Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Blair

Comments

• Chizz said:

If Blair's intervention results in more clarity, certainty and transparency; if it ends up with all of us knowing what the end position will be; and if it ends up with the vast majority of the population being happy, well-informed and prepared, then that's surely a good thing. Isn't it?

The problem is, coming from him it won't. If he had the remotest degree of self awareness he'd know that his intervention on pretty much any topic is unwelcome, and is likely to do more harm than good. But it seems his ego won't let him take a back seat.
  • Should have made voting compulsory for those of voting age. Too important for the "oh it'll be fine" brigade.
  • edited February 2017

Should have made voting compulsory for those of voting age. Too important for the "oh it'll be fine" brigade.

What about the 'This decision is too big for the man in the street and I've not been given enough information/don't believe a word any of the c*nts in parliament/dont particularly give a shit' brigade?
    Make 'em vote anyway. If they can't take responsibility for what happens in our society they haven't got the right to participate in it.
  • edited February 2017

Should have made voting compulsory for those of voting age. Too important for the "oh it'll be fine" brigade.

What about the 'This decision is too big for the man in the street and I've not been given enough information/don't believe a word any of the c*nts in parliament/dont particularly give a shit' brigade?
    Make 'em vote anyway. If they can't take responsibility for what happens in our society they haven't got the right to participate in it.

Oh I'm sorry. Inside every Guardianista there is a little fascist trying to get out....
    When i've got complete faith and trust in the people that control/want to control this country, then i'll bother to vote.
  • LenGlover said:

JonnyK said:

So Tony how can you square up sending our young men and women into Iraq and Afghanistan in order to introduce democracy to their populations and now suddenly you need to overturn the democratic process in the mother country?

Inconsistent or a messiah complex?

Cameron overturned the democratic process in this country by calling a referendum. We are a Parliamentary democracy and yet there are people who don't want Parliament to approve or not the deal we make to leave the EU.
    Actually Parliament voted to put the issue to the people by way of a referendum.

Now you can argue about the merits or faults of the whip system, party system and all the rest of it but that is a separate debate.

As things stand, under the present system, there is a strong argument that Parliament has already debated this issue and, by a majority, chose to put the issue to the people.

The people chose LEAVE.
    Thirty seven per cent of the people chose leave. Very important in these times to keep the truth and facts at the forefront of all political discourse.
    That means that 63% didn't do what @Leuth And @Rothko wanted!

• Sponsored links:

• Should have made voting compulsory for those of voting age. Too important for the "oh it'll be fine" brigade.

Oh I'm sorry. Inside every Guardianista there is a little fascist trying to get out....
    When i've got complete faith and trust in the people that control/want to control this country, then i'll bother to vote.
    I was talking about the referendum, not elections.

Politicians from both sides lied though didn't they?
  • edited February 2017

Politicians from both sides lied though didn't they?
    Oh christ, OK.
  • Rizzo said:

Not often I agree with Blair but he seems to be spot on with his latest comments about the Daily Mail. They campaigned for the release of Brits detained at Guantanamo and now are slamming Blair for doing exactly that, as one of them turned out to be a suicide bomber. Blair's a cnut of the highest order but those scumbags at the Mail deserve shooting.

I think they are upset about the million quid the fella got, according to this headline (though you never know with that paragon of truth that is the Mai!) and the reporting of fellow MP's giving Bliar a kicking...

EXCLUSIVE - The ISIS suicide bomber's house that was paid for by YOU: Jihadist bought £220k three-bedroom semi with his £1m Gitmo payout - six years before blowing himself up in Mosul attack

After the revelations emerged, Tory MP Tim Loughton described it as 'scandalous' and said serious questions would now be asked.

He said: 'So much for Tony Blair's assurances that this extremist did not pose a security threat.

'He clearly was a risk to Britain and our security all along. It adds insult to injury that he was given £1million in compensation because of Blair's flawed judgement that he was an innocent.'

Liberal Democrat MP John Pugh added: 'This raises serious questions about the reassurances Labour gave us that this man posed no danger.
    'It is a kick in the teeth that he was given a fortune in taxpayers' money after claiming he was innocent only to flee to Islamic State and pose a risk to the UK.

At the time of his release, then-Home Secretary David Blunkett insisted that 'no one who returns (from Guantanamo) will actually be a threat to the security of the British people.'

• edited February 2017
    Chizz said:

MrOneLung said:

Chizz said:

MrOneLung said:

Chizz said:

Does anyone have a view on what he actually said?

Yes. He was wrong.

You can't keep rejecting a vote until you get the result you want. Whether it be a Scottish referendum, Brexit, Trump, Labour Party leadership. You have democratic rules in place and you live by them.

