Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Banned for football betting

Joey Barton - 44 bets - 1 match ban

Ian Black - 160 bets - 10 match ban

Steve Lawless - 513 bets - 6 match ban

Random non league manager - 97 bets - THREE YEAR ban

Surely the 3 year ban is a bit harsh?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38058165

Comments

• One massive difference...
  • Joey Barton - 44 bets - 1 match ban

Ian Black - 160 bets - 10 match ban

Steve Lawless - 513 bets - 6 match ban

Random non league manager - 97 bets - THREE YEAR ban

Surely the 3 year ban is a bit harsh?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38058165

on the surface .. yes it is .. BUT .. has he got previous ? .. and managers ? ..... errrrr .. potentially more scope for corrupting his players
  • se9addick said:

One massive difference...

Well yes obviously the guy was betting on games involving his own team but he's hardly betting tens of thousands. His average bet was 70 quid.
  • I bet

Katrien had 500 quid on Swindon last week
  • The bans handed out to some players seem ridiculously paltry. A one match ban for betting is laughable. At least it would be if the consequences weren't so dire.

I'd be interested to know what Mohammad Amir, Mohammad Asif and Salman Butt think of 1, 6 and 10 match bans.
  • se9addick said:

One massive difference...

Well yes obviously the guy was betting on games involving his own team but he's hardly betting tens of thousands. His average bet was 70 quid.
    He bet thousands of pounds on the team he was managing to LOSE a match, should be banned for life.
  • Yeah but the main match he bet on them to lose they had 4 keepers missing and had to play an outfield player in goal, it was pretty likely they'd lose.

I can obviously see that it doesn't look good, but it's not as if he was betting on them to lose in a play off or anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• cant believe how strict it is, i have a mate who refs mainly conference prem and he wont even do an accumulator on his phone.
  • Chizz said:

The bans handed out to some players seem ridiculously paltry. A one match ban for betting is laughable. At least it would be if the consequences weren't so dire.

I'd be interested to know what Mohammad Amir, Mohammad Asif and Salman Butt think of 1, 6 and 10 match bans.

Couldn't give a shit what those cheating fuckers think.
  • Chizz said:

The bans handed out to some players seem ridiculously paltry. A one match ban for betting is laughable. At least it would be if the consequences weren't so dire.

Couldn't give a shit what those cheating fuckers think.
    Please don't sit on the fence Dave!

Though I do agree with the sentiment.
  • actually spoke to my mate who's a ref your just not allowed to bet on the league your reffing in, start of the season he said lincoln and ebbsfleet should go close in there leagues lincoln i backed at 16/1 and are currently 3rd done it ew.
  • I bet that one game ban is going to impact on Joe's weekend.
  • actually spoke to my mate who's a ref your just not allowed to bet on the league your reffing in, start of the season he said lincoln and ebbsfleet should go close in there leagues lincoln i backed at 16/1 and are currently 3rd done it ew.

That is only at lower levels. If reffing in the top four tiers they cannot bet on any football anywhere in the world.

From a club perspective the ban covers players, team management and all employees. It's relatively easy to police the players and team management but it's impossible to cover all employees as well!!

• The world is becoming a very cynical place. If an ordinary working man can't place a bet of couple of thousand on a team he manages in the seventh tier of English football, it's a sad day.

The "Red" smoke screen hasn't fooled me Peter:

Peter Swan (born 8 October 1936, South Elmsall, Yorkshire) was a professional footballer whose career lasted from 1952 until 1974. Swan made 299 appearances for Sheffield Wednesday plus two as substitute, he was a regular in the England national side for two years between May 1960 and May 1962 winning 19 full caps, he also represented England at Under 19 and Under 23 level.

Despite his ability as a top class defender he will be mostly remembered for his involvement in a betting scandal that led to him being banned from football for eight years between 1964 and 1972.

The betting scandal, which also involved two other Wednesday players, Tony Kay and David Layne, involved the three betting on Sheffield Wednesday to lose their away match at Ipswich Town F.C. on Saturday 1 December 1962. Ipswich won the match 2–0 with two goals from Ray Crawford. In an interview with The Times newspaper in July 2006, Swan said “We lost the game fair and square, but I still don’t know what I’d have done if we’d been winning. It would have been easy for me to give away a penalty or even score an own goal. Who knows?”. The betting ring was uncovered and publicised by a major article in The People newspaper. Swan was banned on Monday 13 April 1964 just as he was preparing to play against Tottenham that evening, his place in the team being taken by Vic Mobley. Swan received a four-month jail sentence in Lincoln jail and a life ban from football. It is believed that Swan might otherwise have been part of the England squad that won the 1966 World Cup; he was once told by England manager Alf Ramsey that he was "top of the list".
  • bobmunro said:

actually spoke to my mate who's a ref your just not allowed to bet on the league your reffing in, start of the season he said lincoln and ebbsfleet should go close in there leagues lincoln i backed at 16/1 and are currently 3rd done it ew.

That is only at lower levels. If reffing in the top four tiers they cannot bet on any football anywhere in the world.

From a club perspective the ban covers players, team management and all employees. It's relatively easy to police the players and team management but it's impossible to cover all employees as well!!
    so if for example out kit manager won an accy on 5 prem results it would be illegal?
  • bobmunro said:

actually spoke to my mate who's a ref your just not allowed to bet on the league your reffing in, start of the season he said lincoln and ebbsfleet should go close in there leagues lincoln i backed at 16/1 and are currently 3rd done it ew.

so if for example out kit manager won an accy on 5 prem results it would be illegal?
    It would be against FA/FL rules - yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely players just have accounts in friends names?
  • Surely players just have accounts in friends names?

Over a decade ago I took quite a few calls from a betting account holder who happened to be the sister of a very well known England International. I remember thinking at the time that she had the deepest voice of any woman I've ever known ;-)
  • Yeah but the main match he bet on them to lose they had 4 keepers missing and had to play an outfield player in goal, it was pretty likely they'd lose.

I can obviously see that it doesn't look good, but it's not as if he was betting on them to lose in a play off or anything.

Yeah, but if you had a half a brain cell, you'd give your mate a grand to make the bet in his own name - and tell him he can have half.
    You wouldn't make the bet yourself.

PS: Crikey, did I say that? ....... I might have to change my username to Corruptible Addick.

I also backed Lincoln at 16s (and we're 2nd btw :smiley: )
  • Boom said:

I also backed Lincoln at 16s (and we're 2nd btw :smiley: )
    having beaten the perennial runners up and current leaders, Forest Green last weekend ((:>)
  • Chizz said:

They would probably say' that's fair enough they were betting on the results of a fair game(s) whereas we were actually cheating and effecting the outcome of a game'

Top of the league tonight mate
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49483710

Don't know why we let these New Eltham types into Bromley.

Build a wall in Mottingham.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49483710

Don't know why we let these New Eltham types into Bromley.

Build a wall in Mottingham.
    Looks like they’ve changed the original article that said he had allegedly used his position to pass information to others for betting purposes.

Unsubstantiated rumour is that he has been handed a 12 month suspension and fine that he is appealing.