Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nomanative determinism

It's the term given to a person who ends up in a job that is closely-related to his name. In other words, someone ending up with a career he seemed pre-destined for, due to his name being relevant to that job.

Real examples (and I promise you these are all real) include the women's 400m hurdles runner from Bulgaria Miss V Stambolova; the President and CEO of "Food for the Poor", Robin Mahfood; the retired TV weather presenter, Storm Field; the US Republican candidate, Rich White (could only have been Republican, right?); the gynaecologist, Dr Harry Beaver; the police officer from St Paul in the United States, Sgt Paul Paulos; and the New York lawyer from the firm Sullivan and Cromwell, Sue Yoo.

So, for anyone who knows the old Jim Davidson joke about Charlton's real name, it can be no surprise that Charlton are interviewing someone called Knill for the Assistant Manager's job.

Any others?

Comments

• Katrien Meire. She's a f*cking mare.
  • edited May 2016
    Did see a Dr De'Ath listed in a Hospital a few years back.
  • Just seen " marine biologist " Steve Haddock with David Attenbourgh!
  • One of my favourites was in the wildlife protection unit for the Hertfordshire Constabulary a few years back.
    The unit was run by DS Cull.

There's also the firm of solicitors: Wright Hassell
  • There is still a butchers in Bromsgrove
    Badham and Grizzle
  • edited May 2016
    Uboat said:

Stan Cunt, who played for Millwall in the 50s.

Wasn't Stan, it was his cousin, Waddock.
  • Sanctimonius Twat, he posts on here under another name... OR I might of just made that up!
  • Jay Walker, traffic reporter here in Baltimore.
  • Sponsored links:

• My friend (genuinely... as in it was my friend and not me, and it's real) went to an arse-doctor called Asad Butt
  • I remember Captain Salt from HMS Sheffield in the Falklands War. I was also a juror at the Old Bailey in a case being tried by Judge Judge who later went on to be Lord Chief Justice and head of the Judiciary.

... and finally, I recall a very un pc joke containing a dentist called Phil McCafferty. I will keep the joke to myself - although I'm sure you can make one up, if need be.
  • Irish dentist, Phil McCavity
  • I see this guy was on Attenborough's show tonight: http://www.mbari.org/haddock-steven/
  • ENT medic .. Doctor Patient .. a k a ... bedside manner
    Ilford accountant .. Stephen Fiddler
    Ex Tough England defender ... Terry Butcher
  • Irish dentist, Phil McCavity

Not sure that's a real one though
  • McBobbin said:

My friend (genuinely... as in it was my friend and not me, and it's real) went to an arse-doctor called Asad Butt

An "arse doctor"?
  • Chizz said:

McBobbin said:

My friend (genuinely... as in it was my friend and not me, and it's real) went to an arse-doctor called Asad Butt

An "arse doctor"?
    Proctologist, what a career choice.
  • limeygent said:

Chizz said:

McBobbin said:

An "arse doctor"?
    Proctologist, what a career choice.
    That's the word I was looking for :)
  • Don't know if still practising , but for many years there was a Dentist in St Paul's Cray called Pullar.

Also there is a NHS Urologist in Bromley - Miss Nurse. If she had not decided to become a surgeon she would have spent her medical career being known as Dr Nurse. Consequently if any siblings decided upon a nursing career they would be Nurse Nurse.
  • Sponsored links:

• I heard that Paul Dickov is a bit of a ....
  • There was a Sgt Slaughter on my Afghanistan deployment.
  • My first dentist was a Mr Pullar.
  • Sorry,just seen the earlier post by Cherryorchard.
    I still have most of my teeth so he wasn't too bad.
  • Paige Turner, the librarian.
  • edited May 2016
    When I worked for the global services firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, there was an American partner, a Mr Rich Boss.
  • Golfer .. Gary (what a) Player
  • When I was young, I was having it away with a girl and two people walked in on us. It was my Auntie Climax and her friend Curtis Interrutpus.
  • Peter Bowler .. cricketer .. more of a batting all rounder though