Would you need a general election each time a manifesto promise was broken?
    Does that mean that, subsequent to a referendum, no dissenting voice should ever be heard?
    Not at all. What shouldn't be heard is a call to rise up and try to overturn democracy.

There was a big run up to the referendum where both sides put their case and the country voted. Perhaps if both sides had concentrated on the benefits of each of their positions rather than scaremongering about the other sides position the result may have been different but it is churlish and wrong to suggest the nation was not aware of what they were voting for.
    "Overturn democracy"? Isn't the whole point of democracy the fact we can debate any issue and, at the point where sufficient public opinion determines it, change direction?

Blair is asking for (some) leave voters to consider changing their minds. That's democratic.

He's suggesting that the basis on which some people made up their minds is questioned, investigated and tested. That's democratic.

He's asking that the decisions that are being made by the government are ratified by plebiscite, rather than being determined by an exclusive, minority group, meeting in secret. That's democratic.

If it's undemocratic for the public to consider options and to request and require that the government changes its direction, then the referendum last year was undemocratic. I don't think that's the case. I also don't think it's undemocratic to continue to argue for the right outcome. In fact it's the most democratic thing that can be done.

Blair, of course, got some things very wrong in his time as PM. But he's right now. And it's telling that every other living former PM agrees with him.
    I think our democracy has been undermined by blatant lies by Tory ministers in both camps and their press leading up to the referendum, but underlined by a lack of debate about this (undemocratic) issue and the appalling structure of the actual vote. Many Brexiteers voted for different elements and 8 months on we are still discussing hard or soft Brexit. And May has no mandate to choose which option.

As a leftie myself, Corbyn has been a useless cunt.
  • seth plum said:

The brexit thread is sadly missed, judging by the enthusiasm for this thread.

Close it down now before the unpleasantness returns and the flags start flying around.

Before it is closed, I would just like to say that Blair is an utter arse and he should crawl back into his hole.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

The brexit thread is sadly missed, judging by the enthusiasm for this thread.

Close it down now before the unpleasantness returns and the flags start flying around.

Before it is closed, I would just like to say that Blair is an utter arse and he should crawl back into his hole.
    Too late.
  • See he was at the unveiling of the new memorial today. What a bastard!! Not one ounce of remorse in that arsehole!
  • I hate Blair more than i hate Roland.
    Roland is ruining our club
    If left to his own devices Blair could possibly fcuk up the entire world
  • I hate Blair more than i hate Roland.
    Roland is ruining our club
    If left to his own devices Blair could possibly fcuk up the entire world

They are both sanctimonious and possibly insane
  • sralan said:

See he was at the unveiling of the new memorial today. What a bastard!! Not one ounce of remorse in that arsehole!

Thing is, if he hadn't gone, people would complain about him disrespecting the memory of the people he sent to die out there. I don't like the man, but I think he made the right choice on this one.
  • He should be buried under it.
    The sooner the better
  • SE9SE9
    edited March 2017

Every so often this nauseating pratt pops up again, spouting forth his 'wisdom'. Even with all the public-funded protection he enjoys, it amazes me how this strange creature is still alive.
    Bore off, BLiar. 'Remain' came second in the referendum and bleating about it nearly five months on isn't going to change a thing. Top your tan up and enter a fancy dress competition as a shrivelled orange.

Weather he was right or wrong to go to war In Iraq he probably didn't just do it for a war. He must have believed what he was told and thought.

I never voted for Blair and never would but I would support him for certain aspects or what he did.

I've said for a few years now. If they had weapons to attack us and they might have wanted too then get over there and sort it out. If they didn't have them but the reason we went over there was for Oil... agian tell us this and go and do it. Morally wrong but the reason we all have what we have now in this country it we done things in the past that were wrong.

• SE9 said:

Every so often this nauseating pratt pops up again, spouting forth his 'wisdom'. Even with all the public-funded protection he enjoys, it amazes me how this strange creature is still alive.
    Bore off, BLiar. 'Remain' came second in the referendum and bleating about it nearly five months on isn't going to change a thing. Top your tan up and enter a fancy dress competition as a shrivelled orange.

Weather he was right or wrong to go to war In Iraq he probably didn't just do it for a war. He must have believed what he was told and thought.

I never voted for Blair and never would but I would support him for certain aspects or what he did.

I've said for a few years now. If they had weapons to attack us and they might have wanted too then get over there and sort it out. If they didn't have them but the reason we went over there was for Oil... agian tell us this and go and do it. Morally wrong but the reason we all have what we have now in this country it we done things in the past that were wrong.

• SE9 said:

Blair believes in Blair, money and that's about it I think. His principles were long ago sacrificed at the altar of personal gain.

It is only his massive ego that prevents him from doing the sensible thing and disappearing quietly into the sunset for good.

Another one who would probably fail the psychopath test.