Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Battle of the Xmas Adverts - Aldi vs. John Lewis

Comments

• What a load of utter shite.
  • What a load of utter shite.

Agreed. Hence why the Aldi ad made me LOL.
  • Christmas, Christmas it's still bloody November...............bah humbug!
  • That's the first time I've seen the John Lewis ad. The fuck is that shit? Awful.

Aldi ad is shorter so I prefer it.
  • Talking of Christmas adverts ... how about this for the ladies?

I would think the only that sucks after giving one of those, would be the Hoover.
  • It's not Christmas until the coca cola truck advert comes on.

That's already happened
  • Good for the pocket that advert

My grandad once got my grandma an ironing board cover for Christmas. And another year a car battery charger. No joke.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

It's been mentioned on the General Things That Annoy Me thread, but I can't stand it when adverts have classic songs sung in some sort of airy female voice to try and make them seem more atmospheric.

That John Lewis ad has butchered an Oasis classic for starters

This. Happens every bloody year. Some weak and insipid version of a song comes out and everyone is supposed to think, "that's different" - every year.
  • I think John Lewis blew the 'opposition' away a few years ago with the advert with the little boy that couldn't wait for Christmas to give his parents a serpent and since then their adverts have been average at best. All be it they managed to shirt a lot of stuffed penguins one year, but that is small consolidation when comparing the total spend at Christmas.

The first few adverts that told stories were very clever made to look more so because they were unique. Now most of the big retailers do them and they are all a but meh as far as I'm concerned.

Certainly the big 'excitement' before John Lewis release their Christmas advert is, frankly, sad. This year's doesn't even feel like it has a Christmas theme.
  • cafctom said:

It's been mentioned on the General Things That Annoy Me thread, but I can't stand it when adverts have classic songs sung in some sort of airy female voice to try and make them seem more atmospheric.

That John Lewis ad has butchered an Oasis classic for starters

Liam has accused his brother of selling out. Consequently, not welcome for the family booze up in Ireland. Touchy.

• are telescopes in this year?
  • Surprised Aldi have managed to get away with that. Probably need to brush up on my legal regs but could be an issue of parody of the John Lewis work.
  • the Aldi one reminds me of the film Up.

and as Grandma balloons down in her armchair all I can think of is buying a pellet gun for Christmas.
  • Well I'm a big softie and the John Lewis one choked me up a bit. Not as much as last years penguin though. Miss you Monty!
  • Macronate said:

are telescopes in this year?

They probably are now? Well I had to lug two large boxes out of my dad's last night containing two telescopes for my nephews. He told me he got them in Matalan though.

• Huskaris said:

Talking of Christmas adverts ... how about this for the ladies?

My grandad once got my grandma an ironing board cover for Christmas. And another year a car battery charger. No joke.
    I got my wife Salt and Pepper grinders last year - good ones though.

We needed them.

She still mentions it quite a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Tesco ones are quite funny.
  • Macronate said:

are telescopes in this year?

• The John Lewis advert is beautiful.
  • The John Lewis advert is beautiful.

It can't be by definition; it is an advert designed by an agency to invade your home, lodge in your mind and get you to spend your hard-earned cash at a corporation's outlet. I don't see any beauty in that.

I'm working with a marketing team on a Christmas campaign. Our advert is well made I admit, but the people behind it don't really care about the content or message, they're obsessed with how good their advert is. The marketeers are wagging the dog. There are a dozen corporations doing this; measuring themselves against each other, obsessing over who has the best advert. They forgot that the content or the offer or deal is what matters. They couldn't care less about that stuff though.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

The John Lewis advert is beautiful.

It can't be by definition; it is an advert designed by an agency to invade your home, lodge in your mind and get you to spend your hard-earned cash at a corporation's outlet. I don't see any beauty in that.

I'm working with a marketing team on a Christmas campaign. Our advert is well made I admit, but the people behind it don't really care about the content or message, they're obsessed with how good their advert is. The marketeers are wagging the dog. There are a dozen corporations doing this; measuring themselves against each other, obsessing over who has the best advert. They forgot that the content or the offer or deal is what matters. They couldn't care less about that stuff though.
    And a very Merry Christmas to you too!!!
  • Daggs said:

Christmas, Christmas it's still bloody November...............bah humbug!

I'm raring to go for Christmas, all shopping done decs out and up all that's left to do is the wrapping. Christmas songs blasting out in my house now.
  • the coca cola ad signals Christmas

'holidays are coming'
  • House Of Fraser ad is pretty cool...