Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Air pollution

What should we do about it?

Comments

• WSS said:

Leave the EU so they stop interfering with our air?

It's an interesting view. But I'm sure the "Leave" campaign wasn't centred on "let's make sure we can pollute the atmosphere as much as we want, instead of having to have that European-style clean air forced onto us".
  • Remain so we don't die of preventable causes.
  • Chizz said:

WSS said:

Leave the EU so they stop interfering with our air?

It's an interesting view. But I'm sure the "Leave" campaign wasn't centred on "let's make sure we can pollute the atmosphere as much as we want, instead of having to have that European-style clean air forced onto us".
    You say that...
  • Stop farting
  • I'm a Cyclist but I think it was madness introducing the Cycle lanes in Central London , You now have cars sitting all day / night long churning out fumes and going nowhere quickly ,come summer this will get worse, I know people will say that cyclist safety is paramount ( and I don't have the answers ) but it seems like a double edged sword , safety on the road or pollution related disease in later life .
  • Sponsored links:

• Make everyone fit enough use a bicycle.
  • Get rid of the Borisbuses
  • Ban buses from central London.
    They congest the road and slow down cars and delivery vehicles.
  • MrOneLung said:

Ban buses from central London.

Ban people from central London.

With no people there you wouldn't need Buses, taxis and cars.

• Oggy Red said:

MrOneLung said:

Ban buses from central London.

Ban people from central London.

With no people there you wouldn't need Buses, taxis and cars.

And it wouldn't matter how bad the air is if no one is breathing it.
  • Instead of burning fossil fuels could we not burn the eco-mentalists ?
  • Chizz said:

Don't know about you lot but im going to start a business selling personalised face masks.

I will be starting with a range of Charlton life user names, they can come with or with the CARD/WAR logo.

And i wouldn't have to be too ethical with regards to pollution because ultimately it'll only make me richer.

Please pm me your orders.
  • Chizz said:

Don't know about you lot but im going to start a business selling personalised face masks.

I will be starting with a range of Charlton life user names, they can come with or with the CARD/WAR logo.

And i wouldn't have to be too ethical with regards to pollution because ultimately it'll only make me richer.

Make sure there's no tallow in them.
  • Chizz said:

Make sure there's no tallow in them.
    Don't worry if any veggies order them they'll be getting sent a box of pig dicks!
  • Sponsored links:

• .....and breath
  • The whole congestion charge thing was brought in as a stealth tax as, at the time, most people could afford the £5 fee. If they really wanted to stop congestion and help the environment, they would've made it £50 to enter Central London.

.....and £345 for push bikes
  • We should thank the EU for pointing out the problem and ban all EU drivers from central London.
  • Banning diesel engines would be a start.

That's on the way but it's massively hypocritical of our government to penalise people with a diesel engine when they were encouraged to get them in the first place because of their efficiency and thus burning less fuel.

We massively cocked up on diesel engines and now there's huge backtracking going on with no one willing to admit they were wrong.
  • colthe3rd said:

Banning diesel engines would be a start.

That's on the way but it's massively hypocritical of our government to penalise people with a diesel engine when they were encouraged to get them in the first place because of their efficiency and thus burning less fuel.

We massively cocked up on diesel engines and now there's huge backtracking going on with no one willing to admit they were wrong.
    Agreed. It was very much a UK and EU policy to encourage diesel use, as they are better from a CO2 standpoint. ..
  • I bought a diesel car because it was recommended. I thought it weird at the time, as to me it was bleedin obvious that buses and lorries appear to chuck out more shite than the average car.
  • There are rumours of another diesel scrappage scheme starting up soon. I'd happily ditch mine and and buy a full electric car if the figures add up.
  • stop breathing
  • Ban all diesel cars from central London and increase congestion charge to £25 on all cars. Increase tax on diesel by 100%.

Pollution from diesel cars is a massive problem in central London and it is scandalous how powerful lobbyists have suppressed the scientific evidence and allowed the situation get this bad.

Good ideas except the highlighted part .. that part of your analysis would mean that transport costs and the ensuing rise in prices would be untenable.
    Do you have any idea how many diesel engined delivery trucks go about their business in the UK every day ? .. by all means keep diesel engines out of city centres but to price diesel fuel out of the market entirely is just not feasible .. and remember that not too long ago the government were advocating diesel as the fuel of the future and V W agree ((:>) .. but anyone who pays too much heed to what governments preach is bound to be misled much of the time .. any measures to clean up the air will take a long time to come to fruition and will be VERY expensive .. got to start somewhere though
  • There are rumours of another diesel scrappage scheme starting up soon. I'd happily ditch mine and and buy a full electric car if the figures add up.

Don't wanna travel very far then!!