Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aus v SA Test series

1st Test at Perth.
SA all out for 242 in first innings, and OZ were 130-0 overnight after day 1.
OZ eventually bowled out for 244 (after being 158-0 at one stage)
Day 3.... SA are currently 321-3 - a lead of 319 with 7 wickets left.

However, Steyn has gone off injured and is out of this Test.

Comments

• The ball that got Khawaja out from Rabada was unreal..
  • SA on verge of winning 1st Test. Oz, chasing 539 to win, are 168-4 with one day left. Rabada taking 3 of the 4 wickets to fall.
  • And I've got tickets for the next Test in Hobart where rain is forecast for the first 4 days
  • I heard that KP & Swann are doing match analysis for BT Sport. Interesting battle of egos there!
  • I heard that KP & Swann are doing match analysis for BT Sport. Interesting battle of egos there!

KP is in Australia for Channel 9, so won't be in the same studio as Swann (who's in London) which is just as well!
  • And I've got tickets for the next Test in Hobart where rain is forecast for the first 4 days

Isnt that the Day/Night Test ?

No, its the third one in Adelaide which is the d/n.
  • oh, btw, SA won by over 100 runs.

No. There are 2 day/nighters this year, in Adelaide and Brisbane. 50 mm rain forecast for the first 2 days in Hobart. Game might make it to the 4th day :)
  • Sponsored links:

• This is an Aussie team with a severe lack of back-bone and resilience, to lose that test from the position they were in at the end of Day 1 should have been impossible, yet they managed to get obliterated by a team with two seamers, and essentially with no contribution from either Amla or Devilliers.

The batting looks very, very flakey - Warner and Smith are quality, but get rid of those two and the rest is all very average, and more importantly there is a distinct lack of 'mongrel' about them.

Same goes for the bowling, it is all a bit pedestrian and poor old Mitchel Starc is carrying way too much of the workload. As I am sure a lot of you cricket nuts will know, they have a couple of excellent fast bowling prospects in the ranks in the form of Pat Cummins and James Pattinson, but these have both developed a touch of the 'Cory Gibbs' and can never seem to stay fit for more than one game.

Very interesting series out here for the next Ashes, England should be assembling their top six now and stick with them, which means no Ballance, Hales or Vince whom would all get monstered out here with the extra pace and bounce.

Also our lack of spin would not be such an issue, as Moen Ali is probably as good a spinner as Nathan Lyon anyhow.
  • Voges is our Ballance so far as averages are concerned and proof that taking them in isolation can prove little:

Overall Test average - 67.40

Against West Indies - 542.00
    Against New Zealand - 99.00
    Against England - 28.71
    Against Sri Lanka - 19.66
    Against SA - 14.00
  • Voges is our Ballance so far as averages are concerned and proof that taking them in isolation can prove little:

Against England - 28.71
    Against SA - 14.00

Blimey, I assume he had lots of not outs against the Windies!

Against England - 28.71
    Against SA - 14.00

Blimey, I assume he had lots of not outs against the Windies!
    Just the once out from four innings. His scores have been 130* & 37 in the West Indies and 269* & 106* in Australia.
  • Real shame about Cummins (even if he is an Aussie) - has only played 8 first class games since his Test debut in 2011 - and that was his only Test.
    And we thought Mark Wood was bad !
  • Voges is 37 and struggling for fitness. The High Performance regime has just about ruined the bowlers performance. They are only allowed to bowl so many balls or overs before being rested, rather than allowing the bowlers to say whether they are fit or not. The handling of Lyon in the last test by Smith was appalling and Smiths captaincy is under pressure. There is going to be a change of selectors in June and hopefully that will bring a new era. Steve Waugh is tipped to be Chairman. The other reason for the decline in the standard of cricket here is the Sheffield Shield. It used to be the pinnacle of cricket and currently teams are struggling to get more than 250 per innings.
  • This is an Aussie team with a severe lack of back-bone and resilience, to lose that test from the position they were in at the end of Day 1 should have been impossible, yet they managed to get obliterated by a team with two seamers, and essentially with no contribution from either Amla or Devilliers.

The batting looks very, very flakey - Warner and Smith are quality, but get rid of those two and the rest is all very average, and more importantly there is a distinct lack of 'mongrel' about them.

