Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Groundhopping

Comments

• se9addick said:

Went to watch Union St-Gilloise v Tubize In the Belgium second tier play in Sunday at Heysel.

St-Gilloise are the third most successful team in Belgian football (after Anderlecht and Club Brugge) but have fallen on hard times recently and won 2-0. Very off watching a match in a 90% empty stadium with a dark history.

Have they rebuilt the stadium since the disaster?
  • se9addick said:

Went to watch Union St-Gilloise v Tubize In the Belgium second tier play in Sunday at Heysel.

St-Gilloise are the third most successful team in Belgian football (after Anderlecht and Club Brugge) but have fallen on hard times recently and won 2-0. Very off watching a match in a 90% empty stadium with a dark history.

No, the terracing has been replaced by seating but I think it's essentially the same stadium. They are building a new national stadium in Brussels which will also become Anderlecht's home ground.

I walked around the ground but couldn't see any tribute to the disaster which I thought was odd.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

No, the terracing has been replaced by seating but I think it's essentially the same stadium. They are building a new national stadium in Brussels which will also become Anderlecht's home ground.

I walked around the ground but couldn't see any tribute to the disaster which I thought was odd.
    Did they produce a programme?
  • Managed to do North Ferriby last Saturday.

Dover brought about 80 which I thought was a great turnout.
  • I'm in Amsterdam for work so thought I'd pop along and and watch some football - Amsterdamsche FC are in the third tier and are Amsterdam's oldest team ("much older than Ajax" a guy I chatted to in the bar told me proudly!) quality is probably Welling standard but they have a brilliant bar
  • se9addick said:

I'm in Amsterdam for work so thought I'd pop along and and watch some football - Amsterdamsche FC are in the third tier and are Amsterdam's oldest team ("much older than Ajax" a guy I chatted to in the bar told me proudly!) quality is probably Welling standard but they have a brilliant bar

Nice one, did they produce a programme?
  • Of the teams likely to be in league 2, I can add another four grounds to my Charlton attended list.
  • se9addick said:

I'm in Amsterdam for work so thought I'd pop along and and watch some football - Amsterdamsche FC are in the third tier and are Amsterdam's oldest team ("much older than Ajax" a guy I chatted to in the bar told me proudly!) quality is probably Welling standard but they have a brilliant bar

Yep
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Yep
    Good work.
  • Of the teams likely to be in league 2, I can add another four grounds to my Charlton attended list.

There is no 'do not like' button.
  • Sponsored links:

• Main entrance/Clubhouse of Uckfield yesterday.

The gate of approximately 48 meant there was not a queue for a half-time coffee.
  • Main entrance/Clubhouse of Uckfield yesterday.

The gate of approximately 48 meant there was not a queue for a half-time coffee.

If the worst comes to the worst, and Douchbag and Daisy don't eff off, how many relegations do we need before we play here?
  • Down to league two, down to conference, down to conference south, down to ryman premier, down to ryman south, then another one will see us there.

I make that about six mate.
  • 48 is a bit exact for 'approximately'?
  • 48 is a bit exact for 'approximately'?

Hit me with it, yes I am an anorak.

However, I would normally do a headcount but in non-league circles you do not know if the officals pay or have free admission. The official gate on the Sussex League website was 42.
  • Officially 147 at Whitstable Town V Erith Town yesterday, the same day that the World Snooker started. Merely coincidence I'm sure...
  • Officially 147 at Whitstable Town V Erith Town yesterday, the same day that the World Snooker started. Merely coincidence I'm sure...

Nice little ground down there, one of the better in the Kent League.

Nice little ground down there, one of the better in the Kent League.
    Also in easy walking distance of some very good pubs!
  • Stig said:
    This link is fantastic for keeping track of the grounds you have visited.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've hit the 92!
    Only 16 in England though :wink:
    https://www.footballgroundmap.com/addickson
  • Surprised to find Ladywell Arena on there, so updated my map. 153 in total. Where did my life go? Oh well, off to the Valley again for 90 mins of torture.
  • As the smallest away contingent thread has been derailed a tad I thought I'd open this for us enthusiasts of a new ground.

Shrewsbury will be my 92nd for a second time, I completed it before in about 93 when I visited Mansfield.

I will be contacting Shrewsbury and hope that I get an acknowledgement in the programme.

Often thought of doing this myself but I'm always pulled to my senses, when I realise I'll be watching Charlton, then sanity is quickly restored.

How many times have you seen a Charlton win on your travels?

And how often have you come away from games and asked yourself, why am I doing this?

Hope this doesn't come across as a put down, it's not intended.
  • Just coming back from the Eastbourne derby, Town 4 United 1.

A terrific quirky little ground shared with the cricket, hockey, bowls and the CROQUET clubs.
  • As the smallest away contingent thread has been derailed a tad I thought I'd open this for us enthusiasts of a new ground.

Shrewsbury will be my 92nd for a second time, I completed it before in about 93 when I visited Mansfield.

I will be contacting Shrewsbury and hope that I get an acknowledgement in the programme.

Often thought of doing this myself but I'm always pulled to my senses, when I realise I'll be watching Charlton, then sanity is quickly restored.

How many times have you seen a Charlton win on your travels?

And how often have you come away from games and asked yourself, why am I doing this?

Hope this doesn't come across as a put down, it's not intended.
    Having been going since '76 I have seen a few away wins and up to the past 12 months I have never questioned why I go.

Now that the Belgians have ripped the guts out of the club I cannot take anymore until they f*** off. It comes down to a principal with me.

I have always groundhopped and thoroughly enjoy the grass roots game.
  • addickson said:

I've hit the 92!

Penzance is impressive from Scotland.
  • Stig said:

addickson said:

I've hit the 92!

@Stig Not really, on holiday in Cornwall and my Dad took me to see a pre-season game vs. Burnley. Reckon it was about 1972. Burnley had Martin Dobson, Ralph Coates et al and won about 11-0 I think! Was my first ever English game, so I'm counting it :smiley:
  • addickson said:

Stig said:

addickson said:

I've hit the 92!

@Stig Not really, on holiday in Cornwall and my Dad took me to see a pre-season game vs. Burnley. Reckon it was about 1972. Burnley had Martin Dobson, Ralph Coates et al and won about 11-0 I think! Was my first ever English game, so I'm counting it :smiley:
    I always thought of Ralph Coates when I saw Arthur Scargill on the tele!!!
  • Anyone on here downloaded the Groundhopper App? £2.99 but I only got charged half of that for some reason. Really good way to list all matches you've been to and new grounds etc.