Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bass players

Picking up on the 'geetar' thread. How about your greatest/favourite Bass players

I'll start with the three that come immediately to mind. In no particular order (where have I heard that?)

Jaco Pastorious

Norman Watt-Roy

JJ Burnel

Comments

• Him off Level 42

Or the fella who plays with Dire Straits, Clapton and Daft Punk
  • Flea. I'm not a chili peppers fan but every bass player I know rates him (not a large or impressive sample, but all of them).

Donald duck dunn on loads of my fave soul tracks
  • Him off Level 42

Or the fella who plays with Dire Straits, Clapton and Daft Punk

Level 42 = Mark King

The other guy may be Pino Palladino ?
  • Clapton Bassist = Nathan East
  • Ashley Hutchings
  • Pino Palladino worked with Paul Young and The Who. He's pretty good too.
  • Paul McCartney
    Colin Moulding
    Norman Watt-Roy
  • Think McCartney is overrated meself

; )
  • edited December 2015
    In terms of decent bass players, obviously Macca. Paul McCartney's basslines are really melodic. Bernard Rogers Edwards (!) did some great lines for Chic.

And more surprisingly for what was a teenie band, John Taylor of Duran Duran is a really good bass player. This is the isolated bass line from Rio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr3HCNIgv40

• John entwhistle. Legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Paul McCartney
    Bernard Edwards
    John Entwhistle
    Gene simmons?
    John deacon?
  • edited November 2015
  • Better stick Mani in the mix an all
  • Think McCartney is overrated meself

; )

Get in, gro - bag! ☺

• Sammy, is Bernard Edwards the bloke from Chic? Given that the bassline from Good Times is probably the most nicked one of all time, I can't agree more. That's despite my "child of the 80s" appreciation of Mark King and John Taylor.
  • Andy Rourke.
  • In terms of decent bass players, obviously Macca. Paul McCartney's basslines are really melodic. Bernard Rogers did some great lines for Chic.

And more surprisingly for what was a teenie band, John Taylor of Duran Duran is a really good bass player. This is the isolated bass line from Rio

wow, who'd have thought it?

• Kim Deal is definitely the coolest! ;-)
  • Peter Hook using the bass as lead guitar
    Sid Vicious using the bass as an weapon
    Macca (if only for the bass line on Dear Prudence)
  • Sponsored links:

• Cliff Burton. Incredible talent at such a young age
  • Halix said:

Peter Hook using the bass as lead guitar

I'm no expert on this topic but I always love his baselines which in my opinion make New Order's music from 'good' to 'great'.

Simon Gallup of The Cure. Not the greatest but definitely one of my favorites.
  • I always thought of Chris Squire from Yes as a stand out bassist. In my yoof I’d listen to to my Yes albums over and over and sometimes to concentrate especially on his bass lines. He really was a fabulous player with a unique tone and style.

• I'm no expert on this topic but I always love his baselines which in my opinion make New Order's music from 'good' to 'great'.

Can't remember the song but there's a great one with Gallop and Rob Smith both playing lead Bass.
  • Redskin said:

In terms of decent bass players, obviously Macca. Paul McCartney's basslines are really melodic. Bernard Rogers did some great lines for Chic.

wow, who'd have thought it?

Was taught by Bernard Edwards.
  • Stuart Zender from early Jamiroqui. Genius.

The one, the only, the fist. Mr James Jamerson. What a legend.
  • Entwhistle/McCartney/Jack Bruce in the 60's

Norman Watt-Roy and JJ Burnel later on

I saw Level 42 a couple of times, in Mark Kings hands the bass was a different instrument.

My favourite is Bruce Thomas of the Attractions who fell out with Costello big time.

When Costello said in an interview that his replacement was better, it was like Murray saying Parky was better than Curbs.

I've just finished reading Bruces memoirs "Rough Notes". Excellent stuff, he was playing since the mid 60s there's plenty of muso anecdotes and you get a real feel for what its like being a professional musician.
  • Halix said:

Peter Hook using the bass as lead guitar

I'm no expert on this topic but I always love his baselines which in my opinion make New Order's music from 'good' to 'great'.

Jessie, perhaps you should be a witness for him in court this week!

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/30/peter-hook-sues-new-order-claiming-they-pillaged-the-groups-name
  • edited December 2015
    Pino Paladino is mustard probably the main man at the moment
    Nathan East one of the best ever
    Norman Watt Roy probably the most underrated player, should be a superstar.
    But check out Tal Wilkenfeld probably the best female bass player, currently playing with Beck. She's excellent and easy on the eye as well. ;o)