Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

No-mark agent's amazing LinkedIn rant about Slade

This got caught up in my LinkedIn feed,and I could not resist having a go.
Apart from what he actually says about Slade, what gets my goat is that he does this on LinkedIn, thus demonstrating again that football is a "business" of charlatans, paid many times as much to do things many times less professionally than in normal businesses. His beef is that Slade keeps failing yet keeps being hired. Well I can think of many people in my sphere who have achieved the same, and privately of course I discuss such scenarios, discreetly. But to gob off on LinkedIn, and name the person I am slagging off? That is unbelievable.

So do join the fun if you are on LI (anyone can view). In retaliation I fired off a rant about agents, which in turn has drawn the ire of one Thorsten Nowak, but so far he too has failed to explain what professional value he brings to the business of football.

Slade could possibly have grounds to sue the OP, I would have thought...

Comments

• He definitely chose the wrong forum to do that in. And his writing didn't make him look too sharp either. It is amazing that Slade is in yet another job, we can't ignore that, but stick to football forums.

By the way - I clicked on your profile Prague, which meant you would be alerted to me spying on you, so I felt compelled to connect.
  • Not even a particularly accurate rant and highly debatable that Slade has a track record of failure. He's certainly not been the most overtly successful manager ever, but Orient punched above their weight with him, Cardiff finished close to the play-offs, we were not pulling up any trees but he had a rebuild job on his hands and kept us away from trouble in a way his successor has struggled to do, and Coventry, well, yes they are down, but lots of other factors at play there so not likely to be just Slade's fault, although certainly some of it is undoubtedly his.

He may have a general point regarding serial failures of managers getting rehired, but Slade seems a slightly odd target. He certainly should remember LinkedIn is not Facebook.
  • That was a fun read.
  • Probably worth pointing out that we were not in a relegation battle when Slade was sacked. Very unprofessional rant and I imagine Slade has beaten one of his clients to the job.
  • I detest LinkedIn with a passion. I joined a year or two ago because I was told that in my business (as a financial adviser) it would be good for referrals & business opportunities.

I've never had either & the only requests I get to "add" them to my network (or whatever its called) are from recruitment consultants and I get about 1 a week from these people.

btw, the best place I've had referrals from is on here.
  • I detest LinkedIn with a passion. I joined a year or two ago because I was told that in my business (as a financial adviser) it would be good for referrals & business opportunities.

I've never had either & the only requests I get to "add" them to my network (or whatever its called) are from recruitment consultants and I get about 1 a week from these people.

I find it very useful, received many contacts for my business.
  • edited April 2017
    stonemuse said:

I detest LinkedIn with a passion. I joined a year or two ago because I was told that in my business (as a financial adviser) it would be good for referrals & business opportunities.

Me too, but I get requests to connect from lots of dodgy financial advisers who simply want to get at my network of well paid professionals. I click the "feck off" button.

:-)

• stonemuse said:

I detest LinkedIn with a passion. I joined a year or two ago because I was told that in my business (as a financial adviser) it would be good for referrals & business opportunities.

Me too, but I get requests to connect from lots of dodgy financial advisers who simply want to get at my network of well paid professionals. I click the "feck off" button.

To be fair to golfie, as I'm not sure if that was a dig, but I've completely swerved LinkedIn for a few months - as barely a day goes by without multiple recruitment consultants contacting me about completely irrelevant positions.

On occasion I've even been "catfished" by unscrupulous bastards running multiple profiles with stock photography as profile photos, funnily enough their agency didn't seem to see an issue when I complained.

I used to be quite polite, and always take the time to give them a friendly response - after all, you never know if circumstance is going to change. Sadly I've given up on that tact because just how dirty the industry is.

Your experience is going to be largely industry specific, but in my industry at least, it's difficult to avoid the ill-informed bottom feeders out for a quick buck. They'll have disingenuous job titles which make you suspect you're actually connecting with someone who is useful, have no qualms about attempting contact via your existing employer, make no effort to match candidates with the right kind of role, and rely upon nothing more than a scattergun approach.
  • As for the agent, he comes across as a right tosser.

Factually inaccurate and potentially libellous. The bloke who replied to you also seems like a prize cock as well, Prague.

The only decent soundbite to come out of Roland was his approach to agents, a shame that it never worked out.
  • @LuckyReds I should have added a smiley and will do now. Golfie is a properly regulated advisor, whereas unfortunately out here such regulation doesn't exist, and too many unscrupulous Brits have taken advantage of that. Those were the people I referred to. Sorry to hear about your experiences with recruitment consultants. I am starting to feel like those guys on the thread above who are claiming 'we are not all cowboys' (but they still fail to show their value.

As an aside I just whacked up on there the relevant figures for Forest. 2015 Revenue £17.4m . Payments to agents the following season, £3.5m. Think about that for a minute...
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't access on my phone.

Someone cut and paste it please
  • @Henry Irving

Enjoy...

Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh
    Football Agent,Sports Division Relationship Manager at White & Company (UK) Limited
    21h
    Ok so what drives me mad regarding people and so called business people in football.
    The name Russell Slade is about to be appointed as the new manager of Grimsby Town, well this season so far he Russell Slade has been sacked by Leyton Orient Relegated, sacked by Charlton Athletic still fighting a relegation battle, sacked by Cardiff City who were in a serious relegation battle, sacked by Coventry City who when he took over were above the drop zone, then took them to the bottom of the table including a January transfer window, now relegated, and now his 5th job in one season is about to be named manager Grimsby Town, I am totally appalled I know him and have talked football with him regarding one of my players, forget being a nice man, but I wouldn't employ him as my gardener.
    This kind of jobs worth in football is a massive problem in our game.
    Where is the ambition from a board of directors making a decision like this, it's unbelievable.
    Open options for Lee Marsh’s post
  • Not even factually correct. How long ago did he leave Orient?
  • LuckyReds said:

As for the agent, he comes across as a right tosser.

