Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• For me it just shows how much we need them gone to start to rebuild. We've got some decent players that with additions to cover things like injuries, should be able to compete a bit higher up the league, but not enough. Certainly not enough against the back drop of a culture of incompetence
  • IF we can get a few players back (such as Pearce, Magennis and Solly) and finish the season positively, then there is the nucleus of a decent team there, hopefully for the next owners to build on.

I agree with Pearce that this season has been a massive underachievement. Injuries, dubious transfer dealings in January and perhaps Robinson trying to change the style of play too much in mid season have badly derailed us, when you consider where we were in the table when Slade was sacked. No way should we be 10 points behind the likes of Bristol Rovers, who are amazingly still in contention for the playoffs.
  • For me the pictures on the link about sums it up, empty seats, empty promises,the club is broken at the moment, something needs to give or we'll go bust.
  • Waste of a season ? At least you've only had the one Pearce.

Ditto. Bloody part timer!
  • When he's back who do you start him with Tex or Bauer? I suspect it will be Bauer which is harsh on Tex as he's one of our top scorers.
  • When he's back who do you start him with Tex or Bauer? I suspect it will be Bauer which is harsh on Tex as he's one of our top scorers.

It's great that Disco chips in with some goals but that's not what he's there for. It's an indictment of our forwards that he's one of the top scorers, just like when Stepney was joint top scorer at Man U with Kidd for a while, the year they went down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Every season's a waste with this lot.
  • edited March 2017
    Given Novak is our only target man and has just two goals, Tex with double could be worth a go upfront, if only from the bench. Alternatively we haven't tried three at the back yet and our full backs are quasi wingers.
  • Given Novak is our only target man and has just two goals, Tex with double could be worth a go upfront, if only from the bench. Alternatively we haven't tried three at the back yet and our full backs are quasi wingers.

Magennis?
  • edited March 2017
    Scoham said:

Given Novak is our only target man and has just two goals, Tex with double could be worth a go upfront, if only from the bench. Alternatively we haven't tried three at the back yet and our full backs are quasi wingers.

Magennis?
    Nah that's me mates, mine's a lager top!

The fact that our finishing has been so poor, our midfield woefully short of grit and pace and our defence amateur, even for this pig ear of a division ought to give them a large clue as to where the fixes lie. But oh no, not this Belgian shower of shit. We are proper fucked!
  • edited March 2017

Aside from the fact we have Magennis, this idea that centre halves who score from corners a lot should go up front is such a frustrating one. Being a target man is a complex role. It involves an understanding of movement, anticipation and positioning, it's not just about doing headers. If you put Tex up front he'd be a total disaster and he'd be marked out of the game from the first minute. I know we have some limited alternatives, but Solly doesn't really suit a wingback role unfortunately
  • Strong contender for Player of the Year??
  • JaShea99 said:

Strong contender for Player of the Year??

Nah that's Lookman
  • Scoham said:

Magennis?
    Nah that's me mates, mine's a larger top!

The fact that our finishing has been so poor, our midfield woefully short of grit and pace and our defence amateur, even for this pig ear of a division ought to give them a large clue as to where the fixes lie. But oh no, not this Belgian shower of shit. We are proper fucked!
    A larger top? Or a lager top.
    Not being size-ist or anything.
  • IF we can get a few players back (such as Pearce, Magennis and Solly) and finish the season positively, then there is the nucleus of a decent team there, hopefully for the next owners to build on.

I agree with Pearce that this season has been a massive underachievement. Injuries, dubious transfer dealings in January and perhaps Robinson trying to change the style of play too much in mid season have badly derailed us, when you consider where we were in the table when Slade was sacked. No way should we be 10 points behind the likes of Bristol Rovers, who are amazingly still in contention for the playoffs.

Agree. We've had 17 draws and 8 defeats by a margin of 1 goal. If half of each had been wins and draws respectively we'd have 20 points more and would be placed 4th, which given our squad seems entirely reasonable.

As for apportioning blame......Slade was over cautious early on (hence most of the draws) and Robinson has 'gone for it' leaving us a bit more exposed at the back (hence the run of odd goal defeats).

