Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brad Pitt to be new Manager at CAFC?

edited March 2016 in General Charlton
For a while friends & family have been urging me to watch "MoneyBall" the video link to a Brad Pitt movie explains the principle its worth a quick look

Moneyball Trailer 2011 HD - YouTube

Video for moneyball▶ 2:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiAHlZVgXjk

In football terms there is a active example in Europe (Demark I think) the owners of Brentford who sacked Warburton last year are apparently doing this with Brentford!

The theory in Baseball obviously worked as the movie and real life shows.

At Charlton it would explain our "Euro Scout", in essence statistical scouting,

E.G. Think Bambi on Ice (Naby Sa) scores points statistically as he had a 1.5M Euro buy out clause in his contract at Porto so he must be good and scored high points in the Moneyball program.

Great cost saving across five clubs!

Add to that the "good news only regime" which seems prevalent!

There is of course one harsh reality difference between baseball and football. Physicality and Injury.

Not to mention team spirit, crowd support, luck and stuff like that!

Comments

• How's the system working at Brentford since they got rid of Warburton ?

They are stale, and like CAFC, if we don't get a new owner soon,
    will be toast.
  • You're thinking of AZ in Holland:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/18/az-alkmaar-oakland-athletics-billy-beane

I'm so sick of hearing the term "Moneyball" and of hearing about Billy Beane. Keep in mind his success was around a decade ago (maybe more now), and he hasn't had huge success since (that I know of).

Basically what it boils down to is more in-depth statistical analysis of players. Baseball is a game of banal minutia, and there is an incredible amount of statistics gathered (not saying this is a bad thing). Until recently, there just wasn't the same for football. With the rise of Opta and WhoScoredIt, I think that's starting to change. But there is still a lot more subjectivity in football than there is in baseball, at least in terms of statistics.

That said, I think that data and statistical analysis should be embraced. Wenger has done it for some time at Arsenal. Manchester City, and various other big clubs on the continent, do a lot of data analysis (amongst other things) when looking at recruiting players. FiveThirtyEight have tried world cup predictors based on stats. You just have to remember that with all data analysis, your outputs and results are only as strong as the data you put in. The more subjective the data, the less reliable the outcomes.

At this point, "Moneyball" is more of a buzz word than anything else.
  • Even Billy Beane explained that it was not just about stats, but also having other knowledgeable and experienced management who bought into the execution of the concept. That is where we fail spectacularly.
  • Maybe this explains the restaurant comparison we keep hearing since American sports arenas are essentially restaurants in which a sport happens to be taking place within.
  • You could argue that 'moneyball' has failed too. The Oakland A's haven't won a World Series or the AL pennant since the early 1990's, when they had one of the highest payrolls in baseball. After their owner Walter Haas died in 1995, the budget was slashed by the new owners, hence the need to do things on the cheap.

If you want to get by, 'moneyball' can work. If you want to compete, forget it.
  • Missed It said:

You could argue that 'moneyball' has failed too. The Oakland A's haven't won a World Series or the AL pennant since the early 1990's, when they had one of the highest payrolls in baseball. After their owner Walter Haas died in 1995, the budget was slashed by the new owners, hence the need to do things on the cheap.

If you want to get by, 'moneyball' can work. If you want to compete, forget it.

::Doffs cap for baseball knowledge::

Even at its most successful, the "Moneyball" era had a ceiling. But I think to be fair the success is in making a middling team more successful than it should be based on various factors (like revenue and budget). As per usual, we need only to look to a team like Watford to see how successful the network model can be, with, as @Weegie Addick points out, very good scouting in addition to statistics. If you look at Southampton and their youth development network, you can see how successful that model can be. A similar case could be made for Swansea, a well run club with good recruitment, decent youth policy, and most importantly a system and way of playing and hiring staff (players and managers) who fit into that system.
  • Do you think our "Euro Scout" is actually a 13 year old on play station?
  • trebor400 said:

Do you think our "Euro Scout" is actually a 13 year old on play station?

That'd be awful, I'm a 30 year old who reads all the hipster football books and publications and I have a play station and can download Footy Manager if offered the job!

If anyone from the club reads this, DM me, we'll talk.
  • Sorry SDAddick you are to old and might want wages!
  • Sponsored links:

• Naby Sarr came from Sporting :wink:

How's Warburton done since he left Brentford? :blush: #MagicHat
  • I'd rather have Eartha Kitt managing.
  • This is all a mistake. Obviously someone has seen me at the Valley and been fooled by the resemblance!
  • Warburton was powered by the moneyball idea as far as I recall. My Brentford-supporting colleague was raving about it, so much so that he didn't expect Warburton to be particularly special elsewhere.
  • I met Billy Beane once ... Was a speaker at a conference I was running. Not everyday you meet someone portrayed by Brad Pitt.... Anyway, name........dropped.
  • I met Billy Beane once ... Was a speaker at a conference I was running. Not everyday you meet someone portrayed by Brad Pitt.... Anyway, name........dropped.

::Clang clang clang::

Oh here @KiwiValley, let me just pick up that name you just dropped ;)
  • The problem with trying to take a moneyball approach to football is that there is, in my opinion, a limit to what stats can tell you. It's a game of continuous play.

Baseball is essentially a series of 1 on 1 duels between a batter and a pitcher. You can measure every situation, and when you have enough examples, you can make some assumptions. Can someone hit a left handed fastball pitcher in a day game? Does he hit better at night? The range of situational stats is endless, right down to how they play on their birthday.

In football, what common thing can you compare?

They are trying this in hockey, but nobody can agree what the stats really tell you.