Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would have been their birthday today...

Comments

• Joe Pantoliano 1951

Barry White 1944
  • Barry Sheene. Born Sept. 11th 1950. Died in March 2003
  • One of the originators, the first "pop star" - Hank Williams, born today 1923.
  • James Gandolfini would have been 55 today.

Like most on this thread, went far too young.
  • Can't believe it was missed but Roald Dahl would have been 100 on 13/09/2016!

The small girl smiles. One eyelid flickers.
    She whips a pistol from her knickers.
    She aims it at the creature's head
    And bang bang bang, she shoots him dead
  • Johnny Dankworth (Sir) would have been 89 today
  • Sir Jimmy Young celebrates his 95th birthday today.
  • Happy birthday to the very old grey whistle test.
  • Ray Charles was born 23rd September 1930.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2016
    Typhoid Mary would have been 147. No one else would be alive though.
  • The late great Marc Bolan born this day in 1947.
  • Jimmy "Jinky" Johnstone would have been 72 yesterday
  • Eddie Cochran would have been 78 today.
  • I was recently given a book "Charlton Athletic - A nostalgic look at a century of the club". It's taken from the archives of the Mirror and is by Michael Walsh. Keith Peacock had a hand in it including writing the Foreword and there were many others involved. A goldmine of photos going back to 1905 and special mention of Charlton legends through the years and their profiles including birthdays.

Much interesting information too in "Charlton Athletic
    On This Day" by Matthew Eastley which also goes back to the early years as well as bringing us up to 2011.

Chizz, this thread is specifically for those who have passed on but many of the more recent players are still with us thankfully. Would you like me to include them here or should I start another thread for Living Legends?

• I was recently given a book "Charlton Athletic - A nostalgic look at a century of the club". It's taken from the archives of the Mirror and is by Michael Walsh. Keith Peacock had a hand in it including writing the Foreword and there were many others involved. A goldmine of photos going back to 1905 and special mention of Charlton legends through the years and their profiles including birthdays.

On This Day" by Matthew Eastley which also goes back to the early years as well as bringing us up to 2011.

Chizz, this thread is specifically for those who have passed on but many of the more recent players are still with us thankfully. Would you like me to include them here or should I start another thread for Living Legends?

I love the idea of celebrating "Living Legends". It would be a shame to bury them (no pun intended) in a thread covering other people.
  • Chizz said:

Happy birthday Freddie - would have been 70 today.

I can't believe he would be 70. Getting older is strange, it's as if my age doesn't change so I'm surprised when other people do (if that makes any sense). I still feel 25 until I catch sight of myself in those bloody mirrors in shops.
    Same here.
  • Charlton Heston born this day 1924.
  • Sponsored links:

• 80 years ago today the battle of Cable st

They shall not pass
  • Eddie Cochran 3rd October 1938 (I know, I missed it by a day!).

Amazing to think he was only 21 when he died.
  • Sputnik 1 1957
    с днем ​​рождения
  • Chizz said:

I was recently given a book "Charlton Athletic - A nostalgic look at a century of the club". It's taken from the archives of the Mirror and is by Michael Walsh. Keith Peacock had a hand in it including writing the Foreword and there were many others involved. A goldmine of photos going back to 1905 and special mention of Charlton legends through the years and their profiles including birthdays.

I love the idea of celebrating "Living Legends". It would be a shame to bury them (no pun intended) in a thread covering other people.
    Totally agree and really enjoy your thread here. Keeps my mind off all the dire goings on at the moment (well almost)

• TOMMY CATON
    born 6 October 1962
    died 30 April 1993

"The football world was stunned and deeply saddened to learn of the death of Charlton player Tommy Caton at the age of just 30. Caton arrived at Charlton from Oxford United in November 1988 and, as a teenager, had been considered one of the finest prospects of his generation. He began at Manchester City before making a big-money move to Arsenal in November 1983. His career at Charlton was curtailed by a series of foot operations. His death was deeply felt at Charlton and manager Alan Curbishley said: "None of us can believe it. Although he couldn't play football any more, he was still a naturally fit man"
    from "Charlton Athletic on this Day" by Matthew Eastley

Tommy Caton transferred to the Addicks for 100,000 in 1988 from Oxford to stay playing in the top division. He stayed with us after relegation in 1990 but was injured the following January from which he never really recovered. He retired in March 1993 and died from a sudden heart attack soon after.
  • Only the other .day I was watching a replay of Ricky Villa's goal against City in the FA Cup final replay and Tommy was playing .
  • Only the other .day I was watching a replay of Ricky Villa's goal against City in the FA Cup final replay and Tommy was playing .

There were quite a few soon-to-be Addicks in that match. As well as Tommy Caton, Steve MacKenzie, Paul Miller and Garth Crooks all later signed.
  • Saga Lout said:

Eddie Cochran 3rd October 1938 (I know, I missed it by a day!).

Amazing to think he was only 21 when he died.

That's why I mentioned it on the day... :wink:
  • edited October 2016
    George Brown, cricketer (legendary England batsman/keeper of 20's)

would have been 127
  • Joe Frazier born on this day 1944