Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oxford v Charlton | Sat 24 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Oxford United v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 24th September 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Keith Stroud (Seriously!!)

Introduction

With the Football season well under way now the games are coming thick and fast… Fresh from a deserved draw against Scunthorpe United on Tuesday night, the Addicks (now level on matches played with the rest of the League) continue their season with a trip to Oxfordshire.

Once again this Weekend we find ourselves playing against a side who were two leagues below us last term yet as proven in our other two matches against ex-League Two opposition that means absolutely nothing when you’re in the same league… This Saturday sees us play Oxford United; it won’t be easy partly because of our referee selection yet there is a stark reality that the Addicks have faltered slightly, we’re still in September so there is a long way to go yet three points could push us right back into the mix.

The Opposition
Name: Oxford United | Manager: Michael Appleton
Ground: Kassam Stadium

As already mentioned our opposition were a League Two team last season and having finished second in the League, finally made a return to League One Football… Its not be an easy return though, Oxford were last in the third tier 15-years ago and that time wasn’t completely spent in League Two.

Relegation to the Conference for four long years followed yet the club managed to slam the breaks on a club going downhill fast and steadied the ship, Oxford were promoted back to League Two in 2010 and in 2014 the club hired Charlton Legend: Michael Appleton as Manager, the first year under his management wasn’t brilliant yet last season saw the U’s finally return to League One and reach the final of the Football League Trophy (which they ultimately lost to Barnsley).

Appleton constantly mocked after “brief” spells at Blackburn and Blackpool is slowly re-building his reputation and is doing it well, a point above Charlton they are and the fact they were a Non-League team only a little while ago means nothing, three points won’t be assured.

Charlton Team News
Of course the big news that came out prior to Scunthorpe was that Ricky Holmes was absent due to a back injury whilst Lee Novak was also missing due to illness, when the weekly press conference happens later today we may get an indication on whether either player is fit…

Having kept a clean sheet on Tuesday, it’ll be difficult to drop Patrick Bauer from the starting line up so Ezri Konsa may be consigned to the bench once more. We faced the league leader’s last time out so a cautious 4-5-1 formation was played yet up against opposition we should be beating this weekend, you’d expect to see a return to Slade’s favoured: 4-4-2 which may see Nick Ajose return to the starting eleven.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Fox
Foley | Ulvestad | Crofts | Jackson
Lookman | Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lennon | Konsa | Botaka | Ajose | Chicksen | Hanlan

Prediction
Oxford have made a steady start to life back in League One and like Tuesdays opposition have begun with an impressive home record, the U’s are yet to lose at home (drawing just once) so three points won’t be easy but surely these are the games we need to win and be ruthless at if we want promotion?

Comments

• Options
    Bit early to be on the sauce mate?
  • Options
    Novak will start if fit ;)
  • Options
    With Bauer in the team we will become the League 1 version of George Grahams Arsenal. Win to Nil for Charlton
  • Options
    1-2 win for the Addicks, Lookman and Magennis
  • Options
    0-1, rare goal for big Josh.
  • Options

Comfortable away win 4-0.

Sure we beat them 4-0 at the old Manor ground, a week or two before we played Man Utd in cup match.
  • Options
    if we don't win it will be a poor result. purely because we're now 8 games in and have only won twice. not good enough for promotion, it needs to start on Saturday without exception
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

if we don't win it will be a poor result. purely because we're now 8 games in and have only won twice. not good enough for promotion, it needs to start on Saturday without exception

Fair point!
  • Options
    I think RS will go for it on Saturday

It'll be interesting whether Holmes and Watson Novak are available, as with them back, we actually have quite a strong looking 1st 11 and bench
  • Options
    0-0 and we go on a run of eight 0-0s in a row.

Will mirror the game at Selhurst in the 80s which also finished 0-0 and was the most boring game ever.
  • Options
    2-1 charlton as predicted by me Tuesday before the scunny game our season has started.
  • Options
    with Bauer back perhaps Slade will be a bit more adventurous .. BUT I doubt very much if he will be .. unchanged from Tuesday I would wager, though I would play Holmes, if fit, for Foley .. Oxford is another wannabe club with a lot of potential .. it won't be easy but I fancy a streaky win for us ..

Oxford United 0 v CAFC 1
  • Options
    Got a good feeling about this one.

3-2 win for The Addicks ( Jackson , Lookman & Pearce)
  • Options
    1-1 (Ulvestad)
  • Options
    If Holmes plays 1-2...without 1-1
  • Options
    Imagine the only change will be Holmes if fit, don't know for who though. Got to play for a win not a draw, I'll say 2-0 to us, Lookman and Jackson. Hopefully be a good atmosphere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jaw dropping spellbinding 1-1
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Away fans sold out and first away one I've managed to get to this season. After a clean sheet at Scunthorpe, he'll leave the defence alone. Think Holmes is likely to come in for Foley, as long as he's fit. Otherwise I can't see much change. Ajose, Novak and Botaka are very good options coming on from the bench.

With the ball I think Lookman and Holmes will take it in turns to go and be the number 10, without I see them going out wide to make it 5 across the middle.

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Pearce Fox
    Holmes Crofts Ulvestad Jackson
    Lookman
    Magennis

Phillips, Konsa, Lennon, Foley, Botaka, Novak, Ajose

Another clean sheet, 2-0 Magennis and Holmes.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    2-4 away win. Jackson and Lookman with 2 each.
  • Options
    0-1 magennis
  • Options
    Would like to see Botaka start.
    Rudd
    Solly Pearce BFG Fox
    Holmes Crofts Ulvestad JB
    Magennis Lookman
  • Options

2-4 away win. Jackson and Lookman with 2 each.

You're on drugs.
  • Options
    3-1 Bauer, Jackson, and Botaka with the last kick of the match on 97 minutes
  • Options
    Oxford 0-3 Charlton, Janet Jackson, Kim Novak and Kelly Holmes.
  • Options
    I predicted a draw on Tuesday, albeit 1-1, I'm thinking we may get a 2-0 victory tomorrow, but in the hope that Holmes is back, if not maybe another draw. Match thread from 1.45.