Same goes for the bowling, it is all a bit pedestrian and poor old Mitchel Starc is carrying way too much of the workload. As I am sure a lot of you cricket nuts will know, they have a couple of excellent fast bowling prospects in the ranks in the form of Pat Cummins and James Pattinson, but these have both developed a touch of the 'Cory Gibbs' and can never seem to stay fit for more than one game.

Very interesting series out here for the next Ashes, England should be assembling their top six now and stick with them, which means no Ballance, Hales or Vince whom would all get monstered out here with the extra pace and bounce.

Also our lack of spin would not be such an issue, as Moen Ali is probably as good a spinner as Nathan Lyon anyhow.

People have been calling Pattinson and Cummins prospects for about 5 years now.
  • Very true, the trouble is that neither of them can stay fit for more than one or two matches, before breaking down again with similar injuries.

Which is probably just as well, as fully fit, an attack of Starc, Pattinson, Cummins and Hazelwood would be very, very tasty - a 90mph left armer, two 90mph right armers who both swing the ball and Hazelwood whom is a real steady eddie McGrath type bowler.

Fast bowler welfare is a massive thing over here now for Cricket Australia, as along with those mentioned above, there are other guys like Nathan Coulter Nile, Mitchell Marsh and Peter Siddle whom just cannot stay fit before suffering season ending injuries.

Knowing England's luck the whole lot of them will be fit and ready to go for next October, and we will get another flogging!
  • edited November 2016

Very true, the trouble is that neither of them can stay fit for more than one or two matches, before breaking down again with similar injuries.

Which is probably just as well, as fully fit, an attack of Starc, Pattinson, Cummins and Hazelwood would be very, very tasty - a 90mph left armer, two 90mph right armers who both swing the ball and Hazelwood whom is a real steady eddie McGrath type bowler.

Fast bowler welfare is a massive thing over here now for Cricket Australia, as along with those mentioned above, there are other guys like Nathan Coulter Nile, Mitchell Marsh and Peter Siddle whom just cannot stay fit before suffering season ending injuries.

Knowing England's luck the whole lot of them will be fit and ready to go for next October, and we will get another flogging!

We ain't doing so bad on the fast bowler front either. Anderson class, Broad at his peak, Wood quality, Woakes showing what he can do in test cricket, Stokes bowling far better than I ever thought he would (would genuinely put him in the side as just a bowler or just a batsman at the moment). Finn Ball and Roland-Jones make up the chasing group and it seems we have a good group of young quicks coming through as well.

If we had James Taylor in the middle order I would have no worries about the test side (other than on the sub continent)
  • Agree with all of that lot with the exception of Steve Finn, who seems to have stagnated and even gone backwards to some degree.

Not sure that he has the nastiness and the general grumpiness to be a successful fast bowler, he just seems to happy to go through the motions and plop it down in the mid eighties, whilst not being particularly accurate.

That is why I like Wood so much, gives us something different and has real pace.
  • Sponsored links:

People have been calling Pattinson and Cummins prospects for about 5 years now.
    They are the Kevin Lisbie of cricket
  • Very true, the trouble is that neither of them can stay fit for more than one or two matches, before breaking down again with similar injuries.

Mark Wood has had a succession of injuries, while Tymal Mills can only bowl in white ball matches now.

Anderson, Broad and Woakes are all fine bowlers, but lack the express pace that perhaps only Ben Stokes can provide.
  • My understanding is that Mills is 20/20 only - so we can write him off.

Wood is a real worry, as whilst he isn't a guy that is going to have a Broad or Anderson career of ten years and 3-400 test wickets, if he is used wisely he could be a Simon Jones type shock bowler, who can give us something different in the middle overs.

However I heard him interviewed and it sounds like he has real problems with his ankles, which for a quick bowler is a horrendous place to have problems, given the amount of pressure going through there.
  • This is the most fun I've had watching cricket in ages
  • Oh and

3.5) Upon Ferguson getting out, his brother storms out of the stadium, on camera
  • Aussies 85 all out
    Smith top scored 48 not out
    5 wickets for Philander , 3 for Abbott

SA 102 for 4
    Amla 36 not out
    3 wickets for Starc
  • Bowled out for 85 at home, that's shocking!

• Thanks for that NLN.

Some unbelievable catches by SA especially Duminy's at slip and the last one taken by De Koch.

However, the rot was started by a absolute shocker from Warner. Someone should tell him that Test matches are meant to last 5 days and not 20 overs a side.