Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD announces coaches to joint protest at Coventry and season-ticket policy

The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) is urging Charlton fans to “keep right on to the end of the Roland”.

Despite welcoming recent indications of a potential change in ownership, CARD notes that the club has claimed it is not for sale. The campaign therefore continues, and in addition to another joint protest with Coventry City fans next month, CARD is asking fans to delay purchasing season tickets for the 2017/18 season, which have finally gone on sale today.

Following last October’s joint action at The Valley, CARD is teaming up with Coventry supporters again to protest at the Ricoh Arena on Good Friday (April 14th, 3pm kick-off), in a joint demonstration against Duchatelet and the Sky Blues’ owners Sisu.

More details will be disclosed in due course. But to help protestors get to the Midlands and also to boost support for the Charlton team at the match, CARD is running its own coaches, fare £13* from across SE London and Kent. This is a third cheaper than the club’s price.

CARD has also announced its intention to stage a day of action at the final home match, against Swindon Town, on Sunday, April 30th (noon kick-off). Activities will be tailored to the circumstances at the time, including the situation of the two teams.

A spokesperson said: “We plan to take back The Valley on the final day of the season and are asking fans who have been staying away, whether in protest or frustration, to return and send a resounding message to the next owner about what Charlton can be. This can be accomplished inside the ground or outside, for those unwilling to buy a ticket.

“We welcome the prospect of new ownership, but it is important any buyer understands that the current board of Duchatelet, chief executive Katrien Meire and former chairman Richard Murray is toxic. There is no case for continuity.

“In our view, Meire has shown herself to be unfit to run the business and Murray’s consistent defence of this regime over its three years of failure has utterly destroyed his credibility. Their continued presence risks poisoning any reconciliation process.

“Last summer the club lost 40 per cent of its season-ticket holders and many who did buy later felt they had been tricked by false promises of a promotion challenging squad.

“It is obviously for each supporter to make their own decision, but we would strongly encourage anyone inclined to renew to wait for developments.

“Our passion is Charlton, not protesting, so CARD will end when Duchatelet goes, but like others we are keen to put our energies into supporting new ownership and a new management team in repairing the damage of the last three years.”

Coach travel details and booking arrangements

Coaches to Coventry will depart as follows:

Canterbury (Victoria Hotel, London Road) 9.20am
Medway Services (London bound) 9.45am
Dartford (Heath Lane, nr Halfords) 10.15am
Bexleyheath (Albion Road, nr Marriott Hotel) 10.30am
Bromley (North station) 10.10am
Well Hall (northbound bus stop, nr Dickson Road) 10.30am
Charlton (Makro bus stop, Anchor & Hope Lane) 10.45am

The fare is £13 per person from all pick-ups.

Please make payments to the Charlton protest fund account: sort code 20-68-04, account number 50661678 or via PayPal (as a friend to avoid commission) to protestfund@gmail.com - it is essential you give your name as a reference, then email charlton.card@yahoo.co.uk giving your name and pick-up details.

Comments

• already sorted trains and a match ticket out for this but 6 of us heading up and the thought was that a protest would be happening.. so good to hear one is.
  • According to google maps that's a two and a half hour journey so leaving Charlton around 10.45/11am will mean arriving at their ground around 1.30pm, assuming no stops on the way or holds up for a likely sunny bank holiday traffic. I don't know about you lot but I never seem to arrive at a predicted time my satnav says at the outset these days if there's a motorway/main A-road combination involved in part of the journey and I'm usually in the outside lane and certainly passing coaches not being overtaken by them.
  • Will be in the New Forest and Alton Towers for the respective games but fully support this

Would be great to get 17k plus at the last game to show the potential there, no gimmicks, no stuff on the pitch just good support for the team and plenty of anti Roland stuff thrown in.

I will renew my 2 season tickets as soon as the club changes ownership.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yesss, already got our tickets for Coventry, really glad there'll be a protest - the Cov fans were great at the Valley on pig day. What are we gonna throw at the Ricoh? Hot cross buns? ;)
  • That must be a possibility surely?
  • I thought that the Coventry protesters were asking for a boycott of the match.
  • CARD said:

CARD is running its own coaches, fare £13* from across SE London and Kent. This is a third cheaper than the club’s price.

Someone at CARD needs to sharpen up their Maths skills.
  • I thought that the Coventry protesters were asking for a boycott of the match.

I think that was only a suggestion from a few individuals on Twitter, not seen it mentioned since it first came up.
  • edited March 2017
    colthe3rd said:

CARD said:

CARD is running its own coaches, fare £13* from across SE London and Kent. This is a third cheaper than the club’s price.

A third of £20 is £6.66. So more than a third?

• colthe3rd said:

CARD said:

A third of £20 is £6.66. So more than a third?
    Correct.
  • According to google maps that's a two and a half hour journey so leaving Charlton around 10.45/11am will mean arriving at their ground around 1.30pm, assuming no stops on the way or holds up for a likely sunny bank holiday traffic. I don't know about you lot but I never seem to arrive at a predicted time my satnav says at the outset these days if there's a motorway/main A-road combination involved in part of the journey and I'm usually in the outside lane and certainly passing coaches not being overtaken by them.

Are you suggesting there might be some unforeseen boycott on the road?
  • "But to help protestors get to the Midlands and also to boost support for the Charlton team at the match, CARD is running its own coaches, fare £13* from across SE London and Kent. This is a third cheaper than the club’s price"

Fully expecting Meire to announce free travel now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Booked my tickets.

Cov fans were great at the valley.
  • "But to help protestors get to the Midlands and also to boost support for the Charlton team at the match, CARD is running its own coaches, fare £13* from across SE London and Kent. This is a third cheaper than the club’s price"

Must admit that if they don't offer free travel, I'm going to treat it as a sign that they really are getting out of town.
  • Come on CARD......... Where's the "Full English" breakfast? You know they are going to throw in a Bap and a Coffee to try and scupper your offer. ;)
  • WSS said:

HarryLime said:

"But to help protestors get to the Midlands and also to boost support for the Charlton team at the match, CARD is running its own coaches, fare £13* from across SE London and Kent. This is a third cheaper than the club’s price"

Must admit that if they don't offer free travel, I'm going to treat it as a sign that they really are getting out of town.
    CARD announcing a joint protest means that they are unlikely to offer free travel in the fear that they will be shipping up protesters to join in.
    Don't confuse me with logic. I'm in my happy place.
  • Wish I'd known about the coach plan, as I'd already bought my coach ticket from the club. Oh well.

Anyway, there'll still 4 of us there for the protest. We owe it Coventry after the support they gave us.
  • Will there be match tickets available on the day?
  • Will there be match tickets available on the day?

Definitely.
  • Feeding time.