don't know how to make the pictures bigger.

• oh it worked.
  • Very good cricketer and tougher than me by a mile. RIP.
  • lolwray said:

there are some great anectdotes from his playing days and his skippering ...cant remember seeing/reading an autobiography but it would be a great read as his career spanned such a long period

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brian-Close-Lionheart-Ian-Botham/dp/0413772977
  • RIP remember the pictures of his bruises a tough guy
  • Sponsored links:

• Brian Close - absolutely as hard as nails.

If by some mis-chance he's gone "downstairs", Old Nick is in for one heck of a beating.

RIP Brian Close, a real England cricket legend.
  • I remeber him playing for Yorkshire in the late 60`s and seemed the bain of Kent. One of those plays you felt never got out.That recall to England in 1976 was amazing and we are talking real bravery, unfortunately he could not save enland from a hammering. But cricket seemed great in those days.
  • R.I.P. Brian, a very good & brave player.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/34244256

a BBC link to Holding v Close for those who cannot access youtube at work.

Unthinkable today to think how they faced that barrage without helmets, arm guards etc?
    (although notice he had a plaster on his elbow the wimp)

also how on the mark were those bouncers - great bowling.
  • I expect most of you have heard this story:

In a game between Gloucestershire and Yorkshire, Martin Young was caught at slip by Phil Sharpe after it ricocheted off Brian Close’s forehead. Close was at short-leg, and as he was hit, he shouted, “Catch it!” When his team-mates enquired what would have happened had it hit him a little lower, Close said, “He’d have been caught in t’gully.”.
  • Amazing that he played for England when he was 17 and was recalled at the age of 46 but only got 22 caps in those 29 years.
  • Hard as absolute nails; never seen a tougher cricketer. What a legend.
    RIP Mr Close
  • RIP Mr Close