Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would have been their birthday today...

Comments

• Saga Lout said:

Eddie Cochran 3rd October 1938 (I know, I missed it by a day!).

Amazing to think he was only 21 when he died.

That's why I mentioned it on the day... :wink:
    How did I miss that?!
  • Can't believe it hasn't already been posted - but John Lennon (yes that one!) would have been 76 today (9th October 2016). A sad day when he was shot down. RIP.
  • John Winston Lennon (born 9th October 1940).
  • cafc-west said:

Can't believe it hasn't already been posted - but John Lennon (yes that one!) would have been 76 today (9th October 2016). A sad day when he was shot down. RIP.

For a whole generation a part of them died the day he was killed.
    As an Englishman I thought it was hugely more significant than JFK.
    "The Man of the 60's" - Dr. Desmond Morris
  • John Entwistle would have been 72 today.
  • BENNY FENTON
    Born 10 October 1918 in West Ham
    Died 29 July 2000 in Poole, aged 81

In an obituary in the Guardian Benny Fenton was described as the "quintessence of cockneyism". He and his older brother Ted began their careers at West Ham, Benny as an inside/centre forward. He played just 20 games for the Hammers during the war and joined Charlton in January 1947 but not in time to qualify for the FA Cup.

He played as a wing half for Charlton and in 1950/51 became captain. He was described as a wily player rather than a hard one, with quick responses and good feet.

He left Charlton in 1955 having made 264 appearances for Charlton and scoring 54 goals - to become player/manager at Colchester. He managed Leyton Orient in 1963/64 but his best years as manager were at Millwall where he served from 1966-1974.

Before his sacking in 1956/57 Jimmy Seed had recommended Fenton as the next Charlton Manager and was surprised when Jimmy Trotter was given the job.
  • Emily Davison born in 1872
    The suffragette who was killed at The Derby in 1913,
  • edited October 2016
    Alan McDonald the Northern Ireland centre half who joined us on loan from QPR would have been 53 today. Think he only played 9 games for us in 1983 but seem to remember him being well liked at the time.
  • Ramsay MacDonald, first Labour Party Prime Minister (remember those?). Born 12 October 1866. Died 9 November 1937.
  • Sponsored links:

• The great Luciano Pavarotti born this day 1935.

RIP maestro.
  • Alan McDonald the Northern Ireland centre half who joined us on loan from QPR would have been 53 today. Think he only played 9 games for us in 1983 but seem to remember him being well liked at the time.

I remember seeing him being interviewed on the pitch after NI had drawn 0 0 at Wembley to qualify for the WC. A lot of the crowd were singing it's a fix and he said something along the lines of "if anyone wants to come and tell me to my face it's a fix I'll put them straight, we worked bloody hard for that" He was livid.
  • Alan McDonald the Northern Ireland centre half who joined us on loan from QPR would have been 53 today. Think he only played 9 games for us in 1983 but seem to remember him being well liked at the time.

I remember seeing him being interviewed on the pitch after NI had drawn 0 0 at Wembley to qualify for the WC. A lot of the crowd were singing it's a fix and he said something along the lines of "if anyone wants to come and tell me to my face it's a fix I'll put them straight, we worked bloody hard for that" He was livid.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=14NUbMiazh0

The interview.
  • Margaret Thatcher born 1925.
  • Margaret Thatcher born 1925.

RIP
  • Lux Interior (The Cramps) would have been 70 today.
  • Lux Interior (The Cramps) would have been 70 today.

That's a pretty random flag? :smiley:
  • CatAddick said:

Sputnik 1 1957
    с днем ​​рождения

• Sponsored links:

• My Grandad:

Born 7 November 1902 Lambeth

Died 27 March 1964 Shooters Hill

• John Barnes

Shares a birthday with Marie Curie, Joni Mitchell and Trotsky

• Albert Camus "everything I know about morality and the obligations of men, I owe it to football".

Camus did not live to see the premier league.
  • JIMMY TROTTER
    Born 25 November 1899
    Died 17 April 1984 (84)

After his playing career finished - he played for Bury, Sheffield Wednesday and Watford - he joined Charlton as their trainer, a position he held for 22 years, as well as being trainer for the England national team. After Jimmy Seed's sacking he was appointed Manager in 1956 but was unable to prevent relegation in 1957. He was at the helm for the 7-6 win over Huddersfield. He came close to taking the Addicks back into the top flight that season, but we lost 3-4 to Blackburn in the final match of the season, when a draw would have been enough to take us up.

In October 1961 after a disastrous start to the season with eight defeats and just one win in the first 11 games, Jimmy Trotter was axed. The final straw for the directors was a 0-4 defeat at the Valley at the hands of Liverpool. However, with their usual "Stalinist" desire to gloss over unpalatable news Trotter - like Seed before him - was said to have resigned. Charlton historian Colin Cameron says "Fans expecting to find a tribute in the next programme were to be disappointed because the only action Charlton took was to delete his name as Manager". Quite why Charlton adopted this revisionist stance is unclear, but it would have been perfectly at home in George Orwell's "1984" - Charlton Athletic on this Day by Matthew Eastley
  • edited November 2016
    John F Kennedy jr born on this day in 1960.
  • John F Kennedy born on this day in 1960.

Not 'the' JFK
  • John F Kennedy born on this day in 1960.

And shot just 3 years later.
  • JOHN HEWIE
    Born Pretoria on 13 December 1927
    died Lincolnshire 11 May 2015 age 88
    Played for Charlton between 1946-66
    Capped 19 times for Scotland 1956-60

Jimmy Seed knew a good player when he saw one and was positively effusive in his praise of 23 year old debutant John Hewie - "Hewie ranks as one of the finest backs I've ever seen. He has everything, physical and mental, a great footballer needs".

Apart from a fleeting spell back in South Africa during 1960, John Hewie remained an Addick until 1966, when he departed at the age of 38, having played 530 games and contributed 38 goals for his only English League club. He was Charlton's most capped player at the time of his retirement.

He was a total footballer long before the term was coined. The tall resilient South Africa-born Scottish international played for Charlton in nine different positions, including goalkeeper, aquitting himself in arguably his most effective role, as full-back, during the World Cup Finals.

He became a regular first-choice player in 1951-52, helping an entertaining Charlton finish in the top half of the then First Division. For the next five seasons he was one of the most reliable performers in the top flight helping Charlton during their best season 1952-53 when they came fifth behind champions Arsenal. Scotland became aware of his eligibility through his Scottish father and when he made his Scottish debut in a B-team game at Edinburgh in 1953 Hewie recounted with a chuckle it was the first time he had set foot in the country.

From The Independent of Monday, 13 July 2015