Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sir Terry Wogan RIP

13»

Comments

• A gentle Irish gentleman with a great sense of fun. You will be missed. RIP
  • My favourite Woganism .. in the 1980s, the French R Union team featured a tough guy with the unfortunate name of Jean Condom ..
    One year, just before the France v Ireland game, TW was asked his opinion of the player: 'Don't know much about him, but I can't wait to see what he'll be using to keep his ears in place' came the reply .. hahahahah .. VERY risqué for the BBC at that time .. a very humorous man was Sir TW

• I did a few Children in Need phone ins at the beeb (we did the radio donations, think BT do the TV stuff at the tower) and Terry Wogan always popped in after his show to say thanks. None of the others did, bar Sarah Kennedy once. A class act, also a much bigger bloke than I'd imagined. Sad to see him go.

RIP - a shocking year so far

I didn't even know he was ill this has well and truly taken the wind out of my sails this morning.

Never met him but over the years kinda felt like I'd got to know him.

• A broadcasting legend. RIP
  • Too young. RIP.
  • Shocked about this, a legendary man RIP Sir Terry
  • RIP. God bless you Sir Terry and your family.

• I did a few Children in Need phone ins at the beeb (we did the radio donations, think BT do the TV stuff at the tower) and Terry Wogan always popped in after his show to say thanks. None of the others did, bar Sarah Kennedy once. A class act, also a much bigger bloke than I'd imagined. Sad to see him go.

RIP - a shocking year so far

I didn't even know he was ill this has well and truly taken the wind out of my sails this morning.

Never met him but over the years kinda felt like I'd got to know him.

My thoughts exactly - when I came down this morning and my wife told me he had died it really upset me - a feeling I don't normally get for people I don't know personally.

Will forever remember him on Blankety Blank - wonderful entertainment from much simpler times.

• RIP, it's all been said by others, talented, funny gentleman.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another national treasure about to be buried. RIP Sir Terry Wogan
  • Such sad news. As a kid, growing up in an Irish home here in the 70s & 80s, Terry Wogan's voice was always one that reminded you of Ireland. Soft, lilting & always reassuring, with a mischievous but certainly never nasty sense of humour.

Another lovely person, taken by this horrible disease.

Thoughts go out to his friends & family. Rest in Peace Sir Terence Wogan.
  • Probably the best ever all round broadcaster a true great seems like we ve all lost a good friend. ..whenever you heard or saw him you d feel better for it...A rare natural gift RIP
  • Now that is a shock. RIP Sir Terry :-(
  • RIP Terry, true legend.
  • I used to love him on the radio. Before I could drive I had a job which would require me to be picked up in a minibus and driven to a building site with a load of others. The driver always had Wogan on and whilst I'd pull my jacket up round my face and try to sleep his gentle lilt and very sharp sense of humour would have me giggling like an idiot into the fleece lining of my coat. Also weirdly for a voice that could send you to sleep trying to catch the humour livened me right up before arriving to site.

The journey home was shit though, I can't remember who used to do the late afternoons in them days on radio 2 but I didn't like them
  • Rest in peace Mr Wogan, millions dearly loved listening to the voice and the humour
  • Carter said:

I used to love him on the radio. Before I could drive I had a job which would require me to be picked up in a minibus and driven to a building site with a load of others. The driver always had Wogan on and whilst I'd pull my jacket up round my face and try to sleep his gentle lilt and very sharp sense of humour would have me giggling like an idiot into the fleece lining of my coat. Also weirdly for a voice that could send you to sleep trying to catch the humour livened me right up before arriving to site.

The journey home was shit though, I can't remember who used to do the late afternoons in them days on radio 2 but I didn't like them

It could have been John Dunn or Johnny Walker maybe?
  • Sponsored links:

• Always have listened to a lot of Radio, Radio 2 especially, even when all my mates at school listened to Capital - back in the 80s. So I grew up listening to Terry Wogan and as others have said, you just always expected him to be here.

I'm shocked and saddened that he is no longer with us. He was one of us.

RIP Sir Terry Wogan.
  • I really liked Sir Terry a very funny guy who never took himself too seriously
  • Carter said:

I used to love him on the radio. Before I could drive I had a job which would require me to be picked up in a minibus and driven to a building site with a load of others. The driver always had Wogan on and whilst I'd pull my jacket up round my face and try to sleep his gentle lilt and very sharp sense of humour would have me giggling like an idiot into the fleece lining of my coat. Also weirdly for a voice that could send you to sleep trying to catch the humour livened me right up before arriving to site.

This would have been 1998
  • True gent
    And the euro song contest will never be the the same
    Nil-point
    Rip
  • Very sad RIP. Loved his radio work and Children in Need. My late mum was a big fan and I got tickets for one of his early TV ventures, called "What's on Wogan" (I think). It was mum's birthday and she got to chat to him. As others have said, he was such a nice guy and very very sharp.
  • Carter said:

Carter said:

This would have been 1998
    1998, it would have been both of the above Johnnie Walker took over drive-time from John Dunn in Oct 1998.
  • edited February 2016
    Thought the George Best interview maybe a bit too rude to share so I'll share ths one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElnCI1fkfFM
  • Thought the George Best interview maybe a bit too rude to share so I'll share ths one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElnCI1fkfFM

That George Best interview is cringe worthy
  • Good little tribute on the One Show now if anyone interested