Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Big Sam it is!

Comments

• Did they even interview Eddie Howe?

If Sam can motivate/frighten the team into performing the way they do at club level, he'll do. Best of a mediocre candidate list.
  • would have been my choice so i am happy
  • edited July 2016
    Just saw on BBC that they expect him to be appointed within 24 hours.

From my point of view, in terms of English managers, there clearly aren't many to choose from, but Big Sam has made a habit of getting the best out of players over a prolonged period. I think he is a much better manager than Steve Bruce, who seemed to be the other favoured candidate, so I'm glad they've made the right choice out of the two.

There are probably better candidates out there, but I'm happy to back Allardyce, he can't be worse than some of the others that have held the job over the years.
  • Pleased considering the options
  • edited July 2016
    I mean he made the most sense of the four candidates, but it just shows how poorly run the FA is that Howe, Allardyce, Bruce, and somehow Jurgen Klinsmann were the four candidates. A lot of American soccer lovers would have loved for him to get the job. His selections are at times puzzling and his tactics range from unclear to nonexistent.

I think the players who play under some of the best managers in the world--those at City, Chelsea, and now Liverpool, will look at his tactics and methods and chortle. He's not the tactical dinosaur some people, including myself, at times make him out to be. But I don't think he's fit for purpose.

Out of work managers I would have ahead of him:
    Bielsa
    Blanc
    Hiddink
    Pellegrinni
    Bielsa
    Van Gaal
    Rudi Garcia
    Tim Sherwood--no just kidding that'd be ridiculous for anyone to hire him to manage.
  • Differen coach, same shit
  • Fits with the two long ball merchants in under 19s and 21s
  • Sponsored links:

• Past caring.
  • edited July 2016
    SDAddick said:

I mean he made the most sense of the four candidates, but it just shows how poorly run the FA is that Howe, Allardyce, Bruce, and somehow Jurgen Klinsmann were the four candidates. A lot of American soccer lovers would have loved for him to get the job. His selections are at times puzzling and his tactics range from unclear to nonexistent.

I think the players who play under some of the best managers in the world--those at City, Chelsea, and now Liverpool, will look at his tactics and methods and chortle. He's not the tactical dinosaur some people, including myself, at times make him out to be. But I don't think he's fit for purpose.

Bielsa
    Blanc
    Hiddink
    Pellegrinni
    Bielsa
    Van Gaal
    Rudi Garcia
    Tim Sherwood--no just kidding that'd be ridiculous for anyone to hire him to manage.

Whilst I like many of your suggestions, you can throw Van Gaal in with Tim Sherwood in my opinion. There was a time I would've jumped at Van Gaal, but I think his light went out a number of years ago.
  • At the committee meeting of the blazers at the FA,
    They all agreed they wanted a big man for the job.

I guess that's why Steve Bruce and Sam were the main guys.

Steve Evans turned down the job first my source inside the FA informs me.

Good luck big Sam you will be better once we get to a finals as you won't change tactics and screw up the mind of the players like uncle Roy.
    Every player will know his job.
  • edited July 2016

Never mind Carol, this fella is not happy;
  • IMO we need someone who is patriotic for wanting England to succeed, I don't think foreigners offer this, so the likes of klinsmann shouldn't even be considered for the job nowadays. I think that allardyce is the best candidate at the moment from a mediocre list, Howe is too young and would probably be best to continue his development at club level.
  • edited July 2016
    I think it's a good appointment. As sad as it is to say, our players aren't nearly as good as they (and half the country) thinks they are. Big Sam will forge a team that will fight for the shirt. At the very least, I can't see being knocked out by an Iceland or Costa Rica at a major tournament under him... but then it's the England way to do so. :-)
  • Good appointment. I'm happy with Sam.

What could possibly go wrong ?

• Yeah, I'm happy with that, he's probably got a bit more 'bite' than the last few.

Good luck Sam
  • Sponsored links:

Boothroyd, Southgate and Allardyce. How the hell did it come to this?

That said, i don't think Allardyce can do any worse than Hodgson and McClaren, and i think i'm past caring now anyway. The problem with our national team goes way beyond simply blaming and then changing the manager.
  • edited July 2016
    Edit that, I had a moment.

It is mental though.
  • SDAddick said:

Bielsa
    Blanc
    Hiddink
    Pellegrinni
    Bielsa
    Van Gaal
    Rudi Garcia

Mate Id be devastated if we had any of them.

Tried a top foreign coach, didn't work.

Need someone who aint gonna take any shit in the changing room, not be afraid to drop players if under performing and havea game plan where players know their jobs.

Players should be frightened of their place and the manager.

I can't believe Bothroyd is involved but I watched the U19 games so far in their tournament and they've got a lot of flair going forward and look steady at the back
  • I like Big Sam. Be interesting to see how he takes this on, his dream job.

Good luck to him.

I can't believe Bothroyd is involved but I watched the U19 games so far in their tournament and they've got a lot of flair going forward and look steady at the back
    Should have sent them to the Euros then, complete opposite of the Senior side.
  • English manager ? Both his parents are Scottish .
  • edited July 2016

SDAddick said:

Bielsa
    Blanc
    Hiddink
    Pellegrinni
    Bielsa
    Van Gaal
    Rudi Garcia

Need someone who aint gonna take any shit in the changing room, not be afraid to drop players if under performing and havea game plan where players know their jobs.

But not all foreign managers are the same. And Big Sam has his favorites too. I'm really looking forward to Defoe knocking it down for Kevin Nolan to score.

I think England have some excellent young players, with a handful more coming through at U-19 and U-21 levels now. Think they're going to waste two years with Allardyce in charge.
  • Just an interim appointment till Wilmots is ready.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Bielsa
    Blanc
    Hiddink
    Pellegrinni
    Bielsa
    Van Gaal
    Rudi Garcia

But not all foreign managers are the same. And Big Sam has his favorites too. I'm really looking forward to Defoe knocking it down for Kevin Nolan to score.

I think England have some excellent young players, with a handful more coming through at U-19 and U-21 levels now. Think they're going to waste two years with Allardyce in charge.
    yep, possibly right, however, I think Sam could be more a of a Venables role, someone who joined in with the banter, let the players let their hair down, was one of the lads when needed and boss when needed.

The England Squads and sides for the past maybe 16 years look like they are bored, shit scared of losing, don't want the ball.

I think the enjoyment needs to get back into the squad and maybe Big sam could bring that