Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Middlesbrough away with Charlton coaches

**A Valley Away service, priced at £28, will be available to transport fans to and from the fixture. Full pick-up times are available below**

"To and from the fixture", are they thinking people might decide to stay there once they have seen the sights!

Comments

• The good news is that the club seems to be getting on top of the coach service now and taking it seriously.

Well done
  • This thread-title makes it look like some dangerous inter-club liaison is taking place, possibly at the Skegness Butlins
  • Coaches might be an ambitious target

An S Max might be more realistic
  • Thought this was going to be a thread on the most painful ways to die.
  • I went on my own by coach to their old ground one year maybe about 1988. My Walkman batteries run out before dartford tunnel. Was a long long trip for a nil nil or one nil defeat. Vague memories of golf balls being thrown at us.
  • MrOneLung said:

I went on my own by coach to their old ground one year maybe about 1988. My Walkman batteries run out before dartford tunnel. Was a long long trip for a nil nil or one nil defeat. Vague memories of golf balls being thrown at us.

I did the 3 1 game in our 85/86 promotion season on my own by coach. I must have been f*****g mad.
  • i done a boro away on my own by coach Tommy Caton last minute penalty winner .... we were greeted by empty milk bottles being lobbed at us as we got off the coach

what a bunch of weirdos we are
  • I went in 1970 (had to look it up). We lost 3-0 and their boot boys came round to our end to "swap scarves". Bloody long coach ride home.
    That's why I've never been back.
  • MrOneLung said:

I went on my own by coach to their old ground one year maybe about 1988. My Walkman batteries run out before dartford tunnel. Was a long long trip for a nil nil or one nil defeat. Vague memories of golf balls being thrown at us.

Think that was my one and only visit to Ayresome Park, 0-0 draw in December, my abiding memory was how cold it was.

The things you do to tick off another ground, then they bloody move:-)
  • Remember definitively doing Feb 95 game by coach. Lost 1-0, Uwe Fuchs scoring.

Randomly I think I can remember chatting with @northstandsteve on the corner terrace. Think he was with Frankie
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2015
    Old Boro trips by coach. Early prem years for me. A Sunday game, think it finished 0-0. The coach got there for about 1pm. Kick off was 4pm. 3 hours walking round the ground. Went into the club shop and saw they had a Boro back door for sale in the style of French window.....

Great day
  • Is it worth signing up to Valley Gold now to ensure i get a ticket??
  • cabbles said:

Old Boro trips by coach. Early prem years for me. A Sunday game, think it finished 0-0. The coach got there for about 1pm. Kick off was 4pm. 3 hours walking round the ground. Went into the club shop and saw they had a Boro back door for sale in the style of French window.....

Great day

I was there for that 'classic'. And people wonder why Sky swerve us as often as possible. I also went by coach (no trains as I recall) for Les Reed's last game in charge, a couple of days before Christmas. We took one coach and got clapped out of the car park afterwards by the Boro blue rinse brigade. An abject 2 0 loss. I counted about 70 of us there that day, not sure where the other 5930 had disappeared to after Operation: Riverside not 8 months earlier.
  • We were in Milan that weekend, we begged/cajoled/bribed the bloke in the football pub to put it on ( he had feeds to another PL game which he had advertised).... We crept out at the end before he came after us for the loss of bar takings. It wasn't all our fault, Boro were shocking but it was a terrible game.
  • We were in Milan that weekend, we begged/cajoled/bribed the bloke in the football pub to put it on ( he had feeds to another PL game which he had advertised).... We crept out at the end before he came after us for the loss of bar takings. It wasn't all our fault, Boro were shocking but it was a terrible game.

Ha ha, yes it was both teams' fault. And I guess we should give ourselves credit for serving a footballing feast up there on Sky: a 3 0 romp at the start of '05-06.
  • True, one of the best Charlton performances I've seen on telly or anywhere else. Remember at one point we were totally in control but couldn't get the second goal to kill it off, enter Chris Perry to apply the killer touch. Then they gave Darren Bent a yard.......

