Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would have been their birthday today...

Comments

• JOHN HEWIE
    Born Pretoria on 13 December 1927
    died Lincolnshire 11 May 2015 age 88
    Played for Charlton between 1946-66
    Capped 19 times for Scotland 1956-60

Jimmy Seed knew a good player when he saw one and was positively effusive in his praise of 23 year old debutant John Hewie - "Hewie ranks as one of the finest backs I've ever seen. He has everything, physical and mental, a great footballer needs".

Apart from a fleeting spell back in South Africa during 1960, John Hewie remained an Addick until 1966, when he departed at the age of 38, having played 530 games and contributed 38 goals for his only English League club. He was Charlton's most capped player at the time of his retirement.

He was a total footballer long before the term was coined. The tall resilient South Africa-born Scottish international played for Charlton in nine different positions, including goalkeeper, aquitting himself in arguably his most effective role, as full-back, during the World Cup Finals.

He became a regular first-choice player in 1951-52, helping an entertaining Charlton finish in the top half of the then First Division. For the next five seasons he was one of the most reliable performers in the top flight helping Charlton during their best season 1952-53 when they came fifth behind champions Arsenal. Scotland became aware of his eligibility through his Scottish father and when he made his Scottish debut in a B-team game at Edinburgh in 1953 Hewie recounted with a chuckle it was the first time he had set foot in the country.

From The Independent of Monday, 13 July 2015

not a bad person to hare a birthday with at all!
  • Happy Birthday Dave!
  • cheers mate
  • JOHN HEWIE

Jimmy Seed knew a good player when he saw one and was positively effusive in his praise of 23 year old debutant John Hewie - "Hewie ranks as one of the finest backs I've ever seen. He has everything, physical and mental, a great footballer needs".

Apart from a fleeting spell back in South Africa during 1960, John Hewie remained an Addick until 1966, when he departed at the age of 38, having played 530 games and contributed 38 goals for his only English League club. He was Charlton's most capped player at the time of his retirement.

He was a total footballer long before the term was coined. The tall resilient South Africa-born Scottish international played for Charlton in nine different positions, including goalkeeper, aquitting himself in arguably his most effective role, as full-back, during the World Cup Finals.

He became a regular first-choice player in 1951-52, helping an entertaining Charlton finish in the top half of the then First Division. For the next five seasons he was one of the most reliable performers in the top flight helping Charlton during their best season 1952-53 when they came fifth behind champions Arsenal. Scotland became aware of his eligibility through his Scottish father and when he made his Scottish debut in a B-team game at Edinburgh in 1953 Hewie recounted with a chuckle it was the first time he had set foot in the country.

Don't rabbit on about it.
  • JOHN HEWIE

Don't rabbit on about it.
    took me a good few minutes to clock on there!
  • My Uncle Barrie RIP
  • Sam Phillips would have been 93 today.
  • Margaret Thatcher born 1925.

RIP
    Rot in Hell.

RIP
    Rot in Hell.
    I'm sure I will mate, I'm sure I will.
  • Happy 70th Birthday to the Starman in the sky
  • Sponsored links:

• Think it would have been Elvis's birthday today, the 8th as well.
  • Correct Elvis would have been 82
  • Or did he!? Reports of him turning up at a nye house party in Australia 3 years ago.... ;)

RIP
    Rot in Hell.
    I'm sure I will mate, I'm sure I will.
    At the risk of a Whoosh, her, not you. Although if the cap fits...
  • edited January 2017
    The Mrs is 40 today, luckily for the World she has never tried to have a career in music like Elvis or Bowie.
  • Happy Birthday To The King
  • My late beloved mother.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• DON WELSH
    Born 25 February 1911 in Manchester
    Died 2 February 1990 aged 78

Played 199 games for Charlton between 1935-47 scoring 44 goals
    Played 3 games for England 1938/39 and 8 unofficial wartime caps between 1940/41.

Don Welsh was our 1947 FA Cup winning captain. He was inducted into the Charlton Hall of Fame in 2013. He was a versatile player, mainly an inside left but equally effective at centre forward, centre half or left half.

During the war he made guest appearances for Charlton and Liverpool and lef Charlton to two Wartime Cup Finals beating Chelsea in 1944.

After leaving Charlton in 1947 he managed Brighton for four seasons, then Liverpool for five. After a break in 1957 when he tried his hand as a publican in the West Country he returned to manage Bournemouth for three seasons then Wycombe Wanderers for two.
  • DON WELSH
    Born 25 February 1911 in Manchester
    Died 2 February 1990 aged 78

Played 199 games for Charlton between 1935-47 scoring 44 goals
    Played 3 games for England 1938/39 and 8 unofficial wartime caps between 1940/41.

Don Welsh was our 1947 FA Cup winning captain. He was inducted into the Charlton Hall of Fame in 2013. He was a versatile player, mainly an inside left but equally effective at centre forward, centre half or left half.

During the war he made guest appearances for Charlton and Liverpool and lef Charlton to two Wartime Cup Finals beating Chelsea in 1944.

After leaving Charlton in 1947 he managed Brighton for four seasons, then Liverpool for five. After a break in 1957 when he tried his hand as a publican in the West Country he returned to manage Bournemouth for three seasons then Wycombe Wanderers for two.

Before the War (around 1937) he lived with his wife Ivy and her parents, the Baxters, at 19 Harraden Road Kidbrooke.

Also:
    From the Liverpool Daily Post 18 September 1941:

Sport Items

Irish League 0 British Army 5

At Grosvenor Park Belfast. Welsh, of Charlton Athletic, who took the place of Lawton at the last minute, scored four of the goals. Hagan added the fifth.

I believe Don Welsh was a PE instructor in the Army during the War.
  • Thanks for that Cheeryorchard - makes it much more interesting. Unfortunately I left my Charlton books at home and all my stuff came from wikepedia.

Who do you think we will be writing about in 20 years time out of the present shower. Possibly Chris Solly. I cann't think of anyone else.
  • Thanks for that Cheeryorchard - makes it much more interesting. Unfortunately I left my Charlton books at home and all my stuff came from wikepedia.

Who do you think we will be writing about in 20 years time out of the present shower. Possibly Chris Solly. I cann't think of anyone else.

Jackson maybe too but don't think many if any of the others
  • edited March 2017
    Lou Reed would have been 75 today
  • Lou Reed would have been 75 today

Also birthday of Karen Carpenter and Rory Gallagher
  • Yep, Rory Gallagher .
    Belong to his fan forum, and got this print made today from a photo\that I took of his guitar in Harrods a few years back. The slight ghost image is of Rory, as his brother manager once told me 'his DNA is in that guitar'.....
  • My Dad would have been 97 years old today 2nd March, died 2009.
    My hero.
  • Frankie Howerd was born 100 years ago today.
  • Frankie Howerd was born 100 years ago today.

Ooh no, you shut your face.