Factually inaccurate and potentially libellous. The bloke who replied to you also seems like a prize cock as well, Prague.

The only decent soundbite to come out of Roland was his approach to agents, a shame that it never worked out.

But he's got an MBA, and I haven't. End of...

• Not even Dowie got sacked four times in one season, never mind Slade
  • LuckyReds said:

As for the agent, he comes across as a right tosser.

But he's got an MBA, and I haven't. End of...

I had a mate from the Midlands who had a WBA
  • Can't argue with the main point that how does he keep getting jobs but as Henry says the article is so wrong, the guy left Orient in 2014!
  • edited April 2017
    I get job seekers from India trying to connect to me, bizarre
  • Oh the irony of a football agent ripping a manager.
  • Another one has piped up on there who obviously failed to flog Slade one of his "clients".

Football agents are like a Frankenstein monster version of executive search.
  • Sponsored links:

• @Henry Irving

Enjoy...

Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh
    Football Agent,Sports Division Relationship Manager at White & Company (UK) Limited
    21h
    Ok so what drives me mad regarding people and so called business people in football.
    The name Russell Slade is about to be appointed as the new manager of Grimsby Town, well this season so far he Russell Slade has been sacked by Leyton Orient Relegated, sacked by Charlton Athletic still fighting a relegation battle, sacked by Cardiff City who were in a serious relegation battle, sacked by Coventry City who when he took over were above the drop zone, then took them to the bottom of the table including a January transfer window, now relegated, and now his 5th job in one season is about to be named manager Grimsby Town, I am totally appalled I know him and have talked football with him regarding one of my players, forget being a nice man, but I wouldn't employ him as my gardener.
    Where is the ambition from a board of directors making a decision like this, it's unbelievable.

What a load of rubbish! This facts are dreadful! 5 teams in one season lol! No just Charlton and Coventry, which I know is bad enough but we are only in relegation trouble coz of Karl Robinson not really Slade!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

He definitely chose the wrong forum to do that in. And his writing didn't make him look too sharp either. It is amazing that Slade is in yet another job, we can't ignore that, but stick to football forums.

By the way - I clicked on your profile Prague, which meant you would be alerted to me spying on you, so I felt compelled to connect.

I hate giving LinkedIn money because of their data mining and the fact that they were hacked back in 2012 (I think it was) and announcing it like last year, but having Premium so I could stalk you both incognito really is worth it ;).
  • I will add that I do not necessarily disagree with, nor am I surprised by, his assessment of Slade. Lovely chap, mediocre football manager. And Slade is a good sign that British managers, below the top flight (and increasingly the Championship) get jobs based on experience, or their personality, or who they know, rather than a proven track record of success or at least a complex, nuanced, and modern approach to the game.

But not on LinkedIn. You know what, not on any social media. It's childish and petty.
  • The fella keeps landing on his feet, unbelievable Geoff.
  • This got caught up in my LinkedIn feed,and I could not resist having a go.
    Apart from what he actually says about Slade, what gets my goat is that he does this on LinkedIn, thus demonstrating again that football is a "business" of charlatans, paid many times as much to do things many times less professionally than in normal businesses. His beef is that Slade keeps failing yet keeps being hired. Well I can think of many people in my sphere who have achieved the same, and privately of course I discuss such scenarios, discreetly. But to gob off on LinkedIn, and name the person I am slagging off? That is unbelievable.

So do join the fun if you are on LI (anyone can view). In retaliation I fired off a rant about agents, which in turn has drawn the ire of one Thorsten Nowak, but so far he too has failed to explain what professional value he brings to the business of football.

I have to say I disagree - some agents perform a valuable task in protecting the interests of their - often very young - clients. Without scrupulous agents the balance of power in a contract negotiation would rest entirely with the clubs.
  • @Henry Irving

Enjoy...

Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh
    21h

I must admit, I can't see much the writer coud be sued for. My view is that Slade's real talent his hidden to us. He must have the best interview technique in the world!
  • @Henry Irving

Enjoy...

Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh
    21h

I must admit, I can't see much the writer coud be sued for. My view is that Slade's real talent his hidden to us. He must have the best interview technique in the world!
    Learnt all he knows from Dowie.
  • edited April 2017
    Some managers get a job, do well then have a bad season and never get another job. Slade in all his years in management has never won a promotion. There is a clue in there somewhere, If you don't know what you are doing and need to appoint a manager, there is a cheat that might give you half a chance. That is appoint a manager who has previously won promotion at a club with less resources than yours. Not fool proof, some willsay Robinson is proving that but it may be different with his own players, but you certainly shouldn't appoint a manager who doesn't know how to get promoted surely!!!!
  • se9addick said:

I have to say I disagree - some agents perform a valuable task in protecting the interests of their - often very young - clients. Without scrupulous agents the balance of power in a contract negotiation would rest entirely with the clubs.
    I believe the PFA used to offer that service - maybe they don't anymore? You can always get a family solicitor to sit in with you or just a sensible friend. I understand Gary Neville never used an agent in his life, and he seems to have done very well. If any agent was scrupulous, why would he want a cut from the player and the club?
  • Another one has piped up on there who obviously failed to flog Slade one of his "clients".

Football agents are like a Frankenstein monster version of executive search.

Can you copy and paste what the other agents said too mate?