Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley to Heathrow

We have to pick somebody up from Heathrow whose flight is due to arrive at 5.45pm tomorrow.

Bearing in mind that the visitor will have to get luggage and clear non-EU immigration, I was thinking that I have a fair shot of being able to attend the game and then make it there for, say 6.45ish

Am I kidding myself?
Do I need to rely on waking up on Saturday morning and finding out the flight is delayed?

Any tips on the best way to get to the airport ASAP after the game? For cultural reasons and also to help onward transport, I should take the car, but should I consider public transport here?

Many thanks for any help or advice.

Comments

• Use the Paddington express.
  • I would say 1 hour 45 mins is very tight as that assumes you are in your car and driving at 5pm, the traffic will be very busy tomorrow due to it being the last full weekend for Christmas shoppers and you will not make any serious ground up until you hit the M25.

• I got the tube from T5 on Sunday into Tower Hill (1 change) took 1 hour 30 Mins roughly, so you'd have to factor in a train from Charlton into central London First as well
  • Which Terminal?
  • Drive or public transport? If on public transport you coukd get the 17:17 from Charlton to Charing Cross, Bakerloo to Paddington and Heathrow Express and you'd be there by 18.45

Driving completely dependant on no incidents anywhere, park up by Marlborough Lane and drive from there should be an easier getaway and cross everything that the M25 is running smooth
  • A2 to M25. Assume 1hr 45mins by time you've parked and no motorway problems. If Terminal 5 you shave off around 15 mins. No traffic its 1hr 20mins.
  • You could make it - Jubilee to Baker Street, Bakerloo to Paddington, express to Heathrow, but would mean on getting to North Greenwich on time.

By car at that time of the day you have no chance.
  • Tight but doable by 5.17pm train from Charlton to Charing Cross, tube from Embankment changing at Hammersmith, you should get there for 6.45 or a little bit after. (Or Bakerloo from Embankment to Paddington, then Heathrow Express/Connect train if you fancy shelling out to save 20 minutes or so.)
  • I live near Woking and drive back home after Saturday games. I normally get home by 6:30 latest.

Heathrow is 15 mins further on. So 6:45 sounds about right.
  • Saw this thread title and thought maybe Duduche's grand plan has finally been revealed. Otoh, there should be 900 comments by now, if that was true, not nine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Have positive thoughts, the incoming flight might be delayed and not only will the journey be doable you'll have time to have a coffee and a snack while you are waiting
  • Guys - Trains, members only please
  • T4

Car really is preferable

Parking tip above is much appreciated

As is confirmation that I should go A2 to M25
  • If you're picking somebody up, surely you'll need your car anyway.
  • Tap, for example Etihad Airways EY17, into a site like https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/ETD17/history/20161216/0935Z/OMAA/EGLL
    and it'll tell you what the usual actual arrival time is. That'll give you a clue. So, for example, that flight's average delay is less than 10 minutes and its eta today is 16:54 plus 10 mins taxiing time giving an arrival of 17:04.
    So, if it was that chances are you'd be late
  • edited December 2016
    Just tell em that if they want picking up they'll just have to wait until you get there.
  • I live 5 minutes from Junction 6 on the M25. If I leave at full time I'll be home for 6.15, 6:30 if traffic is heavy. It usually takes 45 minutes to get from Heathrow from my place so imagine you'll be there just before 7 if you didn't leave early.
  • BTW, you can use the long stay car park at LHR for pick-ups and drop-offs for free for up to two hours. There's a special parking area right by the car park exit and if you could persuade your passenger to get the shuttle bus to the car park, it would give you an extra bit of time to factor in. :smile:heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/heathrow-parking/heathrow-long-stay-parking
  • Sponsored links:

• You can monitor arrivals at the Heathrow website if you tap in the terminals. You get 'expected' and 'landed' and 'baggage in the hall' that sort of thing.
  • I am sure they can wait in Costa until you arrive - it's all about priorities.
  • Came back from Iceland couple of months back, strong tail winds arrived over an hour early, so you just never know.
  • No probs - just leave game 5 mins early take A2/M25 and you'll be there in time no probs.
  • All good advice, dudes

I'll let you know how I get on

The Mrs assures me that my nuts are on the line if we aren't there to pick up her cousin when she walks out at arrivals

I was hoping to at least blag it and send her a message saying "on our way... meet at costa" or some such....

... but that approach seems not to work
  • Go the game, check the landing time on your smart phone and leave 5 mins before the game ends, if you're driving, to beat the minimal traffic. A2 then M25 is definitely the way to drive.

If the flight is delayed then you'll have time to play with.
  • All good advice, dudes

I'll let you know how I get on

The Mrs assures me that my nuts are on the line if we aren't there to pick up her cousin when she walks out at arrivals

I was hoping to at least blag it and send her a message saying "on our way... meet at costa" or some such....

... but that approach seems not to work

You just know that the plane will land 30 minutes early and the M25 will be gridlocked. :wink:
  • Does your missus drive ? She could take the car over to Heathrow and you could make your way over by tube after the game
  • edited December 2016

Does your missus drive ? She could take the car over to Heathrow and you could make your way to the pub after the game

• Put your foot down siv
    Tell the missus once she has picked her cousin up to pick you up from the pub after