Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Life End of Season Thank You's 2016/17

Time for the annual collective round of applause and general 'thank you' to everyone involved behind the scenes here at CL and to all our posters. We have left it a week as, well we won’t dress it up, it has been an absolutely awful year both in terms of the general Charlton backdrop, but also on many other things impacting on CL and our users.

However, we won’t dwell on that too much now. The real tragedy was that the end of season party at CL Towers was not its usual extravaganza of drunken, naked debauchery, but instead a wake-style afternoon tea and carrot cake, with the awkward silence occasionally punctured by @Stig and @lancashire lad half-heartedly releasing party-poppers to much tutting and shoulder shrugging.

Anyway, on to business. We are incredibly fortunate to have built up a loyal team of volunteers here at CL Towers, lured by the high pay, attractive benefits package and wake-style end of season parties. I won’t name them all, they know who they are, but were incredibly grateful to every single one of them for the inputs they put into CL. Whether that be running competitions, writing previews, providing commentaries, compiling stats or providing moderation. Thank you each and every one of you.

Despite all the general gloom, we’ve managed to have a pretty successful year where it comes to fundraising. We are delighted that our support and links with the Community Trust’s Upbeats programme continues so strongly. It was a huge honour to see Charlton Life once again adorn the shirts of the Upbeats kit. Through our fundraising for Upbeats Day and our Fixtures competition, we’ve managed to raise £9,326 for the scheme this season. This goes a massive way towards their annual costs, so thanks to every one of you who bought auction prizes, or simply donated so generously. Tracing back at previous fundraising, I think this puts the total our members have contributed towards the Upbeats scheme at just over £43k, which is fantastic.

Another success was a number of our users forming the ‘Covered End Choir’. Expertly driven by Tel, they went on to produce (amongst other things) the excellent protest shirt. A 1,000 of these were sold and the effort in terms of bringing this both to fruition and the distribution involved was simply immense, far more than anyone not in the loop would have been aware. As a result, it generated some great profits, leading to £5,500 boosting the Protest Fund and two local charities supported. The Charlton Park Riding for the Disabled School benefited from £3,500, enabling them to go ahead with desperately needed renovation work and the laying of a new, safe patio area. A few of us were fortunate enough to go along to the unveiling recently and get to learn more of their work, and it was fantastic we were able to support in this way. Alongside CPRD, £3,500 was also raised for Demelza House, who equally were hugely grateful.

In addition, our members have so far raised this season £1,360 in support of the Museum, £375 for the benefit of a Lib Club barmaid battling an aggressive cancer, £4,300 to the funeral costs of support Ian Oxley that had been imposed on his daughter, and over £2,000 towards the hip operation required by CAFC Ladies striker Gemma Shepard.

Thanks to everyone who has supported such a great fundraising effort.

Sadly, one of major downside of communities such as this is the reality of losing members. We were sad to lose a further two members this season, @nichorob and @red_murph taken far too young in their 30s and 40s. With the growing Lifer army in the Sky, they are gone but not forgotten and our thoughts remain with their friends and families.

Thanks for continuing to use CL, we really do appreciate it. We wish you all a wonderful summer and hope more than anything that being a Charlton fan, whether you are a boycotter, protester or regime tolerator, is something that starts being enjoyable, fun and positive again. Soon please.

Up the Addicks!

Lookout, AFKA and the rest of the party popping crew

Comments

• Top modding by all, and all the charity givers and grafters behind the scenes.

And a big Happy 40th to the Top Mod, @i_b_b_o_r_g
    Enjoy your day Big Rob.

• Cheers to all, still a great site and visited every day.
  • thanks for all the dedicated work CLifer chaps
  • Dont know where I'd be without CharltonLife to get me through each day.

Great job from everyone involved
  • CL goes from strength to strength and another great year - and also for our amazing Upbeats.

This is a real community with heated debate, humour and, not least, compassion and friendship, the last two personally felt by me in spades over the last few months.

Well done to all that make this place happen.
  • PaddyP17 said:

@JiMMy 85 - an excellent breakout season on the match threads. Thanks very much for your efforts mate.

Definitely best newcomer award.
  • Sponsored links:

• Who won best new moderator?
  • Love CL.
    Sterling work from you guys as always.
    Thanks for running the site the way you do :+1:
  • Talal said:

PaddyP17 said:

@JiMMy 85 - an excellent breakout season on the match threads. Thanks very much for your efforts mate.

Definitely best newcomer award.
    Joined in 2009 :neutral:
    Yeah but he's new to the list of people with official jobs on CL, otherwise known as the Clique.
  • Curb_It said:

Top modding by all, and all the charity givers and grafters behind the scenes.

Enjoy your day Big Rob.

Cheers B x
  • Curb_It said:

Top modding by all, and all the charity givers and grafters behind the scenes.

Enjoy your day Big Rob.

Agree with the bit about the birthday, not so much the top mod
  • Macronate said:

Who won best new moderator?

I_b_b_o_r_g is looking into it
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks from me to all the mods/helpers and posters who make this place a good community to be part of.
  • Huge thanks especially to all those who paddle like mad below the surface so that the rest of us can float serenely above.

Will leave you to imagine the swan image.

I'd post it now if only I could work out how...
  • A big hearty slap on the back from me to all the moderators

(helps them stop having to deliver it to themselves no one wants to be a wanker)

• My thanks to all mods and all (well most) posters. It makes following Charlton from Thailand so much more pleasurable, though under current circumstances that is an adjective rarely used to describe supporting our team!

• CL has become part of my life, so many lovely people on here, and a big thanks to the mods and rockers
  • CL, first call for all CAFC and much, much more! Many thanks to the 'behind the scenes crew', much appreciated. Also to the amazing posters of such wide, varied and interesting topics, a truly knowledgeable bunch to inspire.
  • Great stuff one and all. Difficult times but keep fighting the good fight. Thanks for all the work.
  • Thanks all for all the effort put in, also for wasting my life away on here... or making work go a bit quicker :P
  • If the SMT at CAFC swapped roles with the SMT of CL, we might be higher than League One but life would be so dull without visiting this forum.