Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

The October international break is clearly a chance to wield the axe

First Di Matteo gets the push from Villa, and now Guidolin has been replaced at Swansea by Bob Bradley

To me it all seems terribly early in the season to make changes...For reference, we sacked Dowie on the 13th November

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/6145292.stm

Comments

• Shows how much the game's changed since then. I remember when Dowie was sacked all the press reports were talking about how crazy it was to sack a manager after only 12 games.

Football supporters and pundits in this country used to mock the likes of Spain and Italy for their high turnover of managers but it's exactly the same here now, surprised it's taken this long for the first high profile departures. Moyes must be looking over his shoulder already, especially now Big Sam's available again.
  • MrLargo said:

Shows how much the game's changed since then. I remember when Dowie was sacked all the press reports were talking about how crazy it was to sack a manager after only 12 games.

Football supporters and pundits in this country used to mock the likes of Spain and Italy for their high turnover of managers but it's exactly the same here now, surprised it's taken this long for the first high profile departures. Moyes must be looking over his shoulder already, especially now Big Sam's available again.

Not if he gets a ban.
  • edited October 2016
    I think Slade needs to go. I was concerned about what I saw of him before he joined us, but he made some decent signings and said the right things and I was happy to give him a chance. But he has shown that he has no flair when it comes to team selection and in game managment and it won't change. The midfield is total rubbish, but he won't even consider Ba. Ok Ba's attitude probably stinks, but get him in the office and motivate him. Same with Texeira. We need to play our best players.

I know if Slade was reading this he would smile and shake his head as what do we know about football compared to him. But what he knows is outdated and negative. Yes, he has qulaities but the negatives superceed them. The team he needs to put out for our next league game - injuries permitting is, Rudd, Fox, Texiera, Bauer, Solly, Ulvestad, Ba, Holmes,Botaka, Lookman and Magennis. Now I may not know as much about football as the mighty Slade, but I do know that would be a team that would do well at this level. At least play it until the next window when the problems can be fixed. He won't and should be replaced with somebody who will.
  • I think Slade needs to go. I was concerned about what I saw of him before he joined us, but he made some decent signings and said the right things and I was happy to give him a chance. But he has shown that he has no flair when it comes to team selection and in game managment and it won't change. The midfield is total rubbish, but he won't even consider Ba. Ok Ba's attitude probably stinks, but get him in the office and motivate him. Same with Texeira. We need to play our best players.

I know if Slade was reading this he would smile and shake his head as what do we know about football compared to him. But what he knows is outdated and negative. Yes, he has qulaities but the negatives superceed them. The team he needs to put out for our next league game - injuries permitting is, Rudd, Fox, Texiera, Bauer, Solly, Ulvestad, Ba, Holmes,Botaka, Lookman and Magennis. Now I may not know as much about football as the mighty Slade, but I do know that would be a team that would do well at this level. At least play it until the next window when teh problems can be fixed. He won't and should be replaced with somebody who will.

Agreed with this post until I saw the name "Ba"
  • Les Reed or Karel Fraeye? who was worse?
  • edited October 2016
    This is league one mate. Of course Ba can play at this level. He wouldn't be my first choice if there were options, but he would give us more enrgy than Crofts, Foley or sadly JJ can. It is what the midfield needs and you have to take it from what is available.
  • Moyes won't last long.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Bob Bradley is an odd choice for Swansea. I mean it's not odd when you consider they're now majority owned by an American consortium. But he's been coaching in Europe for a couple years in Norway and League Deux without anything of real note from what I can tell.

He did alright with the States. His teams were at times very rigid, and looked to hit on the counter or from set pieces. They were tactically limited, and Bradley went through a stretch of having to make changes at half time due to getting his initial tactics wrong.

Until recently, Swansea had a brilliant record of bringing in managers that coached to the ethos of the way the club wanted to play football--possession based (Martinez, Sousa, Rodger, Laudrup). Guidolin seemed to change that pattern to some degree, although I thought Swansea were very good against Liverpool and Manchester City--and helped provide the blueprint for Spurs beating the latter at the weekend. Bradley doesn't fit that mold. He's a very bright, articulate man--Princeton educated. But I don't think this ends well.

I know nothing about Bradley but reading your post I think he is indeed a very odd appointment. Over the past few years I've watched some Swansea games live and they've been brilliant every time. If this appointment goes wrong, they could end up in the relegation zone come next May.
  • SDAddick said:

Bob Bradley is an odd choice for Swansea. I mean it's not odd when you consider they're now majority owned by an American consortium. But he's been coaching in Europe for a couple years in Norway and League Deux without anything of real note from what I can tell.

He did alright with the States. His teams were at times very rigid, and looked to hit on the counter or from set pieces. They were tactically limited, and Bradley went through a stretch of having to make changes at half time due to getting his initial tactics wrong.

Until recently, Swansea had a brilliant record of bringing in managers that coached to the ethos of the way the club wanted to play football--possession based (Martinez, Sousa, Rodger, Laudrup). Guidolin seemed to change that pattern to some degree, although I thought Swansea were very good against Liverpool and Manchester City--and helped provide the blueprint for Spurs beating the latter at the weekend. Bradley doesn't fit that mold. He's a very bright, articulate man--Princeton educated. But I don't think this ends well.

