Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pardew saying we have to sell

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
I feel for all those who have renewed their season ticket with the hope of a free one next year. With it likely hood that we are to sell magic and another one, our chances of going up reduce. Surely if the club are serious about promotion then we must keep all the good players we have left. So I say keep them til Christmas and if its looking good then keep them for the rest of the season, if not then sell in January. That way the club are showing the fans they are trying to go up.

Comments

• promotion..........you're having a laugh, mate !

with the recent annoucement by Pardew (long overdue) that we are now a selling club, the best we have to hope for not just this season but for the foreseeable future is to stay in this division & not to head south like Leicester or Luton.

maybe hope for a small cup run - ie 5th round and hopefully draw a big team for a share of the gate reciepts.

just getting my head round the fact that we are no longer one of the "big boys" and will have to revert to the seige mentality we had in the eighties and early nineties. Respected by others not for the football we played or what division we are in, but more for the face we still have a team to watch every week.
  • Golfie, what team bar maybe the top four in the FAPL are not selling clubs? Look at Spurs, they have been forced to sell one of their best players to Liverpool because Liverpool have a greater financial muscle and draw than Spurs. We were a selling club when Parker was sold, we've never been anything other than one, despite what the management might claim.
  • Bing Keane went 'because he wanted to' like Spotty Judas Parker.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcinperth[/cite]I feel for all those who have renewed their season ticket with the hope of a free one next year.
    This is not the reason I renewed my season ticket.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcinperth[/cite]I feel for all those who have renewed their season ticket with the hope of a free one next year.

How many people people renewed on the basis of the free st? I didn't, WSS does not appear to have.
  • I renewed my season ticket for the same reason I have done for the past 15 years. I love the Addicks.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]promotion..........you're having a laugh, mate !

with the recent annoucement by Pardew (long overdue) that we are now a selling club, the best we have to hope for not just this season but for the foreseeable future is to stay in this division & not to head south like Leicester or Luton..

Oh behave. What club isn't a bloody selling club.
    Anyone deluded enoguh to think we would hold on to Bougherra if a PL club comes in AND pays the money we want then you are daft.
  • [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]I renewed my season ticket for the same reason I have done for the past 15 years. I love the Addicks.

spot on, through thick and thin, for bad or worse, I'll be there.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]promotion..........you're having a laugh, mate !

with the recent annoucement by Pardew (long overdue) that we are now a selling club, the best we have to hope for not just this season but for the foreseeable future is to stay in this division & not to head south like Leicester or Luton.

maybe hope for a small cup run - ie 5th round and hopefully draw a big team for a share of the gate reciepts.

just getting my head round the fact that we are no longer one of the "big boys" and will have to revert to the seige mentality we had in the eighties and early nineties. Respected by others not for the football we played or what division we are in, but more for the face we still have a team to watch every week.

Golfie on a wind up, again .......?

I have it on good authority that he's a closet born again optimist........ ;o)
  • until we start playing in the champions league on a yearly basis we will continue to be a selling club Pardew's announcement was nothing more than another entry in the gospel according to Pardew. He is an expert at telling the fans what they need to hear to keep of his back.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcinperth[/cite]I feel for all those who have renewed their season ticket with the hope of a free one next year.

How many people people renewed on the basis of the free st? I didn't, WSS does not appear to have.

I would quite happily pay for my season ticket next year, a freebie is the last thing I would consider in renewing my ticket. It's all about watching my team!

In fact, if we did gain promotion this year and it helped the club survive in the prem., then perhaps we, as genuine supporters should say to the club, thanks, but no thanks, here's our money, spend it wisely!
  • Its not the fact that we are a "selling club" that bothers me...its the fact that it would now seem we are no longer a buying club which is far more of a concern.
  • spot on Shooters - that was more the point I was trying to make.

Of course we are going to have to sell our best players if a "bigger" club comes sniffing......i'm not daft although most on here may think so. The big problem at the moment is that since May we have effectivly swopped a centre half, let a few fringe players go and brought in a striker (top priority ??) from non-league. Now Pards is saying that apart from more players likely to go (& indicated that it could be more than just Faye & Boogie) the replacements are likely to be inferior, ie not championship quality.

That it th most worrying point about it all.
  • edited July 2008
    'In fact, if we did gain promotion this year and it helped the club survive in the prem., then perhaps we, as genuine supporters should say to the club, thanks, but no thanks, here's our money, spend it wisely! '

I've always thought that. Perhaps if 10,000 fans said thanks but a freebie is too generous here's £250 but it must go into the transfer kitty that would rekindle our affinity to the Club. Perhaps we could even have input into how our 2.5m is spent. An on-line vote with five player choices or a X-Factor type competition where we vote one out each week. That last bit is flippant BUT the first bit is deadly serious.
  • sounds good but everyone has different finances and priorities with what they do with their money. So it's ok for the cash rich on here to say we'll do that but in reality i can't see more than a couple of thousand willing to pass on a free season ticket cos most aren't as mad for it as us lot.... hence our crap away support and lame atmosphere at home games ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]'In fact, if we did gain promotion this year and it helped the club survive in the prem., then perhaps we, as genuine supporters should say to the club, thanks, but no thanks, here's our money, spend it wisely! '

I've always thought that. Perhaps if 10,000 fans said thanks but a freebie is too generous here's £250 but it must go into the transfer kitty that would rekindle our affinity to the Club. Perhaps we could even have input into how our 2.5m is spent. An on-line vote with five player choices or a X-Factor type competition where we vote one out each week. That last bit is flippant BUT the first bit is deadly serious.

