Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ian Wright & Woolwich & District League from 30 years ago

I know he is an ex Gooner legend and Palarse as well, but cant help liking this guy. Re England games he actually cares. Shame he wont be on MoTD any more rather have him doing it than smarmytwat Lineker. I think his cooment in the paper today said alot " i cant help it if im not from some Manor House but from a council estate in South East London"

Comments

• he's good to listen to on talksport
  • like the fella down to earth loves the game
  • What you see is what you get with Ian Wright..

I really like him but can't bring myself to listen to him on Talk$hite
  • 100% spot on GoonerHater
  • Totally agree GH and he's a role model for all lads who maybe "tore it up" in their youf.
  • [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]What you see is what you get with Ian Wright..

I really like him but can't bring myself to listen to him on Talk$hite

his bit on talk sport his the best show on radio.
  • I have thought about geting in touch with him and asking him if he is intrested in doing something for the March For England thingy. If we/they truely want to get away from the Ultra Right then someone like Wrighty coming on board could be the way forward. There is no doubting his love for England. I also love his SARF LONDON and proud of it attitude.
  • The thing about Wrighty ........ he was playing non-league football at amateur/semi-pro level before he was 'discovered'.
    So he knows what it's like to work outside of football, in the real world.

Respect to him for achieving top Prem and International status from such an unlikely start.
    Players who have reached the top through sheer determination, graft and love of the game never forget their footballing roots.

And fans relate to that.
  • I think he played for greenwich borough when their pitch/ground was at Sutcliffe Park
  • Yay, I used to play at Sutcliffe Park, season after season.

Woolwich & District League.

Soz. Off topic AGAIN! ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Soz.

Text speak Oggy? ;-)
  • As you say off topic but i represented the Woolwich and District League 3 times. Once in a friendly and twice in inter league cups.

Sutcliffe Park
    Dartford Heath
    Bourne Rd
    Senegal Fields (now New Den)
    Shrewsbury Park
    Beckenham Place Park
    Dock Labour Board
    Danson park

Theatre of dreams all of em !
  • I think I am right in saying that Wright had a trial at Charlton while he was at Greenwich Borough and we turned him down.

I remember his first season at Palace and he was as raw as you like but still scored a few goals and then he really boomed in 87/88 and never looked back.
  • I remember his first season at Palace and he was as raw as you like but still scored a few goals and then he really boomed in 87/88 and never looked back.[/quote]

Chris Dickson maybe....**we can hope**
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Soz.

Text speak Oggy? ;-)

As taught by my teenager! :o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]As you say off topic but i represented the Woolwich and District League 3 times. Once in a friendly and twice in inter league cups.

So did I, GH......maybe in the same sides......!
    Who did you play for in W & D - do we know each other?

Still got my commemorative plaque thingy's ....... nearest I got to a 'cap', ha ha!
  • Played against Epping Forest District Side they were semi pro and stuffed us i was MotM but i thought their winger took me to the cleaners that day. It was at The tate and Lyle sports ground.

Played against the Mercury saturday League at Erith and Belvedere was 2 v 2.

and played agaisntthe Brook Staturday team won 8 nil, was at the Dock labour Board ground in Mottingham.
  • not forgetting he's a millwall fan as well GH. But he's a top bloke
  • Take it none of you heard his TalkSport show when he had his mate Simon Jordan on then!
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Played against Epping Forest District Side they were semi pro and stuffed us i was MotM but i thought their winger took me to the cleaners that day. It was at The tate and Lyle sports ground.

Played against the Mercury saturday League at Erith and Belvedere was 2 v 2.

and played agaisntthe Brook Staturday team won 8 nil, was at the Dock labour Board ground in Mottingham.

Hey, GH - are we taking season 76/77 & 78, here?

I played first one evening match at Erith & B, but limped off after wrecking ankle ligaments in the first few minutes.
    Scored one of our goals when we played Brook.

And there was one other match, in East London I think, can't quite remember where was that Tate & Lyle?

Total 3 matches that I played in.
  • Sponsored links:

• i think his programme on talk sport is the best around the only problem being slimes is his pal and they mugged us off on there a while back and wrighty let it happen proberly funny to all accept us, however his redemption was made when he mugged his own son off for looking in peoples bags and he ruined him proper for it
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]I know he is an ex Gooner legend and Palarse as well, but cant help liking this guy. Re England games he actually cares. Shame he wont be on MoTD any more rather have him doing it than smarmytwat Lineker. I think his cooment in the paper today said alot " i cant help it if im not from some Manor House but from a council estate in South East London"

He's a top fella
  • If your first name is Paul and your a brick layer we know each other.

Tat and Lyle was somewhere near Silver Town. We turned up in our normal cars they turned up in a big F Off coach.
  • Like the guy but he does have a big gob sometimes.. big loss to the beeb though balancing out the dour scott and the slick Linekar.

: )
  • Oggy was ur dads name Peter ?
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i think his programme on talk sport is the best around the only problem being slimes is his pal and they mugged us off on there a while back and wrighty let it happen proberly funny to all accept us, however his redemption was made when he mugged his own son off for looking in peoples bags and he ruined him proper for it

didn't hear the go he had at Bradley but if he did good on him. He's always rattled on about Shaun in the way every father would but at the end of the day has always been 100% honest and unbiased, even declaring as an England pundit he'd rather Beckham played than Shaun.
  • Spot on ISLS i think the way he talks about his kids is blinding and i thought it was bang on when he said that about shaun and Becks takes a brave man to say that these days without getting caned on the radio for it but who should no more than wrighty about who is better in that position
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]If your first name is Paul and your a brick layer we know each other.

Tat and Lyle was somewhere near Silver Town. We turned up in our normal cars they turned up in a big F Off coach.

That's the one!
    I'm not called Paul though - an my bricklaying is only amateur, lol
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Oggy was ur dads name Peter ?

Yep, the one & only, Peter Page of Meridian Sports Club fame. :o)
  • some great teams in that league:

LAC Rovers
    Evan Cooke
    Charlton Supporters (The late great Wyn Jones)
    Barnehurst
    St Pauls FC -- from Deptford . 4 sendings off huge punch up in car park Millwall V Charlton (happy days)
    North Neath Social
    Rochester Way Social
    Wickham wanderers

We also played for the Dewer Sheild which Charlton once won about 1920ish
  • I played in the Woolwich & District up until last season for Eltham Town.