Happy days
  • I went in 1970 (had to look it up). We lost 3-0 and their boot boys came round to our end to "swap scarves". Bloody long coach ride home.
    That's why I've never been back.

Last season Rock Spectacle and myself were in The Zetland opposite the station.
    This very nice Boro' fan was very keen to buy us a drink whilst telling us how wonderful Lennie was.
  • MrOneLung said:

I did the 3 1 game in our 85/86 promotion season on my own by coach. I must have been f*****g mad.
    Also, these were the days before you had toilets on the coach and were restricted to the service station stops. I'm lucky if I make it through the Dartford Tunnel before needing to go nowadays.
  • edited October 2015
    Did 1997 2-1 defeat, 2006 4-2 defeat & 2013 2-2 after being 2 up. Never again.
  • Did 1997 2-1 defeat, 2006 4-2 defeat & 2013 2-2 after being 2 up. Never again.

The '97 2-1 defeat was a really hot day, didn't injury time seem to go on forever untill Ravenelli got the winner? Drove up to this with Solidgone from Plumstead
  • Sponsored links:

• Was it 1985, it was raining and they let us under cover in the second half? The police were selling tea out of a Transit van, a bloke in the queue asked if they had pies and was directed to an ambulance outside.
  • i done a boro away on my own by coach Tommy Caton last minute penalty winner .... we were greeted by empty milk bottles being lobbed at us as we got off the coach

what a bunch of weirdos we are

I was probably on the same coach.
  • Bastard place Ayresome Park. I remember the glass coming over the line of houses behind the turnstiles and the police doing the tea.
  • Was it 1985, it was raining and they let us under cover in the second half? The police were selling tea out of a Transit van, a bloke in the queue asked if they had pies and was directed to an ambulance outside.

Yes, that was the 85 game. The stand had been shut after the Bradford fire but as there was only a few of us, they let us in.
  • Bastard place Ayresome Park. I remember the glass coming over the line of houses behind the turnstiles and the police doing the tea.

I wonder if @Big_Bad_World was up there when Millwall played them in either their promotion season or their first season up in division 1. I only ask because the guy wrote the book the Firm that the film ID was based on, said Boro were terrible at Ayresome. And the police did nothing. Maybe it was because it was Millwall though
  • cabbles said:

Bastard place Ayresome Park. I remember the glass coming over the line of houses behind the turnstiles and the police doing the tea.

I wonder if @Big_Bad_World was up there when Millwall played them in either their promotion season or their first season up in division 1. I only ask because the guy wrote the book the Firm that the film ID was based on, said Boro were terrible at Ayresome. And the police did nothing. Maybe it was because it was Millwall though
    Top o' the morning to ya.

I have vague recollections of that day. I was, if memory serves me correctly, up there with my uncle and remember it being a bit lively.

Losing 4-2 probably didn't help matters.

I've always had a huge amount of respect for Borough fans. True working class fans.
  • cabbles said:

Bastard place Ayresome Park. I remember the glass coming over the line of houses behind the turnstiles and the police doing the tea.

I have vague recollections of that day. I was, if memory serves me correctly, up there with my uncle and remember it being a bit lively.

I've always had a huge amount of respect for Borough fans. True working class fans.
    That Jim Bannon said the police were terrible in his book
  • edited October 2015
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

That Jim Bannon said the police were terrible in his book
    @cabbles , Jim Bannon is a massive fantasist. It's been determined that if he was actually involved with anything then he was on the peripheries of it all. Nobody of any note of that time remembers him as being a major player (excuse the terminology. I've just teleported myself back to the mid to late 80's).

Re the Borough plod, I don't actually recall anything about them to be honest.

@MillwallFan may be in a better position to elaborate (knowing him as I do :wink: )