Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Campbell-Ryce / Jason Lee

edited October 2016 in General Charlton
Clutching for this weeks CAFC connection on this weeks @CharltonLive match preview...!

Any stories/memories of Jamal Campbell-Royce and/or Jason Lee would be appreciated, or if you have any other connections!? Granted neither had prolonged careers here, but wanted to do past players instead of current ones (Ajose/Novak).....

Comments

• edited October 2016
    I used to watch the youth team a lot when Jason Lee played upfront with Gordon Watson,the best front pairing i have seen at that level.
  • Jason Lee's hairstyling prompted the occasional comparison to a tropical fruit.
  • Jesus... Memories of Campbell-Ryce that wont be easy after just three appearances for the club
  • Jason Lee winked at me from the dugout once when I waved at him. That's all I got.
  • McBobbin said:

Favourite Jason Lee story was him scoring the third as we came back from 4-2 down against Norwich, before Leaaaaaaaabuurrrrnn grabbed the equaliser. One of the most exciting games I've seen.

Also, he was good in the air and had two left feet

Remember that like it was yesterday. Sweaty Balmer got sent off in the first half, we went one up from a free kick, they equalised, we scored an identical free kick (Robson and Kinsella?) and then they scored again just before half time (I think). Two goals from that little cunt Darren Eadie in the second half and it looked like game over. The pineapple completely changed the game - pinging balls into the box and they just couldn't deal with him

Best game I'd seen at the valley for years
  • Jason Lee played in our only youth cup final I believe.
    He featured in a documentary too I seem to remember.
  • Are they both in the long list of "played for us, scored against us" players?
    Surprised Campbell Rice only played 3 times for us, remember seeing him come through and thinking he was going to be a decent player.

Wasnt his debut against Crystal Palace in the famous 2-2?
  • Did Jason Lee score in a victory over Palace? That Norwich game is a good memory...
  • Sponsored links:

• Campbell-Ryce provided the cross for Paulo Di Canio's only open play goal for Charlton.....last minute header v Luton.
  • edited October 2016
    Simonsen said:

Campbell-Ryce provided the cross for Paulo Di Canio's only open play goal for Charlton.....last minute header v Luton.

Was that the League Cup tie that finished 3-3 or 4-4 and went to penalties?

Almost a carbon copy of the Sunderland Play-Off final the order the goals were going in
  • Simonsen said:

Campbell-Ryce provided the cross for Paulo Di Canio's only open play goal for Charlton.....last minute header v Luton.

Was that the League Cup tie that finished 3-3 or 4-4 and went to penalties?

Almost a carbon copy of the Sunderland Play-Off final the order the goals were going in
    That's the one.

For all his intelligent play and influence, Di Canio rarely threatened to score. A case in point that it doesn't matter who scores the goals as long as someone does.
  • HandG said:

Did Jason Lee score in a victory over Palace? That Norwich game is a good memory...

Yep, him and Robinson, 2-1 to us. First victory over the stripeys for about 12 years, and the start of an unbeaten run that lasted until September 2008.
  • i remember going to a reserve game at the valley and watching Campbell Ryce getting sent off after a 11 vs 11 mass brawl broke out.was quite funny to watch
  • Jamal Campbell Ryce put in one of the best individual performances from a winger in a Charlton shirt I've ever seen. Just a shame it was a pre season friendly against Welling!
  • Are they both in the long list of "played for us, scored against us" players?
    Surprised Campbell Rice only played 3 times for us, remember seeing him come through and thinking he was going to be a decent player.

Wasnt his debut against Crystal Palace in the famous 2-2?
    I think that might have been Lloyd Sam.
  • The best I can come up with is Lawrie Madden who had spells at both clubs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrie_Madden

Leon Clarke and John Vaughan also played for Chestefield
  • Sponsored links:

• Jamal Campbell-Ryce, back in the day when double barrelled surnames were a rarity!

JCR was one of those players who came through during our PL days, and was never good enough for that level BUT would have been a regular if he's come though 5 years later once we'd dropped down. Looking at Wiki, I'm surprised that he hasn't played for Jamaica since 2009, as he seemed to do well for them and is still only 33.

• Jason Lee scored against Palace in the game that Petterson made that save
  • HandG said:

Campbell Ryce made his debut away at Blackburn i think and about three people behind me sang, to the tune of Tiger Feet:

"That's Ryce, that's Ryce, that's Ryce, that's Ryce, that's Jamal Campbell-Ryce!"

I was gutted he never made more of an impact at Charlton because that song was a winner.

I'm still peeved that nobody went for my "Johnny B Gud" suggestion for Johann Berg Gudmundsson
  • AshBurton said:

Jason Lee's hairstyling prompted the occasional comparison to a tropical fruit.

He was none too pleased with that if I remember correctly.

Instead of doing a section on club links can you just do a section on pineapples? Pineapples are brilliant.
  • _nam11 said:

Clutching for this weeks CAFC connection on this weeks @CharltonLive match preview...!

Any stories/memories of Jamal Campbell-Royce and/or Jason Lee would be appreciated, or if you have any other connections!? Granted neither had prolonged careers here, but wanted to do past players instead of current ones (Ajose/Novak).....

Jason Lee, used to wear a pineapple on his head.
  • Jason Lee was one of my favourite loans. He did a job for us if I remember and I was a bit gutted we didn't sign him permanently.
  • edited October 2016

McBobbin said:

Favourite Jason Lee story was him scoring the third as we came back from 4-2 down against Norwich, before Leaaaaaaaabuurrrrnn grabbed the equaliser. One of the most exciting games I've seen.

Also, he was good in the air and had two left feet

Remember that like it was yesterday. Sweaty Balmer got sent off in the first half, we went one up from a free kick, they equalised, we scored an identical free kick (Robson and Kinsella?) and then they scored again just before half time (I think). Two goals from that little cunt Darren Eadie in the second half and it looked like game over. The pineapple completely changed the game - pinging balls into the box and they just couldn't deal with him

Best game I'd seen at the valley for years
    Listen up kids... next time you get all annoyed cos you think we play too much 'hoofball'... just remember... there was once a time when we started games with Carl Leaburn and Jason Lee up front together.

Kids today don't even know they're born!

To be fair though, it was pretty effective for a while.
  • doesn't Jason Lee have the record for the longest time between Charlton debut and first Charlton goal for a striker? something like 7 years
  • Jesus... Memories of Campbell-Ryce that wont be easy after just three appearances for the club

Did say we were clutching. Lol
  • I'll be first to say, didn't expect 20+ posts!!!! Thanks all!!