I know nothing about Bradley but reading your post I think he is indeed a very odd appointment. Over the past few years I've watched some Swansea games live and they've been brilliant every time. If this appointment goes wrong, they could end up in the relegation zone come next May.
    It smacks of new owners panicking over being relegated and losing the pot of gold. I agree with SDAddick's comment about continuity, Swansea were very good at appointing people who played a similar style of football, and I don't know if Bradley had similar ideas
  • SDAddick said:

Yeah I've always had a soft spot for them as well, not just because they play good football, but because they're clearly a well run, partially supporter-owned club. For all we talk about AFC Wimbledon as a potential model, which they may be, I'd much rather we go the Swansea route if given the choice where we have a fans consortium have an actual stake in the club to ensure that we are always represented at board level and in large decisions.

Yeah the more I think about it the odder Bradley he. Again, he is very, very bright, very articulate, and I read something this morning that Huw Jenkins was quite impressed by him. The man does speak well. But again, the styles just don't seem to match.
  • I think Slade needs to go. I was concerned about what I saw of him before he joined us, but he made some decent signings and said the right things and I was happy to give him a chance. But he has shown that he has no flair when it comes to team selection and in game managment and it won't change. The midfield is total rubbish, but he won't even consider Ba. Ok Ba's attitude probably stinks, but get him in the office and motivate him. Same with Texeira. We need to play our best players.

I know if Slade was reading this he would smile and shake his head as what do we know about football compared to him. But what he knows is outdated and negative. Yes, he has qulaities but the negatives superceed them. The team he needs to put out for our next league game - injuries permitting is, Rudd, Fox, Texiera, Bauer, Solly, Ulvestad, Ba, Holmes,Botaka, Lookman and Magennis. Now I may not know as much about football as the mighty Slade, but I do know that would be a team that would do well at this level. At least play it until the next window when the problems can be fixed. He won't and should be replaced with somebody who will.

The worrying thing is we go up against Coventry next, another team I think will hardly destroy us. That will be 12 games in and so far I haven't feared any of them. If Slade can't get us a win against Coventry, big worries for me
  • cabbles said:

I think Slade needs to go. I was concerned about what I saw of him before he joined us, but he made some decent signings and said the right things and I was happy to give him a chance. But he has shown that he has no flair when it comes to team selection and in game managment and it won't change. The midfield is total rubbish, but he won't even consider Ba. Ok Ba's attitude probably stinks, but get him in the office and motivate him. Same with Texeira. We need to play our best players.

The worrying thing is we go up against Coventry next, another team I think will hardly destroy us. That will be 12 games in and so far I haven't feared any of them. If Slade can't get us a win against Coventry, big worries for me
    I've gotta say mate you are being very PATIENT :wink: .
  • RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

You wait until Tim Sherwood gets the gig, then see how patient he is.
  • cabbles said:

Well he couldn't get us a win against Oldham and they're bottom so why should Coventry be any different?
  • RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

I just can't see another managerial change doing us any good. But then we can't continue to play the way we're playing. The only good thing to come from a managerial change will be more evidence that KM hasn't got a clue. But the bad thing is they'll spin it and say 'we gave you an English manager' etc

Who knows
  • Sponsored links:

• Trollope sacked by Cardiff
  • edited October 2016
    surprising .. taken from y'day's 'Times' .. I paraphrase .. Andy Hessenthaler's sacking after 52 days was the longest way into a season for 50 years ..
    previous 'record' was held by Glyn Davies who was sacked by Swansea 60 days into the 1966/67 season .. Swansea have also been quick off the mark this season ..
  • The place is getting increasingly more toxic. JJ given the role on a trial basis would at least change the mood.
  • shirty5 said:

Trollope sacked by Cardiff

The irony given our current situation with Slade. Cardiff move him upstairs after a "disappointing" 8th, appoint Trollope who doesn't consult Slade on footballing matters so he moves to us. And then Cardiff sack Trollope because they are now second to bottom.

And so the manager merry-go-round continues.
  • shirty5 said:

Trollope sacked by Cardiff

The irony given our current situation with Slade. Cardiff move him upstairs after a "disappointing" 8th, appoint Trollope who doesn't consult Slade on footballing matters so he moves to us. And then Cardiff sack Trollope because they are now second to bottom.

And so the manager merry-go-round continues.
    Slade needs to get back there and get a few much needed draws on the board for them.
    Lennie's available too as he was at the same time ;-)
  • I'd take Lennie Small at this juncture. Imagine the post-match interviews after a defeat - "I done another bad thing George!"

• Trollope becomes the third manager to be sacked by a Welsh club in the past seven days, following the dismissals of Swansea's Francesco Guidolin and Newport's Warren Feeney.
    I wonder where Lennie will go now? I'm amazed he's still prepared to be assistant boss at the age of 68
  • Neil Warnock is set to become Cardiff Manager