Our strikers ought to have done better even allowing for how Slade played early on. Holmes 9, Magennis 8, Ajose 6 and Lookman 5 are our leading scorers. Novak and Watt have 4 between them.

As for next season, my view is we won't have Rudd, Holmes, Jackson, Bauer, Ulvestad or Teixeira around. We'll be lucky to keep Magennis too, so building a credible team is going to take quite an effort.
  • Sponsored links:

• I prefer the way Yann put it 'they've wasted the club'.
  • edited March 2017

IF we can get a few players back (such as Pearce, Magennis and Solly) and finish the season positively, then there is the nucleus of a decent team there, hopefully for the next owners to build on.

Agree. We've had 17 draws and 8 defeats by a margin of 1 goal. If half of each had been wins and draws respectively we'd have 20 points more and would be placed 4th, which given our squad seems entirely reasonable.

As for apportioning blame......Slade was over cautious early on (hence most of the draws) and Robinson has 'gone for it' leaving us a bit more exposed at the back (hence the run of odd goal defeats).

Our strikers ought to have done better even allowing for how Slade played early on. Holmes 9, Magennis 8, Ajose 6 and Lookman 5 are our leading scorers. Novak and Watt have 4 between them.

As for next season, my view is we won't have Rudd, Holmes, Jackson, Bauer, Ulvestad or Teixeira around. We'll be lucky to keep Magennis too, so building a credible team is going to take quite an effort.
    Rudd and Ulvestad are loans, so almost certainly won't be around next season. It would take pretty serious cash to secure Rudd on a permanent deal, and I would imagine he's going to want Championship football at a minimum.

Tex is pretty likely to go - an astonishingly high earner if we're to believe what has been said on here, and I think he can't be too excited by the prospect of another season in the third tier after coming from playing in the Portuguese, Swiss, Belgian and Italian top flights.

Bauer I'm not sure about. I would imagine he'd prefer to leave for the Championship or Europe given the chance, but Robinson might try and keep him around. If there was a full summer restructuring of the squad (to the level required) I don't think I'd be too upset about him leaving as part of a wider clearout. He had the makings of a quality player in the Championship, but has gone backwards and tends to have pretty regular lapses of concentration.

Holmes and Magennis are surely part of Robinson's plans for next season, can't believe we'd sell them - but you never know what RD may do on his way out the door.
  • It's been a wasted decade (not in the good sense).
  • Scoham said:

Magennis?
    Crocked
  • roland duchatelet - they say hate is a strong word but that man i wouldn't piss on if he was on fire.
  • How would playing Pearce, Tex and Bauer as a back three with wing backs pan out do we think? Against strong opposition it might be worth a try?
    I'm expecting at least one of the above to be departing in the summer, so any replacement could fill the gap, or Konsa if we keep him.
  • JamesSeed said:

How would playing Pearce, Tex and Bauer as a back three with wing backs pan out do we think? Against strong opposition it might be worth a try?
    I'm expecting at least one of the above to be departing in the summer, so any replacement could fill the gap, or Konsa if we keep him.

I've gone off Bauer a bit lately, doesn't seem as solid as he once was. Same could be said about Solly really!
  • JamesSeed said:

How would playing Pearce, Tex and Bauer as a back three with wing backs pan out do we think? Against strong opposition it might be worth a try?

I've gone off Bauer a bit lately, doesn't seem as solid as he once was. Same could be said about Solly really!
    I thought Solly got back up to speed really quickly after his injury.
    I think I agree about Bauer @SheedyCAFC
    | Pearce | Tex | Konsa would be a good back three. With Bauer next in line.
  • JamesSeed said:

Bauer always was promising but liable to make stupid mistakes, so I don't think he's changed much really
  • edited March 2017

JamesSeed said:

Bauer always was promising but liable to make stupid mistakes, so I don't think he's changed much really
    Difficult for any defender to look totally solid when the defensive lineup changes as often as it has for us this season. All the most successful sides, these days, will rotate in attack, but leave the defence largely unchanged because it is all about partnerships and understandings. It's a team game everywhere on the pitch, but particularly in defence.