Noble sentiments, but the reality is that even the entire ST income in the Premier League is equal to no more than one bad signing by the manager.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]sounds good but everyone has different finances and priorities with what they do with their money. So it's ok for the cash rich on here to say we'll do that but in reality i can't see more than a couple of thousand willing to pass on a free season ticket cos most aren't as mad for it as us lot.... hence our crap away support and lame atmosphere at home games ;-)

Ooh, I understand what you are saying, but I don't consider myself cash rich. If we didn't go up I would still be paying for my season ticket anyway next year. There would probably be at least 5,000 fans doing the same as me. Even if everyone said here's £250, that's £1.25m, a very handy cash sum for the club I would say!
  • but would you trust alan pardew with 1.25m essex al , i suppose he could go and purchase another jewel like izale;-)
  • IF we did get a freebie next season I'd definately hand some back via sponsoring a player or some such worthy case.
  • [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcinperth[/cite]I feel for all those who have renewed their season ticket with the hope of a free one next year.

I would quite happily pay for my season ticket next year, a freebie is the last thing I would consider in renewing my ticket. It's all about watching my team!

In fact, if we did gain promotion this year and it helped the club survive in the prem., then perhaps we, as genuine supporters should say to the club, thanks, but no thanks, here's our money, spend it wisely!

I take it that you don't have a wife or kids, cos I can imagine what my other half's reaction would be if I was suggest something like that to her!!
  • Sponsored links:

• We are more than just a selling club, we are a sell all club.
  • I'm more worried about the state of English cricket
  • Large, all words fella.

Should we go up this season I will happily sell my house and car and give my life savings to the club.

As you can see, I am very optimistic for the season :)
  • Do you know what? Feck it all, I don't care who we've got in the team, I can't bloomin wait now and am gutted to be missing the opener (so called friend getting married)....

Bring it on - whoever is in the team we're going to be better than last year and that's all I ask for!
  • edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I'm more worried about the state of English cricket

more importantly mate you are bang on.

Confusing selection - sounds like a Pardew team talk LOL
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]Do you know what? Feck it all, I don't care who we've got in the team, I can't bloomin wait now and am gutted to be missing the opener (so called friend getting married)....

Bring it on - whoever is in the team we're going to be better than last year and that's all I ask for!

better than last year? prepare for disappointment dude..

:D
  • i cant see us as being in any worse stae than last year if any in fact i feel we are slightly better off my reasons being

1. The players at the club havent changed that much so they have had longer to bond and gel as a team

2. We have a new unkown starlet in our ranks who is ready to burst on the scene as an unkown quantity in an area of the pitch in which we have been desperate.

3. My expectations are lower and so should everyone elses we are not this Big team that should whoop everyone so get over it and have and breath a bit of confience to the players.

4. Our main competion in this league has got harder however they are also buying a lot of new players and like us last year unless they get extreemly lucky they will take time to gel and bed in.

5. i believe that players like Thomas have changed their attitude, we have not got the biggest squad so everyone knows they have a chance like Racon, Shelvey, Waggs, dicko, Fleetwood and therfore if they are sportsmen they will be driven enough to oust players currently in their position.

6. Toddy may just see this as a make or break season and find the form he showed at pompey to get one last shot of the big league

7. I dont think we should be concerend about loosing Bougy i do think he was a good prem player but that doesnt always make you able to play in the chumpionship i would like to keep him of course but if he goes he goes.

8, and most importantly we are not being lied to or decieved as to what way the club are trying to go down, the are being honset about our financies, they are putting the trust and focus on yoof and that can only be comended.

We may not go up folks but we are a long way off of relegation and doom and gloom
  • Thomas changed his attitude? OK he ran around a bit in the first half at Brighton but did you see the way his shoulders and head went down when someone clattered him lightly in the second half? He got up and slouched slowly after the play like some disgruntled, sulky six year old. Can a leopard change its spots? Don't think so.
  • Thomas could be the key this season i have heard he is leaner and up for the challenge this year why put it fully in in a meaningless game on a hard pitch what did it matter?

Thomas has never been an agressive player so i wouldnt have thought of any more of him

we just have to wait and see is all i am saying and if the only fault found so far in the above is JT sulking then we are still in a better place than last year
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i cant see us as being in any worse stae than last year if any in fact i feel we are slightly better off my reasons being

1. The players at the club havent changed that much so they have had longer to bond and gel as a team

2. We have a new unkown starlet in our ranks who is ready to burst on the scene as an unkown quantity in an area of the pitch in which we have been desperate.

3. My expectations are lower and so should everyone elses we are not this Big team that should whoop everyone so get over it and have and breath a bit of confience to the players.

4. Our main competion in this league has got harder however they are also buying a lot of new players and like us last year unless they get extreemly lucky they will take time to gel and bed in.

5. i believe that players like Thomas have changed their attitude, we have not got the biggest squad so everyone knows they have a chance like Racon, Shelvey, Waggs, dicko, Fleetwood and therfore if they are sportsmen they will be driven enough to oust players currently in their position.

6. Toddy may just see this as a make or break season and find the form he showed at pompey to get one last shot of the big league

7. I dont think we should be concerend about loosing Bougy i do think he was a good prem player but that doesnt always make you able to play in the chumpionship i would like to keep him of course but if he goes he goes.

8, and most importantly we are not being lied to or decieved as to what way the club are trying to go down, the are being honset about our financies, they are putting the trust and focus on yoof and that can only be comended.

We may not go up folks but we are a long way off of relegation and doom and gloom[/quote]

So aside from the fact that we are missing our best supply